thinking of buying a Gallardo | FerrariChat

thinking of buying a Gallardo

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by jvecchi, Jun 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    My Porsche dealer has a '07 Gallardo coupe with 8K miles for sale. I'm kicking around the idea of purchasing it. However, my knowledge of Lamborghinis and Gallardos in particular is limited. I previously owned a F355 and a 599 GTB, and currently have a '10 Porsche Turbo and a '15 GT3, so I'm familiar with maintaining exotics. So, please 'school me' on Gallardos. What are the problem areas? Do they suffer from shrinking leather and sticky plastics like Ferraris? What should I be looking for?

Thanks for your help!

2. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Much more reliable and robust than a similar Ferrari. Interior is high quality that holds up extremely well due to Audi influence. Is it an egear or manual?

3. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA
    My first G was an 07 coupe also. Great cars as I've owned several since then.
    My recommendation is if the car is an egear, make sure you get reading so you
    know remaining clutch life. Also drive it, it might feel clunky by comparison now that you've owned Porsche PDK. I'd also recommend driving a lp560, it is a better driver in every aspect.

4. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1
    I couldn't agree more.I've owned 8 ferrari's lots of models and now went with a murcielago.Put on 40k km with only having to replace a few relays starter ,tires and fluid changes. My car now has 136k km looks and drives like new.The interior is such high quality that you would never guess i had that kind of KM on my car.If it were a ferrari the seats and dash would of had to be redone twice.Don't get me wrong i love ferrari's, but Lambo's are a much better built car and way more reliable.

5. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #5 Stentboy, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A couple weeks ago I went to a high-end used car dealership here in Dallas to buy an 08 Gallardo and but for a rude salesman I would've. Instead I went to Lamborghini of Dallas and saw my first LP580-2. Within minutes I lost interest in the Gallardo and purchased the Huracan. It's a lot more money but it's also a lot more car so if you can swing it you might want to consider stepping up to the 580.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Beautiful car! Congrats!

7. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Thanks for the info. The car is an egear. I've toyed with the idea of a Huracan, but it's more money than I'm comfortable spending right now. I may take the recommendation above and look at a later model Gallardo. What is the last year of production of the Gallardo? 2014?

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The Audi post is a good suggestion. It took Audi a year to make improvements to the breed.

The clutches can go in as little as 200 miles if the car is driven like a corvette. These cars are gentlemans rocket ship but not to be driven hard.

These cars can oxidize along the door wells. Also the door can corrode.

These cars are awesome to own and drive. I would recommend a PPI before I bought the car. These cars can be expensive as can the Ferrari's

Good luck and enjoy

Lee

9. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Highly disagree on the clutch. Only the initial launch versions had weak clutches which were later revised and updated. The biggest testament to the strength of the clutch is that tuners retain the stock clutch on Twin turbo cars making 1000hp.

10. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris

If you can, I would certainly look at later model Lp560 and Lp550's. One plus with the earlier model is that with straight pipes they sound absolutely insane.

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    My friend lost his clutch in 200 miles. The service guys at the dealership always steered me away from the early cars. This may have been before they updated the clutches.

i had 2004 and 2010 Gallardos with no problems and my Adventador has been perfect.

I am also on my third Ferrari with no problems with them.

I can say my recent Lamborghini, The Adventador and 458 Ferrari are much easier to live with concerning service.

Best

Lee

12. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have owned a couple of Ferraris, a Maserati and have a 2010 Balboni.

To me, the Lamborghini feels screwed together better than the others. Doesn't flex etc. Mine is an egear and the differences between regular, sport and corsa modes are significant. The corsa mode in particular is brutal on the neck muscles!

The "LP" (5.2L) cars are, I think, recognized as being more reliable with more robust clutches and so on than the earlier cars.

I have no experience of the 4WD system. On the track the 2WD car handles well and is very controllable on the throttle, responds well to direct steering input and is generally capable and a pleasure I am told the 4WD system on the Huracan is a significant improvement on the Gallardo, but I have no experience to validate or contradict.

One observation. I am sure the color, stripe etc of the Balboni model amplifies, but it attracts attention like no other car I have owned. It makes a fantastic sound. Epic.

They are expensive to service, although much of the routine stuff can be done by an owner of average DIY ability. I think being engineered by Audi they tend not to be very needy (until something fails) and dealer service pricing must include watching the oil drain given what they seek to charge (btw, the engine has 7 oil drain points).

Hope this helps,
    Philip

13. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Thanks to all who have replied to this thread. It's great to have such a wealth of information and experience to draw from.

I spoke with me dealer today I was going to take a pass on the '07 Gallardo. After giving it more thought, if I'm going to purchase a Gallardo, I would prefer a newer Superleggera. Since it's already mid-July, my plan is to look for something over the winter for a spring delivery.

I recently came across a photo of a Super Trofeo Stradale. Wow. How many of these were produced, do they ever come on the market, and what are they worth?

14. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    If I did a Gallardo, it would be an STS. If you're into performance over creature comforts, it's the model to have.