I owe you guys a BIG apology | FerrariChat

I owe you guys a BIG apology

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by JoeZaff, Dec 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am a dyed in the wool Ferrari guy, always have been. While I have found many of Lambos designs absolutely breathtaking, I have largely dismissed them due to their lack of a racing pedigree.

I am sorry. I am so sorry. Today I had an experience that was so incredible, it changed my world view.

A good friend of mine is an exotic car broker. I have been toying with the idea of getting another ferrari, a 550 Maranello, and went to his place to give her a look. As soon as I got there I saw a beautiful euro Countach sitting in the back. I simply couldn't get my eyes off of her. I took the 550 for a drive and was uninspired. I liked it but it was way too easy to drive. While on the drive, I asked him about the Countach. Sensing my interest, he offered to take me for a test drive.

I am still grinning 5 hours later. James May is out of his mind if he doesn't like this car. From the moment you climb through and over the massive sills and try and settle in the narrow slit that passes for a cockpit, you are aware of the sheer theater of it all.

Settle in, turn the key to the on position and wait a second or two as a little mechanical ensemble tunes up behind you. Turn the key and whammo. She roars to life with incredible thunder and mechanical madness. I let her warm up a bit and then pressed down on the impossibly heavy clutch. I released the clutch carefully, but still almost stalled her. I tried again and we were off. What an incredible drive. I drove at a very reasonable and cautious speed but it was a fricken beast. Everything is so immediate and in your face. It really feels like you are riding a bull that would gladly kick you off and stomp your face if you screwed up. You fight this car into submission and then, suddenly, everything clicks. It is the most rewarding car I have ever driven. It really is. Once I learned what she wanted, and understood her, she gave back so much, even at our relatively casual pace. The steering, the brakes, the ferocious engine. I felt like I was holding back a hurricane, but once my timing was right and my inputs satisfactory, she was absolutely docile and happy.

Yes, you can't see anything out of the back, Yes, the split window on the doors all but guarantee that you can't view your side view mirrors. Yes the car isn't that fast by modern standards, the heat works for crap, and if the pedals were any closer together you would have to lubricate them, but SO WHAT. If you want a comfortable supercar, buy a 911 turbo, or even a 458. This car has BALLS...and not human balls... big fat elephant balls. I cannot believe how much I adore this car. As beautiful as it is to look at, it is infinitely more entertaining to drive.

Now I am really in a spot. I want this car, I need this car, but it makes absolutely no sense in my life at this time. I was looking for a low profile exotic that I could take to work and drive around town without much fanfare. A Countach CERTAINLY does not fit that bill. Because of that, she would likely spend 95% of her time sitting in the garage collecting drool. Still, I am obsessed with her.

So to all of you, I shall now eat the biggest crow I can find. I have driven countless different Ferraris and have been driven in countless more, I have also driven the Gallardo- --which I hated, and various Porsches, AMGs, etc.

Nothing I have ever driven could have prepared me for this.

I am head over heels in love with this car.

2. No need for an apology. The Countach is a beast. Sure there is compromises, there always is in any meaningful relationship.

3. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    just buy it! ...:)

i sure understand you, when you understand the car, it is so rewarding to manage and drive
    yes, you will not drive it as much as some modern exotics but it is such an experience when you are in the right mood

what model - year was this countach?

4. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    2,307 posts and NOW you learn of the fabled Countach?????? Without the Countach there would be no supercar. Primal, brutal, visceral....perfect!!! What are you waiting for????

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great thread :)

6. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    Yes Buy it and drive it , not everyday but as much as you can , How much fun would that be .!

7. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf

No need to apologize. You are realizing what many have known, and many more are learning. If you want to be involved and engaged in the driving experience, nothing beats a Countach, of any variant. Some want to be removed from the experience and their drive to be easy and effortless, almost brain dead. There are many cars for them, especially modern ones with all their computer assisted this that and the other. To many, including me, that is not driving, that is being driven. The Countach is all about driving.....getting on the bull with all the fear of getting thrown, stomped, gored....only to be rewarded for conquering the beast and having the most involved driving relationship one can have with a car. And that is just the driving experience. After that, you have the chance to admire the radical and advanced engineering and design that went into the car and the mobile piece of art that it is! The Countach will shock all five of your senses (in a good way)!!

8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The Countach will become easier to drive, when you have more experience with the car. It takes a while to become comfortable with the car. I also found it easier to work around the visibility issues, when I had spent more time with the car. I did not even know where to look, the first few times I turned around to look around for the blind spot, just before I changed lanes. I drove the car with socks and had no other issues with the space between the three pedals.

The car begins to make sense at fun speeds.

The steering feels awesome at speed :D

Buy it. Don't look back.

9. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #9 gurslo, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
    just wait. that was only your FIRST encounter.

10. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    nothin' like a countach

nothin' :)

buy one

11. Speed Demon 1

Speed Demon 1 Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2009
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    SS
    Any deatils on the Countach? Year, miles, model, price...

12. qvpower

qvpower Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Cali
    especially when you have gotten in faster cars and still get blown away by the ct even though it may be slower than many out there. Thats when you know its an exotic car. The experience itself is exotic. The moment you cocoon yourself in the cockpit is really special. Forget about the people who say it lacks headroom. Thats part of the whole appeal. The car doesnt fit you. You fit the car. Of course, now with car companies focusing on appeasing its customers, bigger head room bigger car etc, that exotic experience that you just experienced is sorely lacking nowadays.

However, as a counterpoint, make sure you drive it at times where there is no bumper to bumper traffic. the ct feels most fun in the morning time when there is very little people, you and the car together at speed. keep her in traffic is going to piss off the bull big time, and its gonna make you sweat;)

13. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    The only way to redeem yourself is to post pictures...

14. smglop

smglop Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2005

15. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    we live only once... buy it !

16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I felt that way earlier this week when Joe Sackey gave me a ride in the LP500 Series One, to say it is seriously impressive is an understatement.

17. trmather

trmather Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2007
    Merseyside, UK
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Wait, people really think like that?

Wow.

18. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    very very true

19. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #19 JoeZaff, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Fair enough :)

I did snap a couple of photos of her on my cell phone to show the wife. I apologize for the quality. As for the specs on the car,I rather not post too many details until after I have made the decision to pass or not. I made the mistake of posting info on another car I was interested in once before only to watch it get sold out from under me. I spoke to the mechanic tonight, whom I know personally, and the car appears to be a well cared for and sorted runner. In short, its a really stout car. I don't know much about Lambos at all, but she seemed to be in beautiful shape. The interior was immaculate, leather soft and supple, and the paint looked great. I have no idea how they are supposed to run, but this one started right up and didn't choke or sputter at all.

I drove her today on country roads and away from any traffic. I really can't imagine driving her on anything other than a country road, especially given all the attention she seems to attract.
    Great car, I just need the weekend to think about whether I can fit her into my lifestyle. Right now, I can't see how...but boy do I want to try!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf
    What model year is it?

21. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Well Joe, I guess your way forward is clear... grab those big fat elephant balls, hold on tight, and make sure they go home with you! :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

22. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    In any other context, that might have sounded strange. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

23. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C
    Well now you have experienced it, it will be on your mind forever.

A Countach says

If you drive me you will never forget me.

24. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Victor its looking very much like a Fuel-injected USA-spec 1987 Countach QV.

25. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf
    I thought maybe that also, but he said 'Euro' so I was confused, but the front bumper, tall wing, and what looks like some black on the rear deck lid where the FI version vents would be make me think like you, but I'm still confused when he said Euro.