Interesting eBay Countach Barn Find | FerrariChat

Interesting eBay Countach Barn Find

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Autosport, Jul 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  2. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Moderator: you just basically ended the discussion on this car by moving this. Can you at least bring back all the post, expect the OP, so we can continue to discuss it?
    Not sure how much you monitor here but we have been discussing these 2 cars for many years.

3. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    why was it moved here anyway? It is a car for sale and many lambo or CT have been under the for sale which is correct.
    if the car is not to be discusssed publicly or past post need to be wiped clean, a lock would not be enough?

4. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Just got this story on my Facebook feed. Very interested in what the Lambo guys have to say. Please put the post back.

5. Geno posted it here. Really he should have posted it up in the classifieds first, unless he was a sponsor. Another mod correctly moved it. No biggie. So we can continue to discuss the car in this thread like before.

History of the find.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/lamborghinichat-com-sponsored-cats-exotics/460562-not-1-but-2-barn-find-countaches-rescued.html

6. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Well documented on Lambo Power. IIRC the owner wanted six figures around 2010. The car definitely has potential, but not at the price-point the owner wants.

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Sponsors pay for the privilege of being the only ones allowed to post about their cars for sale in the regular discussion forums. Geno is not a sponsor.

YOU, however, may start discussion threads here about cars that are for sale by others if you like; THE SELLERS cannot. Geno should have posted his "For Sale" threads in the Classified forum to begin with.

Now that this thread has been created, feel free to discuss.

8. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Well all countachs are six figure cars now. Can you be more precise on what the asking price was in 2010?

9. key03

key03 Karting

Jun 20, 2011
    Chicago
    High five figure is what we all heard at the time and then the liaison/negotiator went dark on the 20 or so trying to buy it.

10. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144060895-post9.html

Victor, great post, Countach restorations are a great topic, and, one for yet another dedicated chapter in a book.

Besides the salient points you've mentioned, all of which go without saying, bear in mind that a lot depends on the person who owns the car at the point of restoration. The owner controls who does the restoration, and how the restoration is executed - authentically, sympathetically, beautifully, or poorly. Its convenient to simply blame the restoration shop for a car that appears poorly-restored, but, often times the decisions and/or requirements of the owner are the main factor. Did the owner know what is authentic for all components & aspects of the restoration? Or care? Did he want it to be 'fully correct-for-period original factory spec' or not? Did the owner have unlimited resources or a shoestring budget, or somewhere in-between? All of the aforementioned are the reasons why as the cars age, when you look at restored Countachs of the same variant (for example), there are major differences from one car to another.

11. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Absolutely. I can tell you from my experience there are questions that come up on a weekly basis that your restoration shop will ask you that will affect quality, originality, and price. Without the requisite historic knowledge of the vehicle being restored (and budget), or in my case someone far more knowledgeable than me giving guidance, it can go down a very different path.

12. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
    So how much is the estimate to bring her back to life/specs?

13. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Good question, cant wait to hear the opinions from those who know.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    IMVHO I think that question is utterly impossible to answer without having the specific car in question disassembled and in front of you, in order to inspect each & every component.

Only then can you begin to draw up an estimate as to what needs to be replaced/restored/repaired/refurbished etc.

In this regard, the similarity between one project car and another is about the same as night & day.

15. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Agreed. An estimate is not worth much.

16. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    On the plus side, this car is a craftsman kinda project, iow, a skilled person with mechanical skills and knowledge in Lamborghini building process, also paint and upholstery connections, 50k in mec,20k body and paint ,15 k interior add 2k in tires and10k misc unknown, then to make shure add 20k additional ,going rate at the time qv dd 1700 miles ,total resto, is 600k? this car should bring 350$.fair price with a buffer for the buyer.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I understand everyone wants to know "what's the price?", but its not so simple.

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You make my point nicely.

19. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    $20k for body and paint is an impossibility for a Countach if you want anything that will last more than 3 years.

20. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #21 geno berns, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    In my opinion a complete nut and bold restoration will cost $175k. A $25k contingency should be built in. George Evans recently restored a Down Draft that Joe will confirm was one of the best results on the planet. The new owner, a seasoned collector with emphasis Lamborghini, is ecstatic with the results. Told me it's one of the best restorations he's seen on a Countach. The white car is a pretty strait car that should not have any snags along the way in the process of restoration. I have full intentions in getting the car restored if it does not sell. I simply have a car in mind to trade into so this one needs to go for that to happen. George knows the car so he can easily be consulted. I believe in a few years it will only be more difficult to find a project of this quality as most of these rare cars will be redone and in hands of collectors who believe the Countach is the next Miura which we all know has gotten away in price escalation from most enthusiast. In return less Countaches will be available.

Geno

21. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    We are judging this from different platforms, the Countach is not made from Panda or unobtainium, its a fair mix of steel , aluminum and steel ,also the real estate it covers is a modest 7x 16 feet, the best materials avail today 3 grand max will cover this car, throw in 170hrs at 100$@hr with skilled quick guys, you might reconsider your contacts/experts IMO ,

22. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    We can agree to disagree. 170 hours seems light for a concours paint. There is disassembly, taking down to bare metal, taping, priming properly (multiple times), painting (multiple times), sanding, polishing, reassembly, etc. I've had several cars painted at different shops and I don't think I can get a proper paint that I'd be happy with for $20k.

23. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    All good points, like i said , judged from different platforms, one can di&%$#@ck around forever or one can actually get the job done, perhaps we get taken in the direction of the infamous cleaner beeing we deal with Lamborghinis.

24. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #25 geno berns, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    Classic Coach painted my red QV DD. They charged $39,850 for the paint. The car was fully stripped. Amazing result so twice the estimate posted by Ella...