Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Other Cars > LamborghiniChat.com - Sponsored by Lamborghini Houston

Reply
 
Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norway
Full Name: Daniel
Posts: 257
Countach vs Testarossa

I started the topic anyway I didnt find any tread with a similar topic anywhere..

I have a 1986 TR.. But my ultimate dreamcar is a LP400.. I know that I may never get my LP400.. So I may be buing a later car.. A countach is within budget if I sell my TR..

Performance wise isnt all that interesting.. But serious opinions from people who knows both cars is aprecciated..

They both are 80's icons for sure.. I've never even driven a countach.. The testarossa is a blast to drive.. Anyhow, I love vintage cars best.. And I love carbed cars and the old feeling best, like in my Urraco, Alfetta GTV or my Fiat Dino..

Will the countach be more old fashion?
Nothing beats the looks of the countach and I really have to have one some day..

Then there is maintainance costs.. The TR have to do the belts every 5 years or so.. The countach dont.. But i have the impression that the countach is less reliable in other areas?

Any input on that?

Every opinion is aprecciated

wich one would you choose if you couldn't have both

Bedt regards from
Daniel dreaming of owning a countach

Last edited by Skogens Baron; 03-08-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 03-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado
Full Name: Victor Holtorf
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skogens Baron View Post
I started the topic anyway I didnt find any tread with a similar topic anywhere..

I have a 1986 TR.. But my ultimate dreamcar is a LP400.. I know that I may never get my LP400.. So I may be buing a later car.. A countach is within budget if I sell my TR..

Performance wise isnt all that interesting.. But serious opinions from people who knows both cars is aprecciated..

They both are 80's icons for sure.. I've never even driven a countach.. The testarossa is a blast to drive.. Anyhow, I love vintage cars best.. And I love carbed cars and the old feeling best, like in my Urraco, Alfetta GTV or my Fiat Dino..

Will the countach be more old fashion?
Nothing beats the looks of the countach and I really have to have one some day..

Then there is maintainance costs.. The TR have to do the belts every 5 years or so.. The countach dont.. But i have the impression that the countach is less reliable in other areas?

Any input on that?

Every opinion is aprecciated

wich one would you choose if you couldn't have both

Bedt regards from
Daniel dreaming of owning a countach



Well, the TR was made to take the 'top speed' title back away from the 5000S Countach, and it did, by a little. So Lambo came back with the QV, which took that title back away from Ferrari, by a little. Then the F40 took it back, by a lot, and then the Diablo took it back away again, by a little, and so goes the story.....
But, honestly, a Countach and TR are really similar in performance, and only an expert driver on a track or controlled environment could notice any real significant difference, so you are down to looks, maintenance, and comfort unless you are a hard-core high-performance driver.
Looks: This is completely subjective and only you know what look you prefer.
Maintenance: Similar, with the advantage to the Lambo if we are talking about cars in great condition that were well maintained. Timing chains help the Lambo, but clutch cost is double on the Lambo.
Comfort: TR wins here....easier to see out of, get in and out of, and smoother, lighter controls.
I think you have to drive a Countach to compare.
This is all just my opinion and others may disagree.....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Jedi's Avatar
Two Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle Area
Full Name: Jedi
Posts: 26,852
My Garage
I've had the luxury of driving both - the TR wins (to ME) hands down. It's not
my favorite car - too big for my taste, and HARD to turn in tight spaces (my
driveway, tight parking lots). But the Countach is a BEAST by comparison.
IMPOSSIBLE to see out of except to the front, the windows don't really open,
and the CLUTCH!!! I'd have to hit the gym more to beef up my left leg. Maybe
the one I drove wasn't adjusted right, but it was a HARD clutch. It's also VERY
expensive to replace - as I understand it, the engine has to come out to change
anything in the clutch - a $10k service.

Were it ME, I'd go TR long before CT - no matter how much I like the CT - which
I do.

Jedi
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztunelover View Post
Wow, much thread, such silly, very amuse, many stalk, so unimpress, such decision, very gallardo, much debate, so women, such attract, amaze, wow
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norway
Full Name: Daniel
Posts: 257
Thank you for your input.. really dont have had the oportunity to drive the countach.. But will for sure if I have the oportunity anytime soon

So your choice is? More comfort in the TR? For a trip across europe the TR is the car to have?

