Countach Tires - does anyone care | FerrariChat

Countach Tires - does anyone care

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Longstone Tyres, Dec 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi Team

Please let me know your thoughts on Countach tires.

I know the main thought is they are expensive. they are always going to be because they don't sell enough. From my experience selling Countach tires is a night mare. I currently have some rears on my shelf with a 2012 date code, because i bought them from Pirelli while they had some, and they haven't sold, so i have stock that is now 3 years old.

However the question i really want to know is do you care about weather they are P7 or P-Zero. some people are desperate for P7. But i also think some people prefer the P-Zero please post and let me know your thoughts.

The other thing to consider is that If i get Pirelli to re make the P7 it will probably be more expensive than the the current P-Zero because they will have to make a new mound. the other difficulty will be that the sales of both tread patterns will be diluted so we will end up with older tires out there, and longer gaps between batches. This is important to consider.

My gut feeling is that for the Countach comunity it would be best to stick with the P-Zero but if you are all hell bent on needing the P7 then maybe i can get something done (it will take a year or two, if this is the route we want to take.)

In the mean time if anyone wants my 2012 P-Zero's email me via my web site Lamborghini Countach | Longstone Tyres and make me an offer.

Dougal

2. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    The P7 are correct for most Countachs so I think you will find them being preferred by most owners. Not to mention the tread looks much better to the eye. I say go for it, I would buy them no doubt.

Modulo_B likes this.
  3. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    So do I!

4. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Well, given that people seem to be very concerned when a sticker is placed at the wrong location on the wheel (12h vs 6h) or the s badge is inverted and create an uproar or the alpine is if the wrong serie (God forbid you have another brand), wearing PZeros may simply be a death sentence on the DD.

Over the decade I have watched the purity trend grow. I think people may now prefer to reproduce even mechanical flow of the times rather than having a car than drives with reliability.
    I have P Zeros that is why I only drive at night and I never park under lamp posts.

Honestly, the cars are now barely driven and any new tires will last a long time. Most people buying a fully restored ct at the $500k level will mostly park it for show, hence P7s.
    the new P7 even faithful will never be a original p7 because people will rip the car apart due to the wrong date code.

but seriously, some of us will still get the car out of the garage once in a while so we will have no choices.. then the p zero will become worthless for a non 25th Countach if the new p7 sees light.

5. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Any plans to start selling Pirelli Scorpion 345/60-17 ?
    Pirelli is Abandoning LM owners.
    Nice.

6. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    I do drive my car as much as I can and it wears P Zero, but I would be pleased to put P7 on it since I absolutely love the look of the oversized "P7" script on it.

7. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I could go either way. I drive mine (even though it is only occasional) so as long as there are tires available, does not matter to me.

8. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.

9. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    For the LM002 tyres i believe that there aren't currently any at Pirelli but as they are a Lamborghini only tyre. I believe Lamborghini do have stock. If you can't buy them off Lamborghini let me know and i will see what we can do.

I do have some P-Zero Countache rear tyres on the shelf. they are end of 2012 date code, and i would do a deal on them to people that e mail me or PM me. I only have a few. but this is part of the problem with countache tyres. Pirelli have to make very small batches because they just don't sell, and then when they are a couple of years old no one wants them; which is of course understandable, because you don't want to buy old tyres but when you consider it from the manufacturers point of view you can see how difficult it is.

So am i to take it that it is unanimous every one would buy P7 tyres even if they are 20% more expensive for the rears and twice as expensive on the front?

10. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #10 joe sackey, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dougal,

We need the P7.

Heck, we are hell-bent on the P7, to be specific, the P7R.

Its the most iconic sports-car tire in living memory!

Most importantly, nothing looks more correct on a 1978 to 1988 Countach than a P7.

Yes I know that the PZero is an upgraded tire, but it wasn't engineered for the 1978 to 1988 Countach. It's too square-shouldered, and that grated outer tread looks very contrived and almost utilitarian.The P7's tread-pattern and overall finish is a thing of beauty by comparison!

We want the P7, and we'll pay up for it!

Its the tire of Champions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #11 joe sackey, Dec 23, 2015
  12. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    Caution - a bit of a bulge on the sidewall!

13. rhyno

rhyno Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    I inquired about LM002 tires from my local Canadian Lambo dealer and they can get them for about $5000 CDN per tire!!!! YIKES

14. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Lol, you know it!

15. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    That's not bad! I was told the cost should be $4200 each.......US!

5K CDA = about US3600.

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The purity trend is simply a function of appreciation for the cars. Detailed interest in the cars and increasing values go hand-in-hand. Not only does it come with the territory of increased values, both are a good thing for every Countach owner.

