Picked up my Gallardo few questions for any experts.. | FerrariChat

Picked up my Gallardo few questions for any experts..

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by F360_Spider, Feb 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F360_Spider

F360_Spider Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    UK
    I picked up my Gallardo Spyder on Friday and I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!

Its a 2006 E Gear.

I have noticed when I drive the car after like 40mph and I let go of the Accelerator pedal I can hear some kind of whirring noise coming from the front, I cant quite work out what it is or where its coming from, sounds a bit like very light grinding if anything? like a whirring ticking kind of noise but very faint. If i lightly put my foot on the pedal the noise goes but if I let go it makes the noise again?

Also when I turn left or right on full lock it makes a clunking grinding noise, is this normal?

The steering does feel a little heavy but not sure if that's just how they are.

and the brakes dont seem to be all that responsive I had to like really give it some to slow down so Im guessing they will need to be replaced too.

2. piar-fotografie

Oct 20, 2014
    Light grinding noise is probably your front differential. Probably nothing to worry about, some put a bit thicker oil in it.
    The clunking noise with full lock is completely normal and a "factory standard option" :) They all do so. Heavy steering in a way is normal too. Especially compared with most Ferrari's. Ofcourse dependable on how far gone your tires are. I have driven carbon ceramic brakes, so can't compare there. They are responsive.
    I don't own one (yet) my experience is in reading, talking to carsellers and testdriving. Thinking about trading in my F355 for a 560 Gallardo.

3. F360_Spider

F360_Spider Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    UK

Thanks for the reply, yes Ive now learnt that this is completly normal and the braking ive been told to bleed and change the fluids which I will be getting done soon

4. F360_Spider

F360_Spider Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    UK
    the front diff mount was broken!

its being replaced.

5. rgregory

rgregory Karting

Dec 17, 2006
    I removed my awd years ago, 2wd is so much better driving feel.

6. F360_Spider

F360_Spider Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    UK
    Car is back and all fixed, all issues are now gone!! The front diff mount replaced, brakes were bled and it really is a different car, the valves are now constantly open too so its spitting flames and popping like crazy.

7. piar-fotografie

Oct 20, 2014
  8. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Some additional tips:

- For an e-gear car, contact RSC Tuning regarding a TCU software update. A good improvement can be had in the shifting and day-to-day drivability of the stock tranny. As it's a Pre-LP, unfortunately you might have to look at sending the TCU unit in or borrowing a programming device from them, dunno. I Have an LP so for us we get our own little OBD2 plug-in to install/remove the program at leisure. At least with the LP program, the software also unlocks some power (enough to notice it) that the factory had dialed back for conservatism (and yes, purely on the TCU side; does not touch ECU programming).

- As a Spyder owner, get a SmartTop. It's cheap (~$325), easy enough to install, and provides several great features for the top, the best of which is opening and closing the top via your factory remote control buttons, and 1-press open & close operation inside the cabin instead of having to sit there holding the button down waiting for the top to finish. There's other misc stuff like configuring if your windows open or close after opening/closing the top, increasing the MPH lockout for top operation, etc etc.

- If someday down the road you want the lighter & improved steering feel, improved handling feel and "added fun" of RWD, just an FYI that the cost is very minimal to try it, and easily reversible. It's about $1k parts & labor to convert to RWD and it also drops around 150 lbs off the car.

- There are a couple good options for upgrading the size of your shift-paddles, the stock paddles are too tiny. On lamborghini(dash)talk dot com there is a vendor who has made large metal paddles that are a complete replacement for the stock units. It's more expensive and a more involved install but they are the largest upgrade. If you want an in-between solution (not quite as large, and a super-easy install you can do yourself in 2 minutes) there are the Fabspeed paddles. If you decide you want the latter, feel free to drop me a PM, I have a spare set I could sell you at a discount.

- If you haven't already put an aftermarket exhaust on the car, I'm assuming you know this is absolutely mandatory :) and unlocks one of the best-sounding exotic engines ever made.

Congrats & good luck!!

9. F360_Spider

F360_Spider Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    UK
    Hi,

Thanks for all of that, its really helpful I will be taking your advice.