A new manual Lamborghini | FerrariChat

A new manual Lamborghini

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Bradwilliams, May 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Given Ferrari's overt and obnoxious message to the public that "We are not making any more manuals," You would think a company like Lamborghini, whose roots were sewn and grown by pissing off Ferrari, would stick it to them and make a car with a manual in it to give the public what they want.

Thoughts guys? If I owned that company, you bet your butt I'd be all over this. More revenue, more profit, and you get to stick it to Ferrari at the same time. LOL

2. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    The Lamborghini company that stuck it to Mr. Ferrari in the early '60s is different to the Lamborghini company today.

Today its all about bean counters, share holders and bottom line financials, the days of creative competitiveness are days of yore.

3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    It's all about performance numbers and technology. A manual, while the preferred method for me, is too slow to garner the track lap times for marketing purposes. If Lamborghini put up a manual against a paddle shift Ferrari, the Ferrari would have better lap times and a new marketing angle.

" Who just set a new record and left Lamborghini in the dust? ....we (Ferrari ) did.

Ain't gonna happen....but I will happily eat my words. I hate the egear.

Shamile

Freeze. ..Miami Vice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

4. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I own a manual Lambo and wouldn't want an Aventador or Huracan in manual, their gearboxes are too good for high performance and normal use to throw a third pedal in.

5. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    100% agree. You can't tell me that an Aventador with its new engineering and tech would be any harder to drive with a modern manual than a CT, Early Diablo, or GT.

It's simply a different company now. Lamborghini has been making its cars more available to the masses for a long time in more ways besides transmission choice.

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's very, very ancient history. Modern Lamborghini is not all that much about tradition unless it benefits them selling new cars. It's all Audi now. So what's Audi doing?

There you have it.

Besides, I'm sure it's more expensive and adds complexity to provide support for a manual in all of the drivetrain systems. A few more years and those who still covet manuals will no longer be buying. Done.

Sorry ...

7. Ciro Izzo

Ciro Izzo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2005
    A manual Murci with an aftermarket exhaust is a great way to experience a more modern car on the CHEAP! Ice cold air, great reliability, wailing sound of a modern 12...perfect!

8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And much prettier IMO!

9. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    AMEN.

10. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I'm ok with the paddles. It rocks in these cars.

11. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Fixed.

12. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
  13. I'm just glad that Lamborghini is still in business. The world has changed. The performance of the stick version would be compared to everything else in the market, and just not be crisp enough. The so called gurus would say it was antiquated, slow, etc...a white elephant.

14. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    This!

Shamile

Freeze. . . Miami Vice!

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    A manual aventador would be awesome. It's the best looking lambo since the countach imho. Even just to hear a person rowing through the gears manualy would give the car "that feeling".

16. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Interesting topic, and while I personally am more than happy to stick with The ever evolving F1 systems, you do make a good point

Question back to you, what premium are you willing to pay in order to have this option? It certainly will not be a cheaper alternative ... IMO

17. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I don't think it should be that much of a premium. But hey say you charge your customer 10-30k for the stick. People will pay

18. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Umm...yeah no. The Murcielago series was originally a manual shift car with an electronic shift overlay.

I was talking to a Lamborghini tech about stick on an Aventador. He said because the car was never designed for stick and a clean sheet of paper transmission, the shifter would never be able to line up with the gears in a proper mechanical manner.

Manual is just a thing of the past now. Technology has just rendered it antiquated.

The Murcielago series can still be put back to stick as the car was designed that way in the first place. All you need are the oem factory parts and it can be done. I just don't know anyone that's done it yet.

Shamile

Freeze. . . Miami Vice!

19. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    Its been done..
    UK guy in his basement of his apartment block..

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=240&t=1443161&i=40

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Porsche.........2018 GT3

21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I think that's more of an excuse than a reason.

Sure paddle shift is faster on the track but not by a huge amount. There's way more holding these cars back from faster lap times than the difference between manual and DCT.

I (NEED!) a few tenths around the track from the gearbox but lets slow it down with power everything, navigation, air con, leather, cruise, stereo system, etc/etc.

The reality is, these aren't race cars and splitting hairs on lap times really does not matter. I'm pretty sure an 80's F1 car would still destroy an Aventador around a track, even with the driver clumsily shifting his manual gearbox.

Just my opinion!

:)

22. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I'm all for manual cars bit put this up against a paddle shift.

I'm purely speaking of automobile marketing. When the hurican set the New Nurburgring track record....we kinda heard about it over and over.

Manufacturers build what boosts the lap times and what people order.

Shamile

Freeze. . . Miami Vice!

23. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I think you're missing my point. I'm speaking from what the manufacturers market...not what I personally prefer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....I hate the egear. Sure it's fast and you could never shift that fast....bit it sure is boring. I prefer shifting through the gears, trying to match every gear...seamless and smooth. That's the fun...who cares if on a controlled lap it's 3 seconds slower.

....it won't get me through the Starbucks drive thru any faster ;) lol

Shamile

Freeze. . . Miami Vice!

24. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    No I'm with you and understood your point completely.

When I said it's more of an excuse than a reason, I meant by the manufacturer, not your preference.

25. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I dont think the lack of manual is about performance. If they wanted they could only use the DCT stats with the media but still make a manual available

They dont do it because to engineer the car to accept both, knowing you are only going to sell a small fraction of them with the manual...is cost prohibitive.

Its a bad return on investment.

I own a manufacturer and we get customers all the time saying 'if you made it like this Id buy' but they are so few and far between its not worth it for us.

Its bad business to spend time chasing 5%