Lamborghini LM002 engine options | FerrariChat

Lamborghini LM002 engine options

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by mrcarlosspicey, Oct 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    I was bored and was googling around the Internet and came across an article on the LM002. Now, I had known prior that the same 5167 CC used in the 5000 QV was also used in the LM002. However, I did not ever read thoroughly enough to discover the other engine option, the 7.2 L LM804 offshore power boat motor.

I am curious about this motors power, production number, availability, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    A few have been for sale on Ebay over the years. Not sure they are well documented anywhere. Parts are probably rare if not unavailable. Contact the factory, good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #3 Rifledriver, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    LM002 all had the 5 liter motor. The single LM004 had a 7.3 liter motor. You have been reading the work of ill informed motor journalists. I have a registry for them with all 300 VIN's. Of all the information I have on them not a single note of a single unit with other than the carbed Countach motor or the injected Diablo motor.

A great deal of the information written is incorrect wives tales like the Kevlar tires. They are in reality Aramid which is just a generic name for nylon. Nylon is a trademarked DuPont name so cannot be used.

We have had one for about 15 years and I have worked on them since their intro into the USA and it is rare when I read something accurate about them. Even the episode on Jay Lenos garage about them was full of rubbish.

BlueBiturbo likes this.
  4. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    So is it even fair to say the truck came with it as an option? From what I read, the LM004 is just a prototype.

5. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    +1 I don't know of any LM's besides the 004 with anything but a 5.2. The later injected motors are related to the Diablo but are still 5.2 liters. The QV powered cars have slightly more pep than the later motors imo.

6. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    7.4 is just a one-off.

I am pretty sure You can stroke the 5.2 engine up to 5.7ish.

7. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    LM804 was a production engine designed for power boat racing,
    strictly a one off for the LM004, like the VM diesel fitted to the LM003.
    however the many LM804s were produced for power boat racing

8. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    According to some spanish sources, there were 2 x LM004s. I don't know if it's true, but few pictures under the hood show different frame on LM004, so it could be either the same frame, but modified, or there were 2 cars made.

The timeline is like this:
    - Initial prototype Cheetah
    - prototype with chrysler engine in the back (LM001)
    - LMA-002 (Anteriore - front engine) with Lamborghini V12 in the front
    - LM003 - diesel version with VM Motori diesel (proved to be underpowered)
    - LM004 - marine engine version (proved to be not that fast, the engine had only 420 hp)
    - LM005 - military version designed to be strong enough to hold a turret in the roof (never manufactured, only blueprints)

after all the tests they proved the LMA-002 concept to be most efficient, so the production model was named after the most successful prototype LMA-002, i.e. LM002.

9. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for the clarification on the topic!

PS. Rifledriver / Brian, trying to send you a PM, but is rejected because your inbox is full.....

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  11. GiZLabs

GiZLabs Rookie

Dec 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Gena Za
    Hi, I am trying to find out who was the LM002 body manufacturer in Spain, every article just says some company, but doesn’t say who. Anyone know who build the LM frame for Lamborghini?

12. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    #12 Lemacc, Aug 21, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2022
    EarlyCat and Astonish78 like this.
  13. fiber308

fiber308 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Arizona
    #13 fiber308, Aug 24, 2022
    Hi
    We have done a lot with the LM002 including putting a Cummins Diesel in our shop truck. We just got back from Monterey where Michael camped at Laguna Seca in the camper on top of the LM. We are in the process of putting a 9.0 liter marine Lamborghini engine in another LM002. If you are ever in Arizona come and see us.
    Jim and Michael Carpenter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

EarlyCat likes this.
  14. rhyno

rhyno Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Epic pics from two of the nicest people in the Lambo community! The Carpenter’s have an amazing shop in Arizona with some really cool resto mod Ferrari’s

15. The Cummins is a sweet engine, pulls like a freight train & easily made faster. The marine engine is a much bigger size wise, taller than the LM002 engine, I thought anyways. Any pics of both swaps?

16. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    i love your marine engine conversion, perfect

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Would it be possible to get VINs of both LM's?

18. fiber308

fiber308 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Arizona
    #18 fiber308, Sep 7, 2022
    Ours is KLA12158 but my customer's LM isn't mine to share. The cummins swap also has a performance automatic transmission so it is a brease to drive and it is set up to make over 600 Hp and over 1200 ft lbs of torque. We will be going to the tuner to turn it up hear very soon so we are excited to drive it after that!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

islerodreaming and EarlyCat like this.
  19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very cool. I did see it and meet you in Monterey a couple of years ago. Glad to see the project still moving.

20. fiber308

fiber308 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Arizona
    Thanks It has been a long project, with lots of bugs since we aren't exactly diesel mechanics or truck builders and company owned projects always getting put to the back burner. In Monterey this year was the first time the LM made stock power and was pleasant to drive and a breeze with the added automatic now. A few last transmission bugs and we are ready to make real power.