Cheers

Daniel
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 553
The TR is a wonderful car. It is big and wide and low. They drive very nicely, are comfortable and easy to see out of. I like them alot as they have the old character and feel that I like most in vintage cars.
The Countach is a more macho vehicle and both commands are requires more attention. Nothing compares to the feel of a Countach. They are far more rare. WAAAYYYY more rare. Service is about the same in my experience as the Lambo is a reliable car if taken care of. I just think the lambo is another level above the Tr in terms of excitement and testosterone.
I have driven all configurations and nothing compares to a DD car!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado
Full Name: Victor Holtorf
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skogens Baron View Post
Thank you for your input.. really dont have had the oportunity to drive the countach.. But will for sure if I have the oportunity anytime soon

So your choice is? More comfort in the TR? For a trip across europe the TR is the car to have?

Cheers

Daniel

Again, it is your choice. If I were single and looking for adventure, I would take a Countach, and I would stop every couple of hours or so to stretch my legs for a bit. If I were married and wanted to enjoy the trip without as much adventure, I'd take the more comfortable, easier to drive, but less exciting TR.

Another silly metaphor I've heard a lot is that driving the Countach is like sex with your mistress, a stripper, or (insert something really exciting here), and the TR is like nice love-making with your wife of 10 years. So what do you want when you open the garage door for a weekend drive?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vegas baby
Posts: 42,000
I've driven both. The TR is really more of a real car. What I mean by that is that you can use it in more in the real world. The Countach is pure toy to be used only under the very best situations.

The Countach to me was just plain scary. Difficult to control at full throttle, difficult to see out of, difficult to sit and be comfortable in, difficult to putter around town in, impossible to park, and the side window situation is really a joke. It's also difficult to work on. You'll need to be best buddies with your mechanic.

The TR has some similar problems but nothing like the Countach.

But, here's the weird part.... I'd buy a Countach over the TR if given the choice. In fact, someday I'd like to have one. It's just... so weird and wonderful. It's still the only Lambo (well, aside from a Miura or course), that has ever floated my boat.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,438
I REALLY like the engineering that went into the TR. It's a superb car, and really sorted out from the previous Boxer. I do not know why it gets such a bad knock from the Ferrari community (tho frankly I've never likes the look of the side vents -- but that's minor)

The countach was, I'm afraid, never really sorted out (except maybe by individuals). If I were to buy one, I wouldn't buy the lp400 because -- I've driven it enough to know -- I don't fit in it, and it's claustrophobic. I've always felt it's a 7/8th scale car, stunning as it is (especially sitting in the garage!)

The next generation countach was simply adding some more room to the car, and though one of my favorite drives ever was an S-5000 (great car!) overall, I think the TR is just more dialed in.

If I had to pick one, I'd pick the TR if I just wanted a car to drive, and I'd pick the countach if I wanted a car to tear apart and rebuild into the car I really wanted It's really a scary beast...in the best sense of the word(s)

Fred
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #9  
Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 542
I can't comment on the TR, but the Countach is a great car.

Despite the beastly wild looks the car can be as docile as your basic domestic car.

Around town it will tolerate stop and go traffic without overheating, and while the clutch is a little heavy, I have driven trucks that have heavier clutches.

This is not to say that there are not drawbacks to the car.

It does not have great rear vision.
It does not have power steering.
It does not have cruise control.
It does not have cup holders.
It does not have a stereo that is louder than the engine.

And when the wifey calls me while I am driving, I can not even hear the phone ring.

Damn! I love this car.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-08-2010, 08:35 PM
ralfabco's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Click from the beach
Full Name: Israel Beiteinu
Posts: 12,591
This should be fun, to sit back and watch the comments.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Down South
Posts: 129
I've owned both. The CT was an 86 and the TR is an 86. Listen to the guys about clutches. When my CT first arrived I drove it from the drop off to my house, about 1.5 miles. When I got home my leg was shaking. No exaggeration. I thought my Vipers had strong clutches but they so failed in comparison. The clutch job averages 10k because you need to pull the enire engine and trans in one fell swoop to change it. Then there's the while it's out service. While it's out let's fix those leaking gaskets or rebuild the $1000 + waterpump or replace those steel braided hoses (5 @ $200 ea), etc, etc. In my opinion, parts are very hard to source and the ones sourced are usually from the regulars with astronomic pricing. Due to supply some of it was justified but others are a rip off.

So service aside, I absolutely loved the car and I would buy another. Think of a CT as an old muscle car and the TR as a new muscle car. The old is brutal to drive but you love it's bad points so much you can't get enough. Then you drive the TR and life is so simple. Still get the low profile and attention but the drive is so much more refined. I'm a CT kind of guy but love the ease of driving the TR.

