Advice on moving to Vegas area | FerrariChat

Advice on moving to Vegas area

Discussion in 'Las Vegas' started by anunakki, Feb 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #1 anunakki, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Im moving to the area. Im not interested in gambling , clubbing or anything on the Strip other than occasionally going to a nice restaurant, so I dont need to be close.

At the same time I dont want to be all the way up in Reno as thats too far to LA, which I will have to drive to a couple times per month..

I know Southern Nevada is a desert (as is where i live in SoCal), but are there areas that are naturally forested or where the developer has landscaped to be more green ?

The idea of 'desert landscaping' or a back yard that is all concrete, makes me cringe.

Below is a pic of my current backyard, and Im looking for an area that has a similar feel. Its not some crazy Tropical Resort, but its not 'desert' either.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Please don't come out here and further drain Lake Mead..............That being said Summerlin and the 7 Hills part of Henderson are going to be your best bet. Lake Las Vegas is a nice area as well. Unlike Cali we have not come out nor does it look like we will come out of our SEVER drought anytime soon.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #3 TheMayor, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Summerlin. I'd start there. But a lot depends on what you're looking for. Current inventory is low.

I looked a lot a Red Rock, the Lakes, and other gated communities like Spanish Trails.

If you want quiet I would look at Henderson and Lake Las Vegas. All these are still maybe 30 minutes from the strip. There are some amazing properties out there at 1/2 to 1/4 the price of LA. Property taxes also lower. Car taxes a hair higher. Sales taxes a bit lower. Income tax -- zip. Car insurance a bit higher as well but it depends on the zip code.

One good thing is if you trade a car in NV, you deduct the trade value from the sales tax. In CA you pay 100% of the new car price. But you can't buy a car on Sunday. :)

Also, the waiting lists for new Ferrari's is years less than LA.

4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I concur with The Mayor and will add that you may want to look at older areas which were landscaped long, long ago. I think the Las Vegas Country Club has green areas still.

Mark

5. AndrewG2

AndrewG2 Karting

Feb 22, 2013
    Las Vegas NV
    Id recommend you check out Southern Highlands if you drive to LA a lot like I do.

Its the Southern most part of Vegas and easy access to the 15 fwy. Also minutes from the airport.

Summerlin is nice but at add at least 20 more minutes to the drive each way. Thats with no traffic.

Its fairly green as well.

Good luck!

6. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    My wife and I have owned building lots (and sold them) and have been seriously looking at properties for about a year in preparation for my retirement. The suggestion to look in the Las Vegas CC area is a good one if having mature greenery around you is important. The older lake Las Vegas development might suit your needs (not for me for many reasons). The Ridges in Summerlin is a high-end neighborhood with views, lots that are a smidge larger, and tons of landscaping. Older areas of Henderson are probably your best bet....of course your price point/house size will be a major factor.
    The only thing close to "naturally forested" is the original springs just to the west of the I-15 where the old jungle park is/was...

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    The Ridges is really nice, but homes there start at around $500,000, so I guess we may need to know Jerry's budget.

Jerry, I want to say I remember you talking about what you would want to spend on a home and it was around there?? Am I remembering incorrectly?

For $1,000,000, you can live like a king here. For $500,000 you can live really, really well. You can build a great home for $500,000 (or even $350,000 depending on location) and spend $50,000 to make the backyard anything you want. Not many people here still have natural grass, but nice landscaping is very common. Artificial turf is becoming quite popular, and I must saw, I like it. We're going to add some to our backyard at some point.

Mark

8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #8 anunakki, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    This is all really helpful info.

I would love to keep my budget at $600k or under but if I need to go a little higher to get what i want i can.

Im really liking the Southern Highlands area

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #9 TheMayor, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017

600 grand in LV -- no problem at all. 600 grand in LA gets you a shack in Compton. Average home price now is like $250K. But like everywhere its area, area, and location.

One thing--- it's hard to find one story houses in LV for some reason. Most are 2 levels with garages below and bedrooms above. And all gated communities will have an HOA.

An HOA is good and bad. Yes, it restricts you but it keeps others in your neighborhood from being an idiot. The HOA in my GF's community docked her for some little weeds on the side of the building. You could barely see them from the street. But they sent her a notice to remove them or get a fine. And the HOA pays for the security and the general upkeep of the neighborhood so that's good too.

I tend to view HOA's as more positive than negative. I'll accept the restrictions if it means the guy two doors down won't park a 68 Dodge Van on his front lawn or it forces him to keep his lawn green and cut.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Right now the biggest new home construction and growth area is the South Western area below the 215.

11. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    PM sent Jerry. Good luck. Keith