LP640 tail lights conversion on Murcie | FerrariChat

LP640 tail lights conversion on Murcie

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by masar, Jan 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    #1 masar, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I did LP640 lights conversion on my 2003 Murcie. Posted this in other forum, however i think it might be helpful also here for someone who think about this.

Personally i dont like the strandard Murcie tail lights. Seems to me as big mistake from Lamborghini they introduced them in 2002. Solution is black/smog them, however i dont like this neither. So i went for this conversion and i am more than happy with result.

Below basic info and pictures. Basically it means 2 big issues - 1. Cut part of original inside bodywork (not visible) 2. Rewire the lights

1.Cutting bodywork
    After removal of original light (picture 1), its neccessary to cut original holder + cut also some bodywork. I used standard tools i have home like grinder,rasper.... 2nd picture shows cut original holder + marked area which has to be cut as well.

3th picture shows all cut. I just did not cut the small lip on the left side. This bodywork must be cut because the LP640 light has different shape, different bigger edge and due to this bigger edge it just does not fit without cuting. And now the problem. I went too far and cut also area which is visble after you install the lights back. I marked it red on the picture. Be careful, dont go so far and cut only the line which is marked blue. I had to refix it and local paintshop is going to repaint this small part. Its not big deal but just dont repeat my mistake.

2. After you do the cut, light fits just perfect, another picture shows it. I did not feel necessary to produce the new holder since IMO the light is tighted like hell using the existing bolts. Its also holded by its edge and car body. I was not able to move it at all so i decided not to go for the holder. At least for now. I will be watching it and i if see any problem, i will produce and put also the supporting bracket. So its uo to you.

2. Rewiring of connection.
    Original light has 6 pin connector while new LP640 light 9 pin connector - this has to be rewired.

I cut the 6 pin connector from original light and putted it on new 640 light. Very easy job if you know how to proceed. Below pictures and basic info.

Using voltmeter or similar device is neccessary to check which wire is what (like brake,reverse,turn.....) and make scheme on paper. One scheme for original 6 pin connector,second for LP640 9 pin connector. Reason why there is 9 pins on new LP light compare old 6 pin is that there is 3 x ground (compare 1 ground on old light) and 1 additional wire for main light. To make it even more easy, below is exact description which color is what so you dont need any device or scheme.

Old light 6 pin
    red/blue wire = fog light
    red wire = reverse
    black wire = ground
    green / blue wire = turn light
    green wire = brake
    green/white light = main light

old light small 2 pin for side light
    purple (connected to green/white coming to 6 pin) wire = main light
    black (connected to black coming to 6 pin) wire = ground

New LP640 9 pin
    3 x black wire = ground
    blue wire = fog light
    brown wire = main light (5W)
    green wire = reverse
    white wire = main light ( 2 x 3W)
    red wire = brake
    yellow wire = turn light

Than you just cut both connectors and put (using sockets) old 6 pin on the new light. 3 black gounds coming from light are connected to one black ground on 6 pin and 2 main lights are connected one one pin of 6 pin main light. Simply just follow the colours according above description and you can not miss.

Than you just add tha small 2 pin for tha side light and job is done.

First picture is new LP640 light with connected old 6 pin (cutted 9 pin is marked). Second picture more detail. Third picture is finished job also with added 2 pin connector for side light.

3. Last pictures show the work done. IMO its just amazing and worth any penny/work. Its huge difference and absolutely no difference compare original LP640. Its not possible to recognize anything,it fits perfect. Also the lights work well so rewiring described above is correct.

For those who will go fo it, hope this helps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. arnaget

arnaget Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Jason
    wow, very nice looking update to the Murcielago and a very informative thread. thank you..

3. HolyRoller

HolyRoller Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    SE NC
    Full Name:
    Captain Slow
    Great job, and thanks for letting us know. Now I won't have to spend 100k extra for a 640 over a Murci just to get propellers in my taillights. Looks fantastic!

4. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    what a diff that makes!

5. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Now , go for the exhaust update :rolleyes:

6. enzokidd

enzokidd Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2009
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shaunt
    damn those exhausts are huge!! that isn't stock..is it??
    great taillights btw!

7. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    #7 masar, Jan 27, 2009
    Thanks guys, i am very happy with the look.

Not neccessary go for exhaust, i have already Capristo on the Murcie ;)

These lights are stock OEM LP640 lights. They are basically same overall size as standard Murci lights.

One more picture.....

8. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    +1

9. Sportscarnut

Sportscarnut Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    #9 Sportscarnut, Jan 27, 2009
  10. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    Thats great. Did you go for original Lambo bumpers,skirts or some aftermarket copy? I mean i am happy with the car now, just did not like the standard lights. Checked prices of rest LP640 bodyparts and they cost fortune......

11. Sportscarnut

Sportscarnut Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    All OEM factory parts were used except the side skirts (which are made by Premier).

12. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    I thought they are Premier ones, at least they fit standard Murcie much easier and looks great. The Premier front just suck IMO. Damn, all OEM parts - so looks like you spent few bucks ;)

13. Puncheeng

Puncheeng Karting

Sep 24, 2008
    By the Water OC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Didn't this car make love to a mountain or some ****?

Did you buy this car after that? With all that I've been readin here and on the lambo site, I sure as hell hope it was disclosed to you.

Looks pretty tight tho

14. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Yes, this car is on consigment with us. We have disclosed all info in the add, as well as have all documentation on OEM parts bought and paid for and the body and paint work completed by a high quality license facility in California...also listed in the add..

I welcome any further info that some may have that we are not aware of...thanks in advance..

http://www.catsexotics.com/web/1317/vehicle/236955/2002-Lamborghini-Murcielago-

15. Aimee

Aimee Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    AIMEE
    Wow........... can't really say much more than ...............wow. Ouch my friend, not the nicest way to strike up a conversation...

16. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    I have to admit that car has been my latest "first one with the lotto winnings". LP640 looks, manual 6spd, and the right color at a nice price, with a history that allows one to just daily drive the ever-living hell out of it without any guilt whatsoever. Sadly my numbers weren't drawn this week, and I'm not Mr. Pending... I hate you Mr. Pending, whoever you are...

17. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    As per this vehicle he was rear ended and there was No structural damage to the front or rear, just cosmetic. Hence all that was needed to make it correct were the front and rear bumpers.

18. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    #18 SFchallenge, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
    Petr, that's most kind of you. I've had the set of LP640 lamps sitting in my store for many months now & haven't got around to change them yet. I'll pass your info to my guy to fix it.

Thanks!

Btw, did you change the rubber seals around the tail lamp as well? Mine looks a little old. I've sealed the joints of the new lamp with silicon as the existing one tends to get moisture fogged up in there.

19. JoeyM

JoeyM Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    RI
    Full Name:
    Joey M
    how much are LP640 tailights?

20. kaz550

kaz550 Formula 3

Jun 21, 2005
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    Zak
    around $2500 for the pair

21. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    Jon, i did not put the rubber seals back at all. The LP640 lights have different outer edge and seems to me that the seals dont even fit, actually there is no space for them. The LP lights fit just perfect, can not imagine to put there additionaly the rubber seals. If you fit original Murcie lights, there is visible gap and space for the seals but with LP lights due to different edge there is nothing, they sit on body and make perfect line.

22. Puncheeng

Puncheeng Karting

Sep 24, 2008
    By the Water OC
    Full Name:
    Jim

Got any snap shots of the car after the wreck ? Wondering how bad it was.

23. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    thats about the price i paid from eurospares.co.uk pretty good price imo concerning the rest of LP640 body parts

24. FilipF430

FilipF430 Rookie

Nov 2, 2006
    Czech republic, Prag
    Full Name:
    Filip
    That looks awesome! I cant wait to see it in person! good job.)

25. RapidEM

RapidEM Karting

Dec 18, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Edward