Good luck with your decision. Just make sure you have deep pockets for either and it really helps to be handy so labor is removed from most of the work.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: washington
Posts: 94
I can't say much about a TR, other than from looking at them up close, but I still want to drive one to see what the difference really is. From my observations they would be much easier for ingress and egress, vastly superior for driver visibility, and the interior seems more suited to everyday use in the comfort department.

But!! ...... I own an injected Countach. Everybody says they are not comfortable for more than a few hours, but I think that depends on your personal build. I am 5' 9" and the seats fit me to a tee. I have hopped into the car on many occassions and left Vancouver, WA and arrived 30 miles from the Canadian border north of Colville, WA. That is 438 miles one way with only fuel stops (maybe one pee break?!!). That points out another strength of the car, without cupholders you don't have to stop to pee!! Now that is engineering excellance.

A CT is not reliable? As far as the injected cars go, I would say that is not correct as long as you trash the original ignition system and replace it with a MSD box. Yah, the steering takes a bit of effort but have you ever driven any car in that weight class with manual steering that didn't? The clutch behind my old "66" 427 Chev was harder than the CT, and then let's talk about aftermarket performance clutch pressures.

I drive mine in traffic all the time and I am not worried about jumping in it and driving long distances. It has never let me down. Never overheats, never gets tempermental, and always satisfies my primal urges!! Adrenalin rush guarenteed with each and every drive.

I do think the TR's engine compartment looks much better (compared with an injected model) and more refined. Just looks cleaner to me. But close the engine hatches, and I'm partial to the CT. Don't get me wrong, the TR is a good looking car, but my own preferences steer me to the CT. Drive one, then form your own opinion on which you like best. Naysayers come in both varieties!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Jet-X's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Orange County
Full Name: Brian
Posts: 3,892
My former mechanic had a Countach in a couple years ago for a clutch replacement. He quoted $15k - $12k for the clutch itself, $3k in labor to pull the motor, change clutch, put it back together.

I would love to hear from Countach owners, but the $12k clutch itself? That blew my mind (not to mention he waited 3 months after sourcing it to arrive from Italy).

Please tell me the clutch part (even one of those Kevlar ones) doesn't cost that much?!?! That scared me away from a Countach...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 PM
joe sackey's Avatar
Two Time F1 World Champ
Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern California
Full Name: Joe Sackey
Posts: 28,691
By the time the Annivesario rolled around it could best the Testarossa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPqVF7hqQiQ&NR=1

1988.5 below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (120.8 KB, 463 views)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-X View Post
My former mechanic had a Countach in a couple years ago for a clutch replacement. He quoted $15k - $12k for the clutch itself, $3k in labor to pull the motor, change clutch, put it back together.

I would love to hear from Countach owners, but the $12k clutch itself? That blew my mind (not to mention he waited 3 months after sourcing it to arrive from Italy).

Please tell me the clutch part (even one of those Kevlar ones) doesn't cost that much?!?! That scared me away from a Countach...

You can have your original clutch rebuilt using Kevlar for about $3K US

The clutch release bearing itself can also be rebuilt at a reasonable price.........
but a new one is just over $7K US

Labour to R&R the engine/trans is about 30-35 hours.

On the bright side (if your Canadian) the C$ is close to par.

Last edited by 12097; 03-08-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-09-2010, 03:15 AM
EMILIO's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Italia
Posts: 4,679
it sounds to me the countach is the car you want

i have seen all the cool vintage exotics and nothing looks and sound as cool as a countach. period

the testarossa is a good car, it is nice, fast, pretty reliable and is the sensitive option...

but in all honesty....who cares? nobody wants the sensitive option when we are talking about 25 years old 12 cil. exotics.. there is nothing sensitive about owning one

p.s. about the heavy clutch: it is not a real issue
the 4 liter cars have an almost soft clutch, the QV has an heavy clutch stock

a good lambo shop can up grade the QV clutch and make it as soft as on the early cars
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #17  
Old 03-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norway
Full Name: Daniel
Posts: 257
Question

many interresting opinions! thank you all guys.. yes.. the countach is the car I really want no doubt about that.. allways been my dreamcar..

