Beware RAC Performance in Carrollton, TX; they did not tighten my wheel after service | FerrariChat

Beware RAC Performance in Carrollton, TX; they did not tighten my wheel after service

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by rgregory, Aug 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rgregory

rgregory Karting

Dec 17, 2006
    #1 rgregory, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I took my Gallardo to RAC Performance to have the a/c fixed. When I picked the car up on the drive home the lug bolts on the wheel they removed during the service came loose on the highway. They had not tightened it, car started vibrating terribly when had to hit the brakes. When I get home I jack up the car and the wheel is very loose. I remove the wheel and there is damage to the wheel, rotor, hub and lug bolts. RAC said they would make it right, they towed the car to their shop. After they look at it they tell me they will replace the lug nuts, but not any of the other damaged parts stating it is only cosmetic damage. I told them it is irrelevant if it is only cosmetic or not, the damage is more than cosmetic, the damage was caused do to their negligence.

They offered to take the car to Lamborghini Dallas to have their concurrence that the car was safe. I told them no, that to me is irrelevant, the need to replace the damaged parts.

I could have died had the wheel come off on the highway. They do not stand by their work/mistakes. The lug bolts that they replaced are not the same ones that were on the car, they are a longer 2-piece design that looks bad.

You can see the damage in the photos below where the wheel beat against the rotor at highway speed. Also I have measured the threads on the hub and they have been elongated, I will not drive the car until I replace the hub, I take my daughters for rides in this car. The threads in the hub have been damaged.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Dumb question, why didn't you stop immediately and retighten the wheels yourself?

3. rgregory

rgregory Karting

Dec 17, 2006
    I pulled over and stopped. I wasn't sure if it was a half shaft or what. I called the shop to ask what all they had to remove, no answer left a voice message to call me. I checked for obvious things. Couldn't see or feel anything when tried to shake the wheel so just drove home slow from then. Damage had all ready been done at that point.

I didn't know they had to remove the wheel, I had replaced the compressor before and know how to do that. Guess to get to the dryer the wheel has to come off.

4. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    These guys are grossly incompetent. I went to try to buy a F355 from them back in May and they didn't even know the proper way to jack the car up. My mechanic politely tried to show them where the proper jackpoints are and they got all indignant and stormed off. Oh yeah, I won't even go into how grossly misrepresented the car was in the first place!

I bought a Carrera GT and a Ruf Rturbo 550 from this dealership when it was under the previous ownership. I was shocked at how far they have fallen under the new regime! I would stick with Lamborghini of Dallas going forward for anything more complicated than adding air to the tires!

5. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    It's the part that you state "when I get home" that baffles me. Did you think it was going to go away? As you know....noise = big money in Lamborghinis.

I learned that as soon as I hear a noise......stop driving for good. It is worth the inconvenience of having it towed. It happened to me with my daily driver last year. Though it was torrential rain with the wife and kid in the car, I got soaked going through each wheel removal until the lug wrench spun freely. Thought it was a loose caliper.......

That being said, things like that happen at every shop. So I am understanding with that. It is how a shop handles it from that moment on.
    Keep on them, eventually they will have no choice.

6. rgregory

rgregory Karting

Dec 17, 2006
    I gave them the opportunity to fix it, yes mistakes happen, all I wanted was the damaged parts fixed.

Like I said I was close to home. The vibration went away when slowed down to under 20mph. I live only a mile from the highway and I was almost home, I didn't want leave car on side of road, the shop wouldn't answer my call. The damage had already been done.

7. rgregory

rgregory Karting

Dec 17, 2006
    Yes you are right I should have gone to Lambo Dallas. It would have cost the same anyway. Just thought I would try this shop as a few friends had used them in the past on their Lambos... they won't be going back now.

8. 87-Countach

87-Countach Karting

Oct 12, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Take your car to Norwood Auto Italia (one street over from RAC in Carrollton)
    Been taking my Countach there since 2002 and my Diablo since 2013.
    James Patterson (owner) is great and Mike Luongo (Chief Mechanic) is the man when it comes to all things Lamborghini.
    They are very busy, but worth the wait.

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Karting

Oct 23, 2009
    Dallas San Diego
    I agree, Norwoods is a block over, Mike has been taking care of me for about 5 years now

10. rgregory

rgregory Karting

Dec 17, 2006
    Thanks, if I need anyting in future I'll call them.

11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I agree with this. "Safe" or not, who wants a galled up wheel and rotor hat along with chowed up hub threads? No one, especially on a Gallardo.

Ask them if they mind if you key one of the cars in their inventory. After all it will be safe to drive and only cosmetic.

12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    +1 Had something like this happen to me at the track with one shop and it was a lot scarier than this episode. But they stood up and took ownership in a big way by magnafluxing the parts involved. The result being that they kept a customer.

13. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Why didn't you let them take the Car to the Dealer like they offered for another Opinion ?

14. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    The offered inspection by another dealer was just to establish if the car was still safe. Safe is not good enough, replace the damaged parts, whether just cosmetic or not! Compromised threads in your hub is not a subject for conjecture in my book.

15. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    imagine selling the car-someone would see that damage-they would ask for a price deduction, so you have been financially damaged-cosmetic, safety whatever, you are damaged.

16. rkrenek

rkrenek Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #16 rkrenek, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    sounds pretty ****ty to me. If the wheel issue did in fact cause damage, cosmetic or not, they should fix it.

I'll remember this when my Lambo needs something.

Norwoods is top notch. You will never have this kind of issue with them. James is fantastic.

17. rgregory

rgregory Karting

Dec 17, 2006
    #17 rgregory, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Exactly, they refuse to make it right. I am pursuing avenues to make it right but they are a place to stay away from.

Here was the email I received at first saying would make it all right, they did nothing to make it right.

All they did was put some ugly used lug bolts on my car in place of my nice looking lug bolts I had. They made it worse not better when I sent it to be repaired.