The Cheeta LIVES!! | FerrariChat

The Cheeta LIVES!!

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by roytoy2003, Jan 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    #1 roytoy2003, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So a little more on the Cheeta Truck built for Lamborghini at the Geneva Show.

We have been able to confirm the truck DID come back to the USA after the show. It landed in LAX in late 1977, of course we have documentation for this, both the written and the pics.

As we go, I will share with you all on this wonderfull find and it's being brought back to the public world and viewing.

So, here we have a pic of the Truck in October 1977, just outside of a "House of fun" in Nevada State. After the truck came back to the USA, it went out to the Deserts of Nevada were a 5 minute commercial was made, (yes we have a copy of it now), it was never aired or released. It was produced for Lamborghini in the hopes of furthering possible sales. After the shooting, the Camera team wanted a little R and R...and these nice lady's were kind enough to come out of the "House" and do a little posing. (of course I had to black out the not allowed here parts-LOL)

A little more..the truck WAS NEVER NEVER EVER tested by the USA military as many think and as reported in numerous places (because if it was a Military test vehicle it could have never left the country for Geneva-so it was kept as a "Commerce" test vehicle-only way it could be exported out of the US at the time for the show).

IT ALSO NEVER EVER was in the Middle east being tested in the sands..it was tested in the Sands in the Central area of California Coast as well as the Deserts of Nevada. It ALSO was NEVER EVER WRECKED and cut up into little pieces..and NO there was NEVER EVER two of these made either, just the one...when the Company and this One of One truck was sold off to another Company that attempted to take the design further.

So I guess let the skeptics start...but I KNOW what I have...More as this fun project goes further, and the history I NOW OWN.

LOVING IT!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 97diablo

97diablo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2007
    Congrats Roy!!! Awesome find!!

3. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Just some "teasers" of the documentation we are getting put together, a real tough job to locate all those involved over 30 years ago..one thing is nice..back then people kept writtten documentation..and nice that so many involved still have these documents today..this is going to be such a fun project. I get exicted a little more each day!

"Lamborghini (Italy) contracts ***** (San Jose) to design and build a Cheetah prototype that could be shown off and eventually put into production by Lamborghini once a customer was identified. Lamborghini was having financial problems at the time, so money for this came from a Swiss investor through Lamborghini. After a chain of events, Lamborghini was not able to find a customer for the deal so the project stopped. However, before the Cheetah was returned to the US, Lamborghini showed it at Geneva and copied as much of the design as possible. (they paid **** for the concept vehicle development, they did not own the vehicle or the design... so they had no rights to copy anything. You see the results of this in the LM002 that came out later)

Lamborghini held the Cheetah from **** longer than they agreed to have it for display purposes, but once **** got it back there was nothing else to do with it, so it sat for a short period. Then **** was trying to get the contract to build the Hummer for the US Military, however, **** they had no previous similar vehicle experience, which was not going to look good for the US Military / government. So **** purchased the Cheetah project from **** so that they could show and tell the government that they had experience."

4. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    So who is ***** ??

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I thought it was spelled C h e e t a h ?

But I haven't done the research........

6. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    What's new, just copy the info from another
    Source and claim as yours! Why change
    Your ways now?

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Sound like sour grapes to me. At least I can spell.

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #8 4re Nut, Jan 12, 2012
    What I would give to have been the left front fender back in the day...

9. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Come on guys, no more of this please. I don't know the backstory b/w you two but this kind-of crap has derailed more than a couple threads.

Respectfully,

Steve

10. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    WOW sorry I can't spell!

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You are right Steve. At least I can claim to never start anything :)

12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

lol...i was going to say. :)

13. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Google's browser Chrome helps tremendously b/c of the built-in spellcheck, but not with words like Pinin. :eek: ;)

I think we need a separate "Roy" and "Joe" sub-forums with each banned from the other's. :)

14. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Awesome Roy!!!! More picsin current form please! And how about the vintage commercial!?!?!

15. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    So.... you found the car... you are in the process of purchasing it .... and you plan to restore it back to original glory... : )

16. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    All in due time, I promise

17. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Already have it in my poissesion now, paid for it....and will get it back to as it was...but it really wont need much, pretty much as it was in 1977 already.

18. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    ............................I just fell over............................................

CONGRATS!!!

19. jomoyer

jomoyer Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Josh M.
    Roy, we should start calling you Sherlock!

20. JoshECS

JoshECS Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 3, 2010
    Ashburn,VA
    Full Name:
    Josh Hill
    Very cool, Roy! Great find. Thanks for sharing the back story. It's amazing how these stories of these cars grow over the years.

21. That's a neat find. What kind of drivetrain came in it?

22. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's pretty cool! BTW, I saw a 1/24 scale model of this...match to that 1/12 of yrs perhaps...

23. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Chrysler 300 V8, 3 speed automatic tranny, we have already
    Confirmed the motor number, the tranny number as well as the
    Carb number and the transfer case number with the orginal
    Documents from the orginal build provider

24. pc233

pc233 Karting

May 13, 2009
    Wellington, NZ
    Full Name:
    Paul Clemence
    #25 pc233, Jan 13, 2012
    Well Roy, all I can say is congrats for digging up another piece of Lamborghini's history, and a very important one at that.
    I'm going to post most of these on my Motor Shows thread as well, but I thought they would be appreciated here too.
    Anyway, these images are almost all from the Geneva Motor Show of 1977.
    The first two are from CAR May 1977, the next one in colour is from Auto Motor und Sport, March 1977, the next one is from Modern Motor, June 1977, the next is from Road & Track July 1977 and the large colour and B&W combo is from (I think) Le Automobile April 1977.
    The final shot is from Classic & Sportscar March 1988 and shows, (not very well I'm afraid), a brochure that was apparently produced in Arabic only.
    Reports at the time suggested that the Arabs had placed an order for 200 Cheetahs, there were hopes the Americans would eventually order 20,000(!) and that the possible total production could run as high as 60,000 units per year.
    Eventually the LM Series as it became panned out at a handful of prototypes and 301 LM 002 / LM Americans, ah the stuff of dreams!!!

PS Roy, I also have a Cheetah model in fire truck form which I'm looking to off load. PM me if you are interested as it would be better off going to a good home.