Dont mind a heavy clutch.. real cars shouldnt be like driving a toyota rear visibility we all know about, and balbonis actions to solve the problem I have been sitting in a countach but thats about it.. Im 192 cm and i did fit.. but its more like putting your car on, then jumping in the testarossa..

funny thing about the comparison between the mistress and the wife.. We all know what we want for the once in a while drive don't we..
I dont feel that the testarossa is all that easy to drive compared to other cars.. you should have respect at wet surface and not everybody knows how to handle that bigg ass

If I compare with my urraco the testa is mutch more rafined.. The urraco feels a bit more pinchcliffe grand prix! and i love it The tr seems solid built and not like the Urraco at all.. The Urraco is usable at short distances and nothing to take across europe.. with a broken differential just fixed last summer, and now with a blown headgasket its not that reliable.. Is the countach closer to the tr in relability or is it more like an urraco when your just waiting to hear a new noise? For sure its about how the cars have been taken care of, but in general, a well kept tr and a well kept countach.. Its an issue to me, when you could get two tr's for the price of a good countach.. Almost


Performance isnt important at all.. In modern standards theyre not fastest anyway, and its quite similar between the two rivals.. Its the feeling thats important.. And reliability.. Its nice to trust the car.. at least a fair amount

Is it really so that the TR are the well educated great mother type of girl and the countach is the stripper? TR dull in comparison? discuss!

Thank you guys, for all your input..

cheers
Daniel
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-09-2010, 08:38 AM
staatsof's Avatar
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hidden in NJ
Full Name: Bob off-the-grid S
Posts: 21,054
That's an awful lot of smileys ...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norway
Full Name: Daniel
Posts: 257
Yess.. Wrote it on my cell.. sorry about that.. Didnt se the whole picture before posting.. I cant edit it either???
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-09-2010, 11:12 AM
thecarreaper's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: southeast
Full Name: name
Posts: 12,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skogens Baron View Post
many interresting opinions! thank you all guys.. yes.. the countach is the car I really want no doubt about that.. allways been my dreamcar..

Dont mind a heavy clutch.. real cars shouldnt be like driving a toyota rear visibility we all know about, and balbonis actions to solve the problem I have been sitting in a countach but thats about it.. Im 192 cm and i did fit.. but its more like putting your car on, then jumping in the testarossa..

funny thing about the comparison between the mistress and the wife.. We all know what we want for the once in a while drive don't we..
I dont feel that the testarossa is all that easy to drive compared to other cars.. you should have respect at wet surface and not everybody knows how to handle that bigg ass

If I compare with my urraco the testa is mutch more rafined.. The urraco feels a bit more pinchcliffe grand prix! and i love it The tr seems solid built and not like the Urraco at all.. The Urraco is usable at short distances and nothing to take across europe.. with a broken differential just fixed last summer, and now with a blown headgasket its not that reliable.. Is the countach closer to the tr in relability or is it more like an urraco when your just waiting to hear a new noise? For sure its about how the cars have been taken care of, but in general, a well kept tr and a well kept countach.. Its an issue to me, when you could get two tr's for the price of a good countach.. Almost


Performance isnt important at all.. In modern standards theyre not fastest anyway, and its quite similar between the two rivals.. Its the feeling thats important.. And reliability.. Its nice to trust the car.. at least a fair amount

Is it really so that the TR are the well educated great mother type of girl and the countach is the stripper? TR dull in comparison? discuss!

Thank you guys, for all your input..

cheers
Daniel

Daniel, i was allowed the honor to get some good driving time in Joe Frazars ( recently sold) 85 Factory Injected 5000S. The clutch was never an issue for me, whereas the lack of visibility was, as it was not my car. i found the car to be a joy to drive, even in town. it had plenty of power, never ran hot, the A/c worked at well as could be expected ( you need working, well maintained a/c in a Countach, with that big glass windshield!)

I never went really "fast" in the car, as it was not my car, and we were always on public roads, but it was a real treat. the single biggest draw back other than price, at my level of means, was the freaking crazy reactions from the local public when Joe and I took his car out. you had to be in a good, patient mood to deal with all the idiots.


i have only driven a TR one time, and it was on the Roebling Road racetrack near my home. i love the looks, and the "ease" at which you can drive it, but the TR is just too heavy, in feel, and real world weight , and its too wide to really be enjoyed where i live.

on the track it would change personalities above 80 mph, in a good way, but the cars best personality is unusable on public roads. which is why i am going to keep a collection of old, slow , "cheap" Porsche's and Ferrari's for now on, as opposed to having $$$ tied up in one car.

i would say get yourself a Countach. a QV or a well sorted 2v Injected 5000s should be plenty of safe fun for you.

please post pics when you do!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.