Miura #3150 P400 | FerrariChat

Miura #3150 P400

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by omgjon, May 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #1 omgjon, May 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This beautiful Miura came to me June 15 2016. I remember the day well!!! I was waiting for the transport and I got a call that he was running 2 hours late. Perfect I thought, I can get my bicycle ride in. I was about 2 miles from finishing my ride at my shop when I got taken out with a hit and run driver. While laying on the side of the road I could hear my cell phone ringing from the middle of the road. Some people had stopped to help me and one retrieved my phone and answered it. It was the transport driver waiting at my shop to deliver the Miura!!!. A few calls to friends from the hospital and the Miura got tucked in my shop safe and well, more than I could say about me!!. So I will always remember the day it arrived.
    A week later I was back at work working one handed along with my helper as we took it apart. The thing I remember most was pulling the door panels off and seeing remnants of the original color. Can't get any better than a Verde Miura original color. There was quite a bit of rust and lots of metal work was required to get it back into shape. After media blast and metal work it was sent to Brad Diez at Speedzone paint who did a great job on it. Once again it's tucked safely back in my shop to start with reassembly of all the parts we worked on while getting painted. This car had it original basketweave on the seats with is no longer available anywhere. Luckily we were able to save the material when we re-did the seats. Here is a few pictures of progress.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Fabulous progress in 1 year! Bravo Jon.

3. Very nice & great work. Peter Egan (ROAD & TRACK magazine writer) once said riding a bike, not a motorcycle, was one of the most dangerous things one could do. I think he might be right.

4. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Jon, I've posted a few photos in the Miura thread along the way, but it's nice to have its own thread as well. This is definitely a special car for me and a life long dream. I'm certain that it is in the right hands and thank I Joe for connecting us. Since you've started a thread on the car, I will post some photos of the car prior to the work starting as well as the provenance of the car. The work done to date has been nothing short of stellar and I look forward to seeing the reassembly process. Chris Dugan, who restored Joe's well known ex-Mimran downdraft is responsible for the engine work.

5. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Oh man! Please don't stop posting pics! :)

6. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    #7 Lemacc, May 18, 2017
  7. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the heads up! We definitely want everything to be to original spec.

8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Here is the history on the car:

HISTORY

1967 - Telaio 3150, motore 1370, 74th Miura built, delivered Oct 5, 1967 to Roberto Carpanelli (Lamborghini's Rome concessionaire). Verde/Nero.

1974 - Imported to the US via an airline pilot based in North Carolina.

1978 - Sold to Lamborghini collector Jack Robinson in Arizona to join his Miura SV. He repainted the car Giallo Miura. The car was then featured in Automobile Quarterly vol 23, No. 1 (1985), and pictured on AQ poster "Lamborghini - The Quest for Perfection".

1985 - Engine rebuilt by famed racing engineer Alf Francis (Stirling Moss's F1 mechanic)

1986 - Bought by Dave Gamret, Ford Motor Co's Design Engineer, who also owned a Countach LP400.

1989 - Gamret had the car repainted yellow with correct PPG Giallo Miura paint he got directly Bertone SpA.

1990 - Owned briefly by renowned Ferrari collector and 250 GTO owner Chris Cox.

1991 - Bought by Nick England from Chris Cox with mileage just @ 5,800 km.

2014 - Bought by me from Nick England with mileage @ 10,500 km, documented over the 23 year ownership.

2016 - Nut and Bolt restoration commenced.

9. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #10 cnpapa24, May 18, 2017
  10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #11 cnpapa24, May 18, 2017
  11. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  13. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  14. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #15 cnpapa24, May 18, 2017
  15. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #16 cnpapa24, May 18, 2017
  16. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #17 cnpapa24, May 18, 2017
  17. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #18 cnpapa24, May 18, 2017
  18. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  19. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for sharing your story, very cool... and you must be very proud! Nice to see the car going back to the original color.

Feel free to give me a call, happy to help with some of the small details that you can easily remedy to be as original.

Again, congrats and look forward to seeing the car on the road!

20. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, Andrew. Feel free to post what you see that is incorrect here so that everyone can benefit.

21. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #22 Andrew R., May 19, 2017
    Per request of Chris, I am posting some of my comments on photos of this car here so that others can benefit from the information.

Regarding the driveshafts, which have the same color as the rear springs (and shocks if they have not been rebuild and repainted by Koni - which many people leave to the Koni orange instead of painting like Lamborghini did during production of the cars)... here are some pics.

The Lamborghini factory painted the driveshafts after assembly. I powder coated mine before assembly, and then touched up with liquid paint areas taped off for assembly where appropriate. The color match was done from sampling an NOS piece from Lamborghini... which was compared and verified by carefully cleaning an area of the existing parts on my car.

So in this photo of the finished work, I had not yet touched up the spots where the snap-rings are. (The before photo is what the shaft looked like when pulling off of the car.)

Some people have called this over-kill because they just used a spray can, but if you want the job done right... it takes time!

Regarding the u-joints. You can buy spicer u-joints, and then have the cups ground down just a few thousandths (a center-less grinding shop can do this easily)

22. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #23 Andrew R., May 19, 2017
    Here are some before and after photos from another Miura... not everything was done in the area, just items that needed attention for maintenance purposes, but since I was touching them - they were done properly.

-New wheel bearings
    -Axles, originally clean steel.. but did a black oxide treatment
    -Brake rotors, originally clean steel... but did black oxide treatment (brakes not yet bedded in to wear off the black oxide on the contact area)
    -complete rebuild of brakes with new pads & rubber lines
    -complete rebuild of shocks (internals done by Koni authorized shop)
    -greasing of upper & lower ball joints (yes you can do the upper with a grease needle attached to the grease gun)
    -cleaning and re-plating of the original nuts that were removed for this service work

23. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Andrew, thanks for your comments. Can I ask what model and serial number Miura you are referencing to make certain we are comparing apples to apples? Also, in your last post can you clarify what you are seeing specifically in the work that was done to the suspension and brake assembly that is not to original spec as it was not clear to me from you post. Thank you.

24. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #25 joe sackey, May 19, 2017
    Bravo Jon, I know this is a labor of love for you and we'll help ensure all the finishes are correct-for-period.

To that end, Leo is correct http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/145379922-post7.html the drive shafts should be refinished to make the period-correct.

Many people suggest that the only correct color is is the Azzuro Clielo (light blue) that is commonly asserted, but that's not always correct because Lamborghini NEVER had just one single finishing application for all components during the production run of any given Miura variant. If they ran out of light blue paint and Luigi brought back darker blue paint, guess what they did? They used darker blue paint! Here is another sampling of an original unit for comparison, and I'm happy to come down in person and deliberate over this.