Is this the Italian Job Miura ? | FerrariChat

Is this the Italian Job Miura ?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by eb911, Jun 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eb911

eb911 Karting

Dec 3, 2009
    #1 eb911, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We have been doing some research on Miura #3586 for almost a year now and wanted to share what we have found with the Lamborghini community. The goal of this thread is to discuss the elements leading us to think #3586 is the Italian Job Miura. We welcome any new elements that would come out of the Lamborghini community and encourage discussion.
    We will publish everything we have, not in one post, but regularly over one week or more, so that everybody can read and post his feeling about each element.

The starting point of the research is the unique color combination of the car, Arancio Miura with black interior and white perforated leather seats and headrests.
    The perforated leather is itself a rare feature, as is the bi color interior : all black except seats and headrests in white.
    So we started to watch the movie over and over again, and tried to find any matching elements between Miura #3586 and the Italian Job.
    For those who haven't seen the opening scene recently here it is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zg8PWdVWM0
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. eb911

eb911 Karting

Dec 3, 2009
    #2 eb911, Jun 11, 2014
    It seems that the shooting of the opening scene of the Italian Job movie has been done between the 27th of June and the 30th of June 1968.

On the period pictures of the car, the wheels and spinners clearly appear to be unpainted which was typical of the car being tested prior delivery to the dealer or the owner. It matches the fact that the car had been rented by the Lamborghini factory to the production., and that the car had probably been taken out of the production line prior delivery to the first owner.

#3586 is listed to have a production date of 2nd of July 1968. The meaning of the production date is not clear but several testimonies have confirmed that it was the date the car was ready to be delivered (i.e already tested).
    What do you think of the meaning of this date ?

This would match the shooting dates perfectly as the car would have clearly been tested during the 4 days of filming and returned to the factory on the 30th of June or 1st of July. It would have left one or two days to paint the wheels and fix the little problems if there had been some. Then the 2nd of July, #3586 would have been ready to be delivered.

3. eb911

eb911 Karting

Dec 3, 2009
    #3 eb911, Jun 11, 2014
    On the snapshots here under, taken from the actual movie, the driver of the car might be identified. Some say that a driver was sent by the factory to drive the car on the driving scene, because the factory would not let anyone else drive this then new priceless car on mountain roads. Some recognize the driver and some don't recognize him on these pictures. Any input or clarification would be appreciated to identify the driver.

4. Jasperlambo

Jasperlambo Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jasper
    The driver, if a factory driver, could well have been Enzo Moruzzi.
    He himself told that he was a regular stand-in when Lamborghini's were used in movies.

from an interview:

The films in which I participated with the Miura are:

"The Italian Job" with M. Caine, R. Vallone, R. Brazzi of which I was the stand-in and shot close to the Great St. Bernard. It was a story at the beginning of the mafia and the Miura enters a tunnel and collided with a large tractor and emerged battered, only to be thrown down the slope of the mountain. The production, which was English, remember that you always drank tea, bought from the factory, the body of a crashed car, so I enter the gallery with Miura marching while coming out of the Miura is already destroyed. Fortunately, the shooting went well, otherwise the production would have to buy a new body.

Full interview (in Italian) here: Tecnostoria - Il museo storico dell'auto

5. Diablo_4_Ever

Diablo_4_Ever Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Netherlands
    Is the car located in Italy?

6. silhouette

silhouette Karting

Dec 13, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It does look like Enzo. His daughter is here in Australia. I will ask her

7. eb911

eb911 Karting

Dec 3, 2009
    Thank you JasperLambo and Silhouette.

The car spent most of its life in Italy but left the country in 2013.

8. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
  9. eb911

eb911 Karting

Dec 3, 2009
    Yes, it was for sale there early 2013. Current owner bought it direct from previous owner.

10. eb911

eb911 Karting

Dec 3, 2009
    #10 eb911, Jun 12, 2014
    Very few P400 Miura had been delivered with the round black exhaust tips whereas the normal chrome oval ones. This is a very rare feature on Miura P400. The Italian Job Miura has the black round tips just as #3586.

11. eb911

eb911 Karting

Dec 3, 2009
    #11 eb911, Jun 12, 2014
    The Lamborghini script on the rear left of the Miura P400 is often there but sometimes not. On the Italian job Miura it is not present and neither on #3586.
    As for the Bertone badge, there have been two versions of this badge used by the factory. The time or serial number of the car from which the old badge was switched to the new one is not clearly known. But the Italian Job Miura has the early Bertone badge as has #3586.

12. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    #12 mt_jt, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    I thought all P400's were built with the original shield type Bertone badge? Also, according to Sackeys Miura Bible, the interior's listed as black ("skay nero"). In the movie only the headrests are white although the seats could have been reupholstered in white at some stage of course.

13. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    Great thread, really interesting!

14. eb911

eb911 Karting

Dec 3, 2009
    If I am not wrong the second design badge was introduced around chassis number 36xx, when exactly I don't know.
    You are right the interior of #3586 is listed as black on the register. I will bring more info on the interior later.

Do you think that a Miura P400 has ever been delivered with seats and headrests upholstered in different colors ?

15. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    I think if a Miura can be delivered with orange shagpile carpet then in theory perhaps it's possible! I don't recall seeing colours mixed like that with the seat and headrest specifically.
    One possibility is that the headrests were finished in white for technical reasons to do with the film used and lighting, especially if rear projection was used (likely).
    Just a thought.

16. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    #16 mt_jt, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Also;

They did in fact use rear projection extensively for in-car footage elsewhere so I'm confident they used this technique for the shots of Beckerman piloting his Miura. Obviously they used footage edited in taken from a camera inside the Miura (over the dash) but not for the shots with Beckerman included.
    Where did they film these rear projection shots, Twickenham Studios or Turin perhaps? Interestingly, the Harrington Legionnaire is filmed both on location in Italy and there is also the obvious rear projection edits as well.
    Maybe they did some of these studio shots with the damaged Miura that Lamborghini supplied before taking it out on location and sending it down that chasm? You can clearly see the Miuras dash as it goes over. If this is the case, it might explain why the seats themselves are all white in 3586 but black/grey (with white headrests) in the movie?
    Lots of "ifs" I know. Just thinking out loud as I'm very curious about this also.

17. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    #17 Jota 5084, Jun 12, 2014
    There were some discussions in the Miura thread, that there could be a chance that the Miura that the Shah of Iran had in Gstaad was used in the Movie?

18. eb911

eb911 Karting

Dec 3, 2009
    Yes, #3303 could have been a match. But looking closely at the picture it seems that the window surrounds are chrome whereas the regular production P400 had black surrounds as seen in the movie too. Also the production date is 02/1968, quite far from the shooting dates.
    And we are quite sure that the car was lent to the production by the factory.
    But once again we could be wrong, and if someone has any additional elements we would be happy to have a look.

19. Smurf

Smurf Formula 3

interesting thread to try and locate or confirm the first Miura I ever saw :)

looking forward for more info !!!

20. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    I know nothing about the Miura but for the Urraco and Silhouette the interior colour refers to the leather of the door cards. The build sheets included colours for dash and carpets etc. For example a "nero" Silhouette with cloth interior will have light grey seats and a matching panel in the door cards.

21. espada1952

espada1952 Karting

May 4, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    stephen keen
    This is a very interested thread, there are lots of rumours about the cars in the Italian Job,the sound of the Miura in the Alps was not good enough and I was told by an old Lamborghini salesman that he had the job of driving a Miura through Hyde Park in London on a Sunday morning so the exhaust sound could be recorded,the car was meant to be a white p400,I own 3372 which is an early RHD white car but I have no proof it was my car

22. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #22 Olivier NAMECHE, Jun 12, 2014
    I'm sharing Jasper 's explanation about Enzo Moruzzi.

When I interviewed Enzo for my book, he also confirmed me he was driving the Miura for that movie !

About #3586, I'm not sure.

As previously said, seats are black in the movie and white/cream in the car by now.

But that pitching is the one for the Espada seats... so my guess is it was done after movie, much later, seats & headrest.

In the movie, headrest look like the skai version, but in white/cream, see below.

Also in the movie, I saw the sideskirt & wheels in gold color, not silver...

23. eb911

eb911 Karting

Dec 3, 2009
    #23 eb911, Jun 13, 2014
    The headrest are definitely not like the skai version. See here under a snapshot of the movie.
    I will also post several interior similarities later on.

24. eb911

eb911 Karting

Dec 3, 2009
    #24 eb911, Jun 13, 2014
    On Miura P400, there were two different door panels type, on early cars and later cars. The one of the Italian job Miura is a later style, and on this one two different door trim are found, whether all black or chrome with chrome door handle. On the Italian job Miura the door panel trim is all black with black door handle, and it is the same for #3586.

25. espada1952

espada1952 Karting

May 4, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    stephen keen
    #25 espada1952, Jun 13, 2014
    It seems all the 1968 cars had this type door panel,3372 has the round exhaust tips and the same embossed leather interior only in black,it would be good to prove your car is the one from the film as many owners and enthusiast worldwide became interested in the Miura after seeing the film