looking for Countach Project | FerrariChat

looking for Countach Project

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by phrogs, Feb 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Ok first please don't hate me for asking I understand alot of people ask about this but I am really looking.

I am getting ready to leave for Iraq again and im starting my search for a countach I want to get to know those of you who own and love these works of art.
    It may take me years to find one so I would like to start my search now.

I on the other hand have only had some of the vehicles I have had becuase I am a DIY from rebuilding engines and transmissions to body work and paint. I do it all and I have the facilities to complete these jobs. My wife calles it a garage I like to refer to it as my man cave.

Something a owner might not want to pour more money into maybe the car has been sitting and collecting dust in the garage?

I am looking for a countach that is in need of paint work mechanical work and or drivetrain need a rebuild it is not out of the question.
    and I love a car that needs paint body work best way to save a buck on a project well for me anyway Ill complete a 10K paint job for less than 2K becuase labor of love is free!

Wrecks are not out of the question but I would prefer to stay away from any salvage cars looking for more of a restoration canidate.

Im looking for a 400s 500s or a QV

I am not interested in a aniversary countach and a 400 is out of my price range they are just out of reach but I would love to restore one.

I know im searching here so any car is concidered if anyone has any kind of leads for a countach in this condition I am serious and would love to bring a countach back to life.

thank you

johnny

2. Euro QV

Euro QV Karting

Jun 25, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    John N.
    I can't help you with car, but I would like to say thank you for your service. Stay safe and God bless.

John

3. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve
  4. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    If you ask me this looks like a very good entry level Countach at this moment. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lamborghini-Countach-1986-Lamborghini-Countach-QV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6290QQihZ005QQitemZ150214093815QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
    I have no affiliation with the seller, so do your own due dilligence.
    Sincerely Vic

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    +1

do the cosmetic's right at the 80% savings you spoke of and this car looks like a GREAT candidate - all the best in your pursuit and share the restoration once you are underway!

6. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If you are interested in this one you had better hurry. I believe this car will be headed out of the country soon. It just had an engine out service but it does need some paint and leather work.

7. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

I love it so I cant explain why I do it but I have had alot of fun being a US Marine and I have been all over the world.

8. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

For what Im looking for Id like to stick to the 50K range since I want one that needs work.

I have been talking to the guy on ebay about his got a bunch of pictures and it requires a complete repaint which im cool with but I think he is asking to much for what it needs cosmetically, I understand it just had the engine work done but a perfect example of what I want to avoid I dont want to pay for 25K in service for what the majority of the cost is in labor.

9. A 50k Countach is going to be a rare find in any shape. Your best bet might be to run a add in Hemmings.

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I would agree that a $50K Countach will be a rare item and will need more than a little enthusiastic "sweat equity".

Even if you are a truly gifted "shade tree mechanic" you could easily find yourself over your head.

11. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    No im a real mechanic just not a certified lambo mechanic

Thats what I want, I want something I need to work on, I don't feel you know your car untill you have busted your knuckels on it a few times.

If I can turn wrenches and keep a 75 million dollar aircraft flying I can work on a lamborghini trust me on that one.

I would like to find one priced right to reflect what is wrong with it. I mean when you have a car that needs paint and leather work and it is going for 7k less than one that needs nothing I see that as overpriced.

I have seen a few 500s and QVs lately going for low to mid 80s and the rest are advertised at over 100K but never sell.

so what are they really worth?? only what someone will pay for them.

Please don't think I do not believe they are worth the money I do. I just can't come in at that level and keep all the rest of my current cars and I want to keep them as well, but I want a project I know they are out there I just need to find one.

Im looking at comming in with a project a car one that may have been abused not loved or has had problems and needs love and attention.

It will be a learning experience a great car I can keep for a long time and have alot of fun with.

50K may have been low but I guess there is no real place to ases value of countachs because they are all over the place.

also dont check nada for values of these.

12. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    What price range should I be looking for I see you like to bring them back from the dead 2NA please Thats why im here to learn, find and absorb knowlage.
    Make friends and contacts

13. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    $50K Ain't going to happen and if it does it will require $20K in parts alone. Just for conversation sake you can rest assured that a $50K Countach will need a clutch job period. Now depending on the model 2 valve vs 4 valve the clutch T/O Bearing & pressure plate assembly will run you anywhere from $5K to 10K in parts alone. The car will at least need an engine reseal, especially seeing that you have just removed it from the car so plan on another $3K for gaskets, belts, hoses, tune up parts, fluid and filters. The car will need paint and interior work so throw in another $2K for that. The tires will be junk so there is another $2K "IF YOU CAN FIND TIRES". Then there is the rest suspension, brakes, ac. You will have hundreds of hours spent on getting the car back in shape and at least $15K to $20K in parts. Do the math $50K on a pig of a car and $15K to $20K in parts + 200 to 250 man hours of labor at no charge = $70K. Not a good decision, spend the money up front and get a PPI before finalizing any purchase. IMO the low end on the Countach at this point is $65,000.00 and probably not a good decision for the above listed reasons. The white 86 Countach seems like a good value at the moment because of the above listed items. I would make an price offer on this car relative to the outcome and findings of a PPI. Best of luck, Sincerely Vic

14. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Above everything else I guess I should have aksed what to look for when shopping for a Countach.

Is the clutch just one of those things you change as a matter of fact when you get a countach? Or are they just a weak link and owners burn them up regularly?

Like I said im here to make frineds not enemys my 50k coment has touched a few nerves I appologise I thought that would be a good base number for a project car its a ball park number thats it.

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Don't ever let anybody tell you that it ain't gonna happen. I remember over 25 years ago reading an article in Car Craft magazine about how to shop for a muscle car. Under the heading of Corvette it said that the good deals were LONG GONE. Absolute hogwash. Back then, if you had paid the absurd price of $10,000 for some ragged out 427 Stingray and pushed it into a garage and threw a cover over it, you could sell the same car today for probably 5 times what you paid for it. I had a guy laugh at me when I told him that I was selling my 67 GTO because I hoped to find a decent Stingray. He said "You don't think that you're actually gonna find one, do you!". I just said that I was looking. I finally found a completely stock looking 66 Stingray convertible, bought it for $6500 and drove it home.

The naysayers will always tell you what you can't do. Ignore them and keep looking for the car in the barn. Even if you find a clunker Lambo that needs a ton of work, it will become that hypothetical "Stingray in the barn" that people will be trying to buy from you even if you never do a thing to it.

And don't let anybody tell you that Ferraris and Lambos don't have anything in common with a lowly Corvette. They will be the same people trying to beat you to the door of that barn, trying to swing the deal before you do. They aren't making any more of those old cars, and they will always be in demand, junky or not.

16. I think the advice given has been pretty good so far, most of it from people that actually own a Countach, have owned one, and work on one (2NA gave me great advice on fixing a leaking water pump for example). One site is coparts.com, it's a salvage dealers auction site. You will need to get a licensed dealer to bid on them, but you can check out the list. I have seen several Ferrari's, a Pantera, and several Lamborghinis. Ofcourse these are salvage vehicles, but this is where the flippers go. Horsefly is right, when these things are cheap, the buyers swarm like flies on horse $#%*.

17. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I checked out Coparts. Notice this warning especially for Arkansas buyers on their website: http://www.copart.com/bidcard/arkansas.htm

This is a fine example of good ole boy politics in action. I'm located in Arkansas, so I knew about this scam before seeing it on the Coparts page. Here's what happened. There are dozens of rebuilders located here in Arkansas and some of them are associated with the state political types. There were dealers from Texas who were showing up at the Arkansas salvage auctions and buying up any cheap clunker that they could fix up. In the past, most of the clunkers went to Arkansas buyers. But with the increased demand for running cars down in Mexico, the Texas dealers were drifting further north into Arkansas and beating out the Arkansas dealers for cheap clunkers that they would take back to Texas and sell off to Texas and Mexico buyers. So the price of cheap clunkers at the local salvage auctions were being bid up higher by the competition from Texas dealers who were willing to pay more for the cars. The Arkansas rebuilders wanted some protectionism from these out of state bidders that were upsetting their sweet little applecart when it came to cheap rebuildable clunkers. So the good old boys in the state legislature passed a law requiring out of state dealers to pay a bidders fee and get an out of state bidders license before they can buy cars at Arkansas salvage auctions.

I found the whole circus quite intersting because I've always thought that salvage auctions were a violation of Anti Trust Acts anyway. They won't allow NON-dealers to bid on cars at auction, and most salvage auctions won't even allow a NON-dealer to browse the lot without a licensed dealer present with you. These shade tree rebuilders and wheeler dealers want a clear shot at bidding at whatever they want WITHOUT any competition from anybody. So they prevent NON-dealer individuals from bidding and now they prevent out-of-state DEALERS from bidding unless they pay a license fee to the state for a few hundred bucks. Pure political protectionism at its finest.

18. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Its cool I will not be derailed Im still going to look for one.

I actually have a log in to copart and havent seen any countachs on there, I would prefer to stay away from a salvage right now.

The search will continue There are so many Countachs to choose from I think that the desision will come down to color more than anything as I will like I always do restore the car to factory specs.

Thanks for the help guys!

jp

19. There was a red QV that was smashed up badly, pictures of it are on this site somewhere, I think under "sad Countach" , it came from coparts. I have a friend that does wreck rebuilds & he has bought several from there and it has worked out ok, he is who told me about the site.

20. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow

First let me apologize to both yourself and Horsefly if I came off a bit harsh, that was not my intention. The statements I made reflect watching the Countach market over the past several years. That is not as many years as some here, however it is enough to cast relevance on market values and how they have changed over the past years. Several years ago you could purchase decent Countaches in the $50K range, that being said you could also purchase a Miura for $65K now look at their values respectively.

Horsefly I believe your reference to the Corvette you bought for $6,500.00 was in the past tense, it sounds like a great deal especially if they were bringing $10,000.00 at the time. I am a big fan of the second generation Vette, however I do not think it is a fair comparison to a Countach because of the production numbers.

Lamborghini made less than 2,000 Countaches over the 15 year run. Of these there were approximately 700 2-valve cars and 1,300 4-valve cars. Chevy produced 122,744 second generation Vettes. In 2005 Chevy celebrated the small blocks fifty year milestone. At the time they had produced almost 90 million 350 small blocks. The componentry for the Vette is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of Lamborghini components for the reason of supply and demand amongst others.

What I know as fact is that a clutch for a 2-valve Countach is $670, a T/O bearing is $3,900 and a pressure plate is over $4,100 and rising due to the euro vs the dollar. Now that’s a hefty sum of money for a clutch job, does this mean that every Countach needs a clutch, no. But chances are that if you are buying under the market value you are going to have repairs that dictate the lower price. The 1986 Countach that is listed on eBay was purchased several months ago from a sponsor here. If memory serves me correct the asking price was around $69,000.00 with disclosure that the clutch was slipping. Given this information the buyer had to price into his purchase approximately $10K for the clutch alone. Now I don't know how much the car was sold for, but I do know that $28K was what it took to get it to the point where it is now. I believe it would be fair to say that the cost of the parts alone amounted to half of the bill or $14K.

Are there $50K Countaches? Yes certainly, there was a carcass of a Countach that the asking price was $25K. The point is that the low end of the market is going to cost you more in the long run than buying in the mid-point of the market. Again best of luck to you and certainly no flame war intended towards Horsefly, Sincerely Vic

21. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I understand the Cost of parts its understandable due to the low number of cars that were ever built there is not a big demand for the parts.

Where do you shop for parts for your Countach?

22. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Depends on the part usually the local dealer, Evans Automotive or GT Parts. However some parts can be cross referenced IE: don't spend $700.00 on a OEM distributor cap when the Jag v-12 cap costs $89.00 or a $500.00 slave cylinder when you can rebuild your own for a couple bucks or just buy the Fiat slave for $80.

23. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    in italy you could find almost anything for countach: from OZ wheels, to badges, wings, lights, engine parts, boonets...ecc
    prices are sometimes reasonable, sometime not (redlambo is right, engine parts are usually the most expensive)
    the strong euro does not help to

i will second the suggest to buy a good one as you can, it is the best option for save money in the end
    i bought a good one and i spent in the top of the market then.... i have seen a "cheaper" one that was for sale when i got mine in my mecanic shop: believe me i am MORE THAN HAPPY to have spent 20k euro more for the expensive one ;)

if you have problems find parts, feel free to contact me, may be i could help you for parts in Italy

24. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Any of you know who I should talk to about a possible import from canada?

Epa's website is pretty vauge.

25. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France

Since you go to Irak, may be you could spend some time in Dubai and hook up with thay guy John. He did what you want to do for a purcahse less than you are looking for. the guys in Dubai or Saoudi Arabia dont really care about the money but the car will need a complete take down which is what you want. The issue is that these guys never took car of the cars. If it gets of out gas they tend to leave it in the desert and buy something new.