Why would you want this? | FerrariChat

Why would you want this?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by TheMayor, Jan 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  2. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I am not a big fan of kits, but that is one of the best done I have ever seen. Sorry to say but it may be better built than the original

3. vectorfiles

vectorfiles Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
  4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I liked it. The engine sounds like a muscle car, not like a real lambo in other vids I watched. Maybe not a bad thing, I wonder maybe more reliable too.

I couldn't get a feel if it is truly fast or not and how good the handling and ride was.

For me at $75K if it performs better than similarly priced "showy" exotics I'd consider it. I also could see there being someone who will pay up b/c it does look real sharp and I bet 90% of the pp out there would have no clue that's it's a fake.

5. TwiceBaked

TwiceBaked Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Lake Arrowhead Calif
    Full Name:
    Karlton Spindle
    $75K for that is a low price been hearing about this car for years. Hand made, stronger and more reliable then a "original" sure its a "Fake" but next time you look at the body kits on the Gs, Murci and Avantador ask yourself are they fakes or real now?

I am in the process of "re-building" the Twice baked Bull a 1973 P25o Urraco that should have been scrapped. My car with all new parts / modern performance to do my project we had to bring the car forward with non original components, we used an Audi 4.2L to stay VAG but my car is no less a Lamborghini as we started with a Lamborghini. This baby is a work of art only thing it lacks is a Lambo Vin. I say hats off to this car for $75k its not a fiberglass stretched fierro its a car with FORZA an Homage as it were and worth every penny. I hope he gets full price and then some.

6. TwiceBaked

TwiceBaked Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Lake Arrowhead Calif
    Full Name:
    Karlton Spindle
    #6 TwiceBaked, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    Here is his web page http://www.kiengineering.com/ BTW Mayor your own tag line would be one reason its worth so much "A Dino is NOT a Ferrari. It's better."

7. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    IMO, the attraction to well-built Countach replicas is similar to '32 Ford roadsters. They are one of the most popular custom hot rods to build, yet virtually none of them are based on an original '32 Ford chassis. By definition, they are generally replicas, but with far better build quality and amenities over the original.

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Everytime I think of adding a Cobra repop to the garage I come back to reality when I know I'd get the "is it real" question at the gas station. I think I would tire of of having to say it's not.

OTOH, if I were able to say that I built every body panel myself with my own two hands as well as the other 90% of the car I definetly would have more pride in my answer. One cannot deny soem skill level here.

Interior falls short compared to the rest of the work IMO. Neverthelss sometimes people just want to show that they can do something regardless if it makes $ sense in the long run. Overall I applaud the effort.

9. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
  10. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

I very much agree on the interior looking cheap.
    And those Autometers...looks maybe right in a dragster but not here IMO.

11. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well it's not $75K as of this post.
    Unlike the Cobra replicas the drive train is not even close to the original's.

But probably a lot easier to take care of.

12. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Whether forged in Italy or America (or both as it is) that is a work of art. I would put in my garage without hesitiation.

Geno

13. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The "is it real" question might still be irritating if you paid $250K (or more) for a real Cobra.

One of my clients overheard a couple of old ladies at a gas station refer to his Miura as "one of those Volkswagen kit-cars".

I recently learned from my neighbor (a car guy), that one of his friends referred to me as "the guy with the kit-car". What eva! ;)

14. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I'm a bit surprised that this guy is selling after all of the "blood, sweat and tears" he has put into it. It was obviously a labor of love for him. Car looks great and the guy definitely has a gifted talent!

The problem is that this car is so well known all over the internet as the "Basement Built Countach". Pictures, video and discussion on almost all auto websites and forums. If you bought and drove this car around, almost any car person will recognize it. Surely people will want to come up and talk to you about it. If you were the builder, you can take pride in saying that you built it yourself! If you bought it.......you have to admit that you only paid for it.

15. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    The thread title "Why would you want this?" is not what I was wondering...
    I was curious why you would spend 15years building something and then sell it...?
    Of course it might be all about money, but seems like a tough pill to swallow after putting
    your heart and soul into something. I agree with the "front rake" comment and it probably
    is also easier work on. Very cool recreation imo.

16. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Better quality than the original no doubt.......but does that really matter?

And agree, rake and fenders are off.

17. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    That exactly it! "What eva!" I'm not even interest if folks thinks my Countach is a replica. Does not make me even think about it 40 seconds later when I drive away. It's completely out of my mind by then.

18. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I wouldn't call it a kit car. A kit car presents a cheaply done/redone body panels off of an original part, then glued together with messy gaps, waves in the paint, saging roof, 10" gap between the tires and the flares, leather boot over the automatic shiftger to make it look like manual and so on . I would call this a one off custom, or the closest thing to a real countach.
    IT may not cost 125k but maintaining it would not cost 10k either. AS for the sound, exhaust systems can fix most of those. ITs stll a ford drivetrain but an exhaust system can redirect the rummbling sound into a ncely tunned breathable smoke :)
    I give him credit.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    He's got a lot of talent as that is a pretty amazing build. Handmade aluminium body? Rare to find that nowadays. I really do wonder why he's selling it. The only thing I wish he did was take off the Lamborghini logos as no part of it is a real Countach. It would make more sense for him to design and place a personal logo on it as he made it entirely himself and didnt purchase a kit.

Would love to do something like build a car of my own one day, but would try to make my own body design. The engine and transmission would of course be used from something else. ;)

20. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I read the posts and it is quite obvious that the man who built this car did not intend for it to be an exact replica and this car is different than a kit. It is the product of a man with an exceptional skillset building his dream car the way he wanted. Like a Hot Rodder or Customizer he used this project to create and improve or showcase his tallents. I hate kits and replicas but I think someone will find value in the quality of this build.

21. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    +1

22. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Most likley because people like this obviously love to build and create. As soon as the project is done it's out the door to make room for the next. On second thought it could be he finally realized it's not a Countach!

23. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm not going to comment on the build of the car. But what irritates me is it being advertised as a "Lamborghini" when outside of the badges, there is nothing that came from Lamborghini's factory, nor any other parts that would qualify calling or referring to the car as a Lamborghini.

If it were a bunch of Lambo parts, then "building a Lamborghini in my basement" would qualify.

Regardless of the build quality, it's a kit, it's a one-off, and outside of the look, has no connection to Lamborghini whatsoever.

24. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It's not a kit car, there was no kit used to make this. It's a scratch built car, completely different.

25. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Don't say that! All the kit car guys will get excited and feel there is hope when they put that one real part on their car.