Upgrade from 458 to Aventador? | FerrariChat

Upgrade from 458 to Aventador?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by GiveMeSomethingICanUse, Sep 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    Not sure whether I should post this here or in the Ferrari section but I'll try here first.
    I have a 458 that I think is an absolutely incredible machine. I love the looks especially from behind. I really enjoy driving it but the aventador is still the most amazing looking car on the road (not including hyper cars in this assessment - the laferrari alerta takes that one but alas it's out of my price range). The cars I'm looking at are the aventador coupe and roadsters. I prefer the roadster. Here are my concerns:
    1) it's twice the price of my 458, am I getting twice the car?
    2) the roadster is a relatively new car. I don't like losing too much money on my cars. I'm a businessman and I look for good deals in everything from cereal to homes :) so far that has meant buying and selling my exotics at pretty much break even. I got a 360 spider that I enjoyed a few years, then sold. Had a gallardo for 4 years, sold it for $5K less than I bought it for. Got my 458 at a great price and my loss will be minimal. I don't have the kind of money you'd need to not give a crap about losing $100K in a year or two. Everybody's different, so what are people thinking a 2014 roadster with less than 10K miles will be in 6-12 months? They are currently around $350-400K. According to my calculations, looking at depreciation history of exotics they tend to drop 35-40% in 6 years from release, and then flatten out or drop less than 2%/yr. It also doesn't seem like heavily optioned cars are rewarded in the aftermarket because of subjective taste or other factors unknown to me.
    This calculation puts the aventador roadster fully depreciated in about 2019 at around $260-280K. I am ok taking a $30-50K hit but anything beyond that and it just doesn't make sense to me. Conversely I don't want to be an old man driving it. Trying to find that perfect timing to buy it. Any pointers?
    3) people who have driven both the 458 and the aventador, what do you think makes it absolutely worth the upgrade? It isn't really much faster than the 458 and has a single clutch. Visibility is worse, tires are custom, it's less practical, less nimble and more maintenance (from what I hear). But wow it looks so good.
    4) I don't like the huracan (it doesn't excite me at all) so please let's not get into that :)

Thanks for your input!

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Aventador is an arrivers car, 458 a drivers car (told to me by someone that owned an aventador and sold it not long after).

3. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    Haha I like that and can definitely attest to the level of attention you get in even the gallardo vs 458.

4. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    An Aventador is much faster than a 458.

5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I havent owned an Aventador, but did borrow one for two weeks.

I found it beautiful to look at and sounds incredible. But otherwise, I didnt find it fun to drive. Too hard to see out of. Didnt feel toss-able.

6. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Define 'much'

7. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    So far I've only been a passenger in one but will drive one soon. I was in a 2014 roadster. It felt faster than the 458 (it does have nearly 700hp, but then again so does the hellcat :) ) but I've found that sometimes being a passenger the car feels faster than when you're in control. Might have something to do with anticipation. The sound was brutal and amazing and it looks simply stunning. It's visceral. All about attention and drama. As I went and got lunch in my 458 today I realized that I probably could never have done that in the aventador. I've never had anyone stop and take pictures of my 458. I did all the time with the gallardo. To me it's a double edged sword. Being in the passenger seat of the aventador I realized it felt more rigid than the Ferrari, as if the suspension was stiffer. It also seemed more glued to the road, which is probably attributable to the AWD. The Ferrari just feels lighter and more nimble. Like Anunakki said, more toss able.

8. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    I think if the aventador and 458s had comparable performance, and comparable price, I'd get the roadster. What I like about the lambo is mostly the design and I already feel like the 458 is way faster than what's really necessary to have fun. For mountain roads the 360 is actually perfect in that it didn't accelerate so fast as to get you in trouble before the next apex. You could also throw out the tail quite easily without too much drama. I don't think I'd ever have as much fun in an aventador in the mountains, but it's unsurpassed as an attention grabbing cruiser. Ah, the dilemmas!

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    1. It's not twice the car.
    2. You will lose a ton on it.
    3. You will get used to any additional performance it has, so it won't actually feel any faster after a little bit.

I wouldn't upgrade if you're price sensitive or hoping it's that much better of a car. It's definitely way more exotic, I guess.

I'd wait for Aventador 2.0. It should be out soon. It will drop the prices on this model quite a bit IMO.

If money were no object, I wouldn't even think about a 458 knowing the Aventador exists. Way cooler car.

10. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    Sounds like your heart's on the Aventador and your head's crunched the numbers. I guess if you pass on the LP700 you can still admire other peoples cars and imagine what could have been. Wouldn't be the end of the world...but...

11. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    As with everything materialistic in life the novelty eventually wears off and you're left with something that starts to look like a bit of a mistake. I've had that happen with everything I've owned my entire life, with very few exceptions. Yes, the aventador looks great, and would be wonderful to own for a while, but it seems to be at a price point that only makes sense if you're sitting on so much money that you wouldn't care if the car lost all its value (or half, which it will). It's really a car for young people, bought mostly by older people. I can't quite decide whether it's a car for people who want to be seen, or people with a passion for marvels of engineering and design. I also think it's more of a status symbol for rich people to go with the trophy wife, the cartiers, designer handbags and vacation home in the hamptons. In that sense it is not for me. I just like it for its design and visceral driving experience, which means the price of admission may be a waste since the greatest selling point seems to be the status of it as a symbol of wealth. Maybe I'm wrong.

12. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    You are.

Stop thinking about what other people think about you.

Love what you love.

13. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    PS key to happiness is being happy with what you have.

14. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Your over analyzing! Drive it. If it pushes all your buttons then buy it. After all that is what its all about. How it makes you feel.

15. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Thry are cars made for a different purpose. The 458 is a sports car and the Adventador is a powerful cruiser.

I love both of them and they do tier missions wonderfully.

best

Lee

16. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    I was gonna say this

Or

Sel 458, buy 360, use extra cash on aventador

17. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    If you want to have the least amount of depreciation, buy a 2013 (has some upgrades over 2012), get a color that is not common and aim for as many options as possible.

Aventador is still going down, but so is the 458.

18. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ok.. buslengths

19. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks for your input so far. Lee, since you own both, which one would you say you reach for the keys for more often? And which one puts the biggest smile on your face? Do you find the extra money over the 458 worth it? How have you found the maintenance on the Ferrari vs lambo?

20. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Not true. Popular myth.
    Having owned/ own both I assure you that the Aventador is every bit of a canyon carver, sport car that a 458 is.

21. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Pricing of a 13/ 14 458 Spider vs a 14 Aventador is $125-150k. Absolutely worth it.

22. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
    SV did 6:59 on the ring with only 2 runs !

23. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #23 leead1, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Great question hard to answer

I like the Adventador because it is powerful with a great body style. The only problem is you cannot drive the Lambo without being surrounded by enthusiasts. It is fun for awhile than it gets old.

Which cars do I reach for first. To be honest and lucky enough to own so many cars, I use an excel spread sheet. I use this to be sure all cars are exercised in order.

If your question is between the 458 Ferrari and the Adventador. I leave 4 cars at my home.
    The C7 Corvette which is my go anywhere car. One garage I go from Mosler to Adventador and then go back again.

The last garage space I go from all the other cars, one than the other.

The 458 while not very fast is a refined sports car, quick enough but mainly a fun sports car. The Adventador is a very fast , powerful cruiser but does not give a lot of confidence in high speed tight corners but still a well refined car. It has a long wheel base like my Hell Cat, and that is a disadvantage on tight turns.

I love the 2016 Hell Cat I just bought. It has 707 hp and is a blast to drive.. It is kind of a ugly box compared to the Adventador. There are not many cars that look as sexy as the Adventador.

The new lamborginnis build since Audi bought them are very reliable. It took Audi over a year to improve the car. My Adventador is 700hp the newer cars are now 720hp. I had two lambos before I bought my fourth the Adventador. Those cars had to be treated gently to get service out of them. Prople who drove them like Corvettes could lose a clutch in 200 miles like my friend Dan did.

I also had three Ferrari's , a 360, 430 and now the 458. The 458 has been perfect.

Oil changes and general service can be expensive. So I would investigate and plan on that.

Happy car hunting :)

Lee

24. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Very technical

25. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    Wow, thanks so much for taking your time to write, Lee! I appreciate you sharing your experience. The 458 has indeed been perfect for me too save for a few minor issues mostly relating to voltage/battery. To me it's interesting that you have a Hellcat because that was going to be my argument against the aventador. "But the Lamborghini has 700 horses! So does the hellcat.". I think at the end of the day you're paying for a driveable jewel, a design that is extremely unique, a sound that is exotic and sophisticated and a badge that carries a certain status. What you get is all the above, along with the crowd to appreciate it wherever you go. I like your setup with the spreadsheet. I have 4 cars myself, and I try to rotate driving them but it's hard to keep track of. I might start doing the same. Thanks a lot for your comments.