LM002 RHD Rolling restoration.. will be updated regularly | FerrariChat

LM002 RHD Rolling restoration.. will be updated regularly

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by BlueBiturbo, Apr 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #9 BlueBiturbo, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #10 BlueBiturbo, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
    Passenger deck area will be sanded down, painted with rustproofing, add sound insulation, re-carpet.
    Leather interior will be replaced.
    Smaller AC unit will benefit front seat passenger legroom.
    Unusually placed circuit breakers (behind the AC unit... nice)will be moved to the left part of the dashboard or rear box/holes under one of the seats.
    Switches will be cleaned/refurbished.

Please be patient. We are not Bobileff / Evans / Tony, but will be doing the best to get the car in perfect condition one step at a time.
    Currently there is only one mechanic/electrician working after hours on the car and me giving a helping hand whenever I can.
    Definitely a lot of head scratching looking at the quality of what's underneath the car and lack of manuals/guidelines.

3. TwiceBaked

TwiceBaked Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Lake Arrowhead Calif
    Full Name:
    Karlton Spindle
    ALL THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!! With DA BEAST

4. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Thank You Sir.
    This is an unintentional restoration :D

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Subscribed!

Quite a project!

6. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    looks great Taffy! you've really taken on a good challenge, but it looks very decent ...much less rust than my old Jag had! :D

7. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Thanks everyone.

This is my first mini resto/repair project.
    So I will do it slowly while gathering infos/manuals/parts etc.

The rust is only on the left front passenger side due to AC water leaks. All other places looks quite normal.

8. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Wow , keep us posted..:)

9. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #17 BlueBiturbo, May 1, 2013
    Found a newer/better AC. Smaller too. Will benefit legroom
    This will be the place for 30 fuses + 6 relays. Will make custom leather covering to keep it looking stock
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #18 BlueBiturbo, May 1, 2013
  11. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    I won't be installing front winch at the moment. Will just keep the buttons in a box.

12. JonathanElstein

JonathanElstein Karting

Oct 19, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Elstein
    I admire your bravery! Most people would not choose an LM002 as their first restoration project.

The UK magazine 'Octane' recently had an article about an LM002 restoration by Lamborghini High Wycombe, who seem to know a lot about this model. It might be worth givng them a call if you get stuck with anything. In my experience they are friendly and helpful.

Lamborghini LM 002 - Home Page

Flickr: Lamborghini LM002's Photostream

Good luck!

Jonathan

13. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Thanks Jonathan.

This is my "unintentional restoration" :D
    The car is mechanically in a good shape, just electrical mess.

I talked to Mr. Schultz at Lamborghini Wycombe about their LM002 resto. Took them 10 months and GBP 230,000 :D
    We will do this step-by-step. The technician I am commissioning to re-wire he car is a genius and also a car freak.
    Luckily the car is not that difficult to repair, after all it is 1990 technology. No ABS, TCS etc. It just needs patience, lots of googling and help from fellow Lambo enthusiasts.

Cheers,
    Taffy

14. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    I sent my ECUs last week to a friend in Melbourne, trying to fix the problem.
    Here's the answers I got today.

First E-mail :
    =========

Hi Taffy,

I have spoken to several people about this:

Injectronics said that they can strip the laquer and resolder the unit, cost is $150 each, but they can not test them.

Paul from Sports and Classic Car services said that they are not Magnetti Marelli ECUs, but were made by Lamboghini themselves. He said he worked at Lambo at the time. He said that when they fail, it's best to throw them out and buy new ones. I have asked him to get me a quote on some new units.

I was not able to find Cark Rhienburger as was suggested on Ferrarichat.

That's as far as I have gotten so far, let me know how you would like to proceed

Second E-mail :
    ============

Hi Taffy,

I also spoke to Competition Services, they were not able to help, but were going to see if they could find someone who could, hopefully they ring back next week.

I also spoke to Paul from Sports and Classic again, he said he had seen your posts on the Vintage Lambo forum. He said he can get the ECUs from the USA, cost is $5200 each!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So ... my ECUs are toast !
    RIP

I guess it is time for Haltech
    Haltech Ps2000 is $2700 installed incl Dyno, compared to $10,400 for Lambo originals

15. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #23 BlueBiturbo, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
    Anyone have any experience using standalone ECUs such as Haltech or Motec ?
    I need some advise please. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Taffy

16. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I never used stand alone on a Lambo, but they are awesome for very specific tuning and having complete control over the car. They are all MAP based, fairly compact, and have great interfaces for tuning.

I used Hydra 2.6 on a built motor & big turbo Subaru, it made life so much easier than tuning on the stock ecu.

Motec and AEM make good products; definitely the top two names in the game.

17. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    haltech & motec are certainly long standing companies with standalone ECU systems, both are really pricy $$ too

personally, I would research anyone who has already run a Lambo V12 on a standalone, and find out their system used, the pros & cons ...so you can lessen the time consuming & costly R&D process, by their project having already done so

the ideal would be to find a system that will utilize the (majority) of existing OEM sensors, then you are not cobbling together bits & custom fabricating parts to make a system "fit"

IMO :D