When values are strong - to the benefit of Countach owners - then, its only natural that enthusiasts, owners and prospective owners will be interested in learning and therefore be more in-tune with what is period correct, and what is not.

When the cars were worth just $75k, nobody cared much as perhaps it wasn't worth investing the time to learn, or the car's weren't considered special enough to many. IMHO that was not-so-great and this has changed for the better.

Of course, anyone understands, that it is the owner's prerogative to keep their car in whatever condition or specification they like, so far as they are happy.

I expect the interest in the details of the cars (the purity trend), to continue to grow. Yet, none of this should stop the owner of any Countach from keeping it in a perfectly reliable state and enjoying it often, and IMHO, the whole point of a restored example is not to just keep it under lights, but to be able to use it reliably.

Back on topic: it is increased values and hence the purity trend, that has made the discussion about P7s viable or even possible, and its a good thing for all concerned. I got in touch with Dougal a while ago to encourage this move, and I'm glad to see he is taking it a step further. Having the manufacturer go back and remake original equipment only serves to further underscore the esteem in which the model is held, so Countach owners should feel good about that, IMHO. Put it more simply, if Pirelli does make the P7, it can only enhance the Countach's overall status. I think a new P7 with the new date codes will be universally well-received.

17. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Correct.

They are still selling a set of 5 for about $18k-$20k which is a total ripoff.
    Tires for the million dollar cars like a Miura or half mil Countach are cheap in percentage wise of the car's value.

The price for those 2nd gen Scorpions with no sandlips used to be $700-800 each (which is already one of the most expensive tires ever other than the Michelins for Veyron).

18. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Correct.

They are still selling a set of 5 for about $18k-$20k which is a total ripoff.
    The price for those 2nd gen Scorpions with no sandlips used to be $700-800 eachm (which is already one of the most expensive tires ever besides the Michelins for Veyron).

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #19 joe sackey, Dec 24, 2015
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #20 joe sackey, Dec 24, 2015
  21. footsoldier

footsoldier Karting

Sep 18, 2009
    Count me in the P7 camp...and please take some pre-orders!

22. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    HI Team

So far it isn't unanimous. And when i posted the same subject on Lamborghini Talk i have only had replies from 2 people; one of them is most concerened about needing a different sized front tyre and the other chap doesn't care as long as they are the right size.

What i am inherently scared of is producing a tyre driven by the urgent demand of just a few people which will be damaging, because you will have a choice of 2 different tyres in a size that only sells in very small quantities. the knock on effects is that prices will be dramatically higher for both tyres and you will end up with older stock tyres. And of course who would make a new batch of tyres until the old ones have sold.

Even on this post, one of the largest concerns is about the price of the LM002 tyres. This price is so high because nobody buys them, so they are special build, in small quantities. making 2 different tyres to fit the Countache puts us in danger of the same thing happening with Countache tyres which is why we need to think carefully before we make everything more expensive for everyone.

If Pirelli stopped making the P-Zero and just made the P7 they would have the same problems with people needing the P-Zero for the later cars.

It's not out the question to do it but currently i can only see a few sets selling, and on balance i think it would be damaging for you, because we already have a lot of people that don't understand why these odd tyres cost so much money, and they will be even more p**sed off when the prices increase because they have a choice of 2.

23. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    The later cars used PZero? Not in Lamborghini or Panteras, I believe.
    Also, do not compare the LM002 to the Countach tire production. There are a hell of a lot more Countachs.
    Correct, the Countach requires 3 tire sizes. One for rear, 225 and 205 front.

Plus, be fair. You post the question 2 days before Christmas and can not come to a conclusion overnight. This a thread for discussion for a month or few months. That will give you your answer. I do not think it needs to be done in a hurry as many bought tires on this last run. But if we can plan accordingly for the next few years.........
    Also, L-Talk is not a highly active as here. Plus there is L-Power to check. Most owners frequent all 3 sites.

24. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    I also think that some of the restoration shops that specialize in Lamborghini will also stock up on a set or 3. That something that some of the members can check on.

Dougal, lets slow down and keep the discussion going for a while.
    I'm sure us guys do not like to be teased when it comes to tires, especially P-7's! LOL :)
    I was a sore topic prior to the last run 2 years ago.

25. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    lol... Thks for soothing my fears Joe!
    I agree with what you say. I was saying this tongue in cheek and I am sure you know that. but sometimes we can get carried away on minute details and forget to appreciate the cars for what they are and at times it can be a bit frustrating to people driving them because restoration includes attempt to remove mechanical flows as long as it does not destroy to car's spirit. Driving a car now worth about $600K to break down on I95 near NY is not an experience to behold.. so for the driver, even only a weekender, who wants to have it both ways, feels like liking pumping iron and training for a record setting marathon. You simply cant do both even if you would love too..