LM002 12187 | FerrariChat

LM002 12187

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by nickinafrica, Jan 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nickinafrica

nickinafrica Karting

Oct 10, 2013
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick Petty
    #1 nickinafrica, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After 6 months of sorting out problems and refurbishing, this is the progress so far on 12187, The vehicle was basically straight but had oil leaks, sad interior, ran like a pig and a few electrical problems.
    The main oil leaks were coming from the "C" cups in the back of the cylinder heads, this appears to be a common problem. I stripped out all the interior & refurbished all the leather apart from a couple of pieces that needed replacing, compared to modern cars, the leather in these things is very hard wearing and came back to life very well, full marks to Glipton in the U.K. they provided all the treatment for the leather. the poor performance was being caused a number of things like vacuum leaks, blocked filters (main & primary), low fuel pressure so I fitted adjustable regulators and a faulty connection on the TPS. it still needs the CATS replacing (or removing). I was going to re-paint the whole car, but after a couple of days flatting the paint with 2000 grit and a lot of polishing, it only needs the roof doing and the full re-paint can wait. I also overhauled the front bump stops as they were leaking.
    I still need to replace a front oil seal in the transfer box, and have some parts replaced in the exhaust, fit all new door seals, and of course find suitable replacements to the Pirelli 345/60 R17 tires, I am not happy with the BFG 315/70 R17.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. A well spent 6 months. Beautiful.

3. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    That is F-ing cool! Well done!

4. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #4 BlueBiturbo, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    I must have missed this thread when I was hospitalized.

Great work Nick !
    The C-cups is always a problem.
    Repainting the whole car is not that hard, most of the fiberglass panes are easily removable, except the steel doors.

I also dont like the BFG 315/70-17 but I put that on all 4 corners. You seem to mix them, BFGs on the front and Scorpions on the rear. That will not be good.

Hope You will finish the repairs soon.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    it looks ****ing awesome. The paint flattening makes it look newer :)

6. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    That is one mean looking brick of a truck! The LM002 has always been on my "list" of must own cars.

7. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    What a beast, the interior looks great.

8. DesignPlanBuild

Oct 21, 2010
    She is gorgeous !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I get the impression that you may be in the market for one? There are a few for sale at this time. I would love one on my drive. Love this model. . .

10. DesignPlanBuild

Oct 21, 2010
    I'm kicking myself because 5 years ago these things were worth nothing

The value of this thing over the next 5-10yrs........

11. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Nick,

Did You find anything better than BFG 315/70 ?

12. nickinafrica

nickinafrica Karting

Oct 10, 2013
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick Petty
    No nothing, very frustrating, one thing for sure - not paying $20,000 for a set of Pirelli's.
    Very funny reading some of the compliments posted, when I was considering buying the LM 2 years ago, I posted my intensions and someone replied that maybe I need certifying!!! Maybe I do, but I love the machine, there is nothing to touch them for OTT appeal

13. DesignPlanBuild

Oct 21, 2010
    , but I love the machine, there is nothing to touch them for OTT appeal[/QUOTE]

Nick, how is the ride, overall?
    Overly curious about the machine.

14. nickinafrica

nickinafrica Karting

Oct 10, 2013
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick Petty
    Considering how heavy they are the handling is very good, you can really through the thing into corners, and it just go where you point it & stay very flat, very little role, and the brake are well up to the job as well, if I was going to complain, the clutch is heavy & the lock is not great, but hell it's a 450Hp 3 ton truck that was designed nearly 30 years ago. The engineering is so over the top, I am surprised they are not heavier, I have to admit it is NOT the most practical mode of transport I have owned.

15. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Rather than building the URUS, I think Lambo could make a good profit by reproducing the LM002 with brand new Huracan Engine.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We do

Nothing sane about owning one.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is the thing that surprise people the most is how well it handles.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

We have one and I disagree. Many things about it's construction that made sense for a military vehicle but not a road vehicle, even and on/off road vehicle.

It would be better in every way if it was on a serious diet. It is just too heavy.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Nick, what don't you like about the BFG tires? Very curious.

I do agree it would be better to have them on both ends. Some cars become vicious with mixed tires and this may be one.

BTW, contacted Pirelli and they don't sound interested in ever making more.

20. DesignPlanBuild

Oct 21, 2010

+1

21. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf

I've run those BFG tires, and here's my summary:
    They run very nice down the road. The sidewall is still very stiff and gives great handling/feel.
    They don't look as cool because they are not as wide, but that makes the truck go down the road nicer without as much tramlining. They are actually better in snow, as the narrower and more modern tread is better than the original in snow, but probably not as good in sand....?
    They are a bit taller, which actually makes the speedometer MORE accurate! But, they rub on the left front wheel well liner when turning at maximum angle.
    Overall, I'm happy with them as a relatively low cost, modern, and safe alternative.

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My Scorpions rub there too so I suppose that is a truck to truck variation. Glad to hear my speedo is not the only one.

More chance of me needing snow capability than sand so that is a good thing. I can tell you the original Scorpion Zero was a rotten snow tire. Never had the new Scorpions in snow so can't comment.

Thanks for the information.

23. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    So... no more 345/60-17 tires again ever?

24. nickinafrica

nickinafrica Karting

Oct 10, 2013
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick Petty
    I must agree, the designers could have saved a couple of hundred Kg's without too much trouble, you can see they used 3mm steel where 1.5mm would have been fine, if the designer were working under Colin Chapman (Lotus) he would have been pulling his hair, mind you old Lotus fall in pieces, LM's don't.
    The BFG 315/70 is too tall & not wide enough, mine catch the bulkhead on the drivers side, they just don't look right, you are right about mixed profile, if I cannot get a tyre nearer the size I want I will have to fit 315/70 on the rear as well, it's on the list of things still to do, at the moment I have my 512bb in pieces!!!! too much work, not enough time.

25. taz55555

taz55555 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Maryland
    If you need Pirelli tires.
    We have a set of 5.

Pm if interested.

Taz