Countach front wing ? | FerrariChat

Countach front wing ?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Spyder-Man, Jan 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
  2. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    not the original Lamborghini North America front wing
    different wing and mounts

probably a add on for later cars...5000s - QV -etc...

3. The original one that I'm thinking of mounted into the chassis, passing through slots cut in the hood, boot, trunk (lol). It was removable when you needed access.

4. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Must be true, as the original "cannonball run" spoiler was actually a bumper. :)

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Something looks off on this one. If you actually mounted one of these to the hood of a Countach and it made ANY downforce whatsoever it would immediately bend the hell out of the hood. As mentioned the front wing was a way around bumper laws and it was fitted to rigidly mounted struts that went through holes in the hood. In fact the wing was held on with quick release pins because it needed to be removed in order to open the hood. I would very much doubt that the part listed in the auction came from Lamborghini.

I will add that given the history this seller has on eBay for exorbitant asking prices, his $1K opening bid is way too low for an OEM piece that is this rare and important.

6. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    That looks like a table decoration; as I am looking at the 'original' one right now.

Here's a question for the historians - when we say 'original', was the front wing a Lamborghini design or was it done aftermarket (and by who?) for the US DOT conversion?

Also why would we consider this to be a rare and important piece?

7. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi, can you post a picture of the original one as a reference please?

thanks
    Rob

8. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #8 EMILIO, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    the original one is a "lamborghin north america" piece.

to me is a rare and important piece of lamborghini history, on the history of early countach in US and also for the cannonball run reference... but some would say is just an ugly US add on

there are different opinions on the matter

picture credit: Claudio Baseggio
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    Emilio - do you run your car with and without the wing? I think you mentioned somewhere else you have covers for the cut-outs?

I'd be curious how you optionally mount the supports and take them on/off (inside the front trunk I mean).

10. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles

11. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    i had it off for 3-4 years and i had 2 covers made for the cut outs
    i put it back in 2015 since i found is nice to have one of only 3 or 4 possibly remaining in the original configuration

Wade likes this.
  12. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia

13. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen

14. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    #14 Peter K., Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Guy's, then let's call it what it is......a bumper. That is what it was designed for and that's what it was used for. It simply just resembled a wing :) :) :)

We'll call it the wing bumper lol

It's interesting, when looking at it for a while, it really comes off as a bumper. stare at it and block out the tapperness of the back, concentrate on just the front. Simply genius....and it set the world in a spin. Thinking that the car was so fast now, that they needed 2 wings to keep it grounded. Very coolness.

15. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob

16. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    I will try. I do have good prints from before i did my euro conversion if no luck posting send me apm i will e mail to you. Thanks

17. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen

18. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia

19. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #19 Spyder-Man, Feb 1, 2017
  20. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    yes, different wing and mounts
    this one on the red car is similar to the one for sale on ebay

21. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    I will check mine( its stored above my garage) could poss identifie origin based my other nos fiberglass parts.

22. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    #22 randomlambo, Feb 18, 2017
  23. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Mine is nothing like this,it was bolted thrue the lid, suspect it was a cheap ide' to look like the cannonball cars, rest assure,mine is hidden well, not ever beeing used in my lifetime.

24. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Gentlemen, can we learn about front wings? Bringing back an old thread in case there are others interested. We all know the bumper height/DOT story. Discussions in the past all agreed that only one style on one model looks good. The S2 ie cannonball run style. I thought these were all fitted by Ras in California, then an owner chimed in that his car was never in California but the same company had installed his wing... did Ras outsource this work? Were they not all done in California? Of most interest, how many had it? Anyone put together any vin numbers?

25. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I think the front wing went through cycles much like the cars themselves - ultimate cool in the 80s, to wow that’s too much, are you kidding me, to Everything should Only be original/factory and now settling in the, it was so different and unique it’s hyper cool again. Of course factory original designs will always edge out, but I think this feature being so unique, being on the Cannonball car, and being a full on commitment to install (front hood cutting) is one that should be revered. If it was for Cannonball Run, how long would it have been for many of us to discover these cars, plus it just looks COOL!