Exporting a 2000 360 from USA ?? Is there a market?? | FerrariChat

Exporting a 2000 360 from USA ?? Is there a market??

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by swilliams, Feb 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm thinking about this crazy idea of buying a 360 here that is being sold on export only basis.. (no title)

I was thinking about buying it and enjoying it while keeping it for sale on ebay,etc. as an good deal to export to wherever.

I am a dealer and would not have a problem driving it here until it got sold. I already have a 360 6speed and this one is a F1 car and is in immaculate condition. I would enjoy having a F1 around somedays. >-)

My question is what's the market like? Would you say there would be enough demand to sell this car for $55000 USD? before shipping..

Anyone bought one from the US? How did it go?

Talk me out of this crazy idea;)

2. SorpassoRosso

SorpassoRosso Karting

Jun 5, 2008

With all due respect, I find it hard to believe that being a dealer, you are actually asking these questions.

3. speedin

speedin Karting

Feb 24, 2008
    Houston/Mexico D.F.
    Full Name:
    Angel
    Where do you want to export it to?

4. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #4 swilliams, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
    Yeah crazy me. The car without a title brought $62k. It is not being exported either, a dealer bought it and will drive it on the street.

I couldn't believe it either. $62k no title WOW...

5. enzo588

enzo588 Karting

Feb 7, 2010
    Zurich,CH
    Sorry, This means its been seized by US Customs and means export only not to be driven or transported in the USA and also can not be sent to Canada or Mexico. only have 30-60days from the time its been bought + the load charges at the warehouse its sitting at. Not something you can do your self.

Bought / export / means goes into a container and must leave, don't play games with export only stuff.

Asides from the large chunk of cash you will have to present at the time of the sale will come many intrusive questions and also you will have a flag on your name with something like this. Again, as I said before export only means export only, if you do not have a car that is sitting in a US Customs warehouse then this a totally different story or from what many have told me, a lot of gray markets were imported never finished up the Federal paperwork and magically appeared with a Florida title.

Container to Most parts of Europe (20ft) $3300+customs and a laundry list of service charges from the export to the US side. total $5300usd

EU/UK/CH import taxes 35% (+/-) on a $55,000 car = do the math
    Switzerland the weight of the car is also taxed = $$$$$$$
    TUV or MOT inspection and charges $$$$$$$$$$
    Idle time untill you find a buyer. $$$$$$$$$

No one will buy it from you, and let alone sight unseen and with out a PPI. All cases you will deal with a handler/broker who would only at the most pay you 50% of your asking.

That said Export only's are sold with an export only title (looks like a US treasury bond) but its a Export only Title. Most of the EU countries want titles that are California titles only to get past the EU2/3 TUV inspection and emissions tests.

Export only means you only have 30-60days max with US customs to export it, and that means "export only" and sits at a warehouse until the paper work for the car is stamped off by Customs officer and exported, this does not mean exported to your garage and driven around town.

People-are very picky in europe when it comes to cars & car enthusiasts will not buy from a Ferrari they can not touch, and would rather see the car in person from a trusted soruce

IE local Ferrari dealer.

6. enzo588

enzo588 Karting

Feb 7, 2010
    Zurich,CH
    Wait for it to appear with a Florida title shortly after.

7. enzo588

enzo588 Karting

Feb 7, 2010
    Zurich,CH
    Watch out for cars that are in the USA with an export only title, can't go to Canada or even Mexico.

8. Dr.Velasco

Dr.Velasco Rookie

Jun 20, 2010
    You could send the car to Lima Peru.

A container from Miami to Lima would cost around $1.3k.
    Taxes are 30% ("Advalorem") + 19% ("IGV").

BUT if the car goes through customs as a salvaged car, then the only taxes you would pay would be 19%.

That could be arranged easily, the other issue is that you can only import a used car if it is less than 5 years old. this could also be arranged.

Ferrari prices in Peru are very high.

Let me know if I can help you.

9. zxttfan

zxttfan Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2009
    St. Louis
    True, but what's the chance that a US export title car is going to get flagged in Mexico. I suspect you could ship it to costa rica or panama and get it registered then import to Mexico. Another option would be to take the engine out and ship the two pieces separately. That tactic was used with great success in Russia ahile back.