Diablos are special | FerrariChat

Diablos are special

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by skierlawyer, Jun 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    How many cars tick all the following boxes: Mid-mounted V12, manual shift, 200 MPH+?

I can only think of Ferrari F50, McLaren F1, Lamborghini Diablo, Lamborghini Murcielago.

Add no traction control, no power steering, no ABS and only the '91-'93 Diablos and F1 remain.

Why isn't an early Diablo worth $500K yet??!!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Zondas? XJR15 (spec'ed to long gears vs standard short).

Diablos can't do 200 with short gears either.

3. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #3 EMILIO, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    500k$ is a bit of a stretch....
    but sure the early diablos are VERY VERY good value for money....too good probably so they will likely go up sooner or later

if you look at prices of 90's supercars the diablos is a lot of car for the money
    it has all:
    - great design and Gandini signature ( i consider the diablo nicer looking than Mc Laren F1, F50, EB 110 and XJ220)
    - great performance (in the middle btw Testarossa, TR and the above cars)
    - no driving aids, simple electronic
    - not so high maintenance and VERY cheap compared to EB, XJ220, etc....

it has some cons though:
    - poor brakes
    - bit heavy car
    - production numbers are very small compared to testarossa, 993 turbo, etc... but hi compared to EB, XJ220, F50, etc...

again, i think 500k is too much for a diablo but 150k too cheap compared to other 80's and 90's supercars value today and also to a 993 turbo or 512 TR
    also low in relations to what you get with the car.
    if you think what an F50, EB or Mc Laren F1 commands today the diablo is so much car for the money
    same goes for the F40
    about 1300 F40 were built and they are over 1M$ for nice cars, they built 3000 diablos in total and around.. may be 700 2wd, so while i think a diablo cannot be half the price of a nice F40 it should not be worth 1/6 either
    i think 300k$ for a NICE diablo would be fair and is realistic in the future

4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Countach has a 200mph speedometer.
    ...so does the Merak :D

5. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    $500K mmmmm no not yet, although some have hit close to that already.

As Emilio stated these are special cars, and you do get a lot for the money, most will fetch $200k all day long. Later models 96-98 a bit more 99-01 even a bit more

In 10 to 15 yrs they might be the car to have, that will drive the price way up, as for now they have been slowly creeping upward, let's hope thirteen continues.

6. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    A Diablo SE30 Jota just sold for $759k and I know of 2-3 SE30 examples that have traded between $520-665k.

7. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Dear Lord :)

8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    You could always push it out the back of a C-17 at 35,000 feet AGL.

9. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great summation Emilio.

10. Bludiablordstr

Bludiablordstr Karting

Sep 15, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #10 Bludiablordstr, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How the red car (and no it's not a Toyota Supra) is $7 figures+ and the blue car is below $500K is beyond me..."branding" is worth that much???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. stevec

stevec Rookie

May 8, 2004
    #11 stevec, Jun 28, 2016
  12. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    also the value of the early diablo is too low compared to the SV (imo)
    drove 3 diablos 98SV-97Roadster-93 2wd ...they are all quite similar

my favourite is the 2wd regular diablo, to drive and to look at. only needs better brakes

13. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sv is perfection.

14. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Please stop posting threads like this. I don't want people to realize they're undervalued until I can get one

15. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    #15 petearron, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Even though the design is dated my 92 gets extreme reactions, stalkers like paparazzi hanging camera phones out windows, my wife's a model but women act as if she's not there trying to talk to me or screaming compliments on the car, got pulled over 3 times in 3 days not doing anything wrong one just followed us into a Walmart parking lot flipped his lights on as we parked in the tire area then asking or actually accusing it of being a replica, another highway patrol I mentioned yes it's loud causing attention said
    quote, "it sounds f n killer" lol.

I asked some guys driving a rental 458 and Huracan if they get stalkers or extreme reactions they looked at me suprised of the question and said no nothing really

Its a special car doubt very few Ferraris cause this kind of reaction You are a instant Celebrity in one lol.

16. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Agree so much, every time my Diablo is out amongst the F cars or the new Lambos....all the Cameras go to the Diablo

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Because the later cars aren't $500k yet :)

I get people reaching out to me now and then wondering if I would be interesting in selling my '99 MOMO Roadster (happened again this week).

Before these conversations get much past the initial number thrown out by the prospective buyer, I start thinking what would I buy with the money? And that is the sticky wicket. There is LITERALLY no mid-engine V12 manual shift convertibles available for less than $600k (Carrera GT with higher miles.....and yes I'd "settle" for the V10...LOL) that isn't a Murcielago (dumb top and sleek but bland looking exterior compared to the Diablo IMO).

The Diablo offers a unique package, and collectors are taking notice.

18. shmluisfc

shmluisfc Karting

May 31, 2012
    Did you buy your MOMO from NJ? Pearl Yellow!?

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, hey John...hows it going?

20. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    ** laughing ** :D

(whisper) You have to read between the lines, the first generation Diablos, hint, hint... ;)

21. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    #22 Total Recall, Jun 29, 2016
    Hi, mine`s not a 2wd but this is my early (I think first rhd) VT when it was new in late 1993.

I like the way that even though dramatic, like the Miura and Countach they still look like a road car - where as more modern supercars - and even the F40 seem more track-car styled and trade-off a bit of the extoic look.

I love the bold wheels and the mad front proportions with how far forwards and raked the cockpit looks. Then there`s the 1 piece seats - and the way the center console sweeps up to the top of the dash - its` got all that Italian flair that they can`t seem to get right nowadays.

Even though the later 6.0 cars are really smart looking and no doubt miles better, they look a bit too modern day and familiar just yet to me - where as I think the early styling just looks more exotic and Italian inside and out.

I used to hate Diablo`s when they were new but I guess like for a lot of people they`ve grown on me loads over the past few years.

For me the Countach is the ultimate car ever - but I honestly prefer the looks of the early Diablo to the Anniversary Countach.

I don`t think Diablo`s look as good in photos though but when you see one for real they`re completely different - the shapes just flow into each other but in an aggressive way.

Well that`s what made me swap my flying mirror Testarossa a few months ago for the Diablo anyway (and it`s a project at that - so it will be a while before it`s back to its` former glory) - but I just had to get one somehow....

I can`t wait for the day I get to drive it!

Dom.

22. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
  23. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    very good points

and while the countach is still my favourite car, diablos are close and somewhat more usable for a tall guy
    i also agree it looks better than the anniversary countach, the design of the diablo is much more "clean"

p.s. congrats on your car! looks fantastic in white-white. one of the best combination for the early diablo and the VT imo: please post a restoration thread

24. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I was not either real fan of Diablo. But I did buy one for reason it was too cheap as a car and what it is. Now I love it and see how good cars they are.

What is your car chassi number? (you can PM it if you do not like posting it here) My car is one last "ibrid" models (like Emilio's car is) and it would be nice to know when first VT cars come.