Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Regional Areas - USA Midwest > Louisiana

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

There is a place in Bossier City (Across the bridge from Shreveport) called Kim's Seafood. He came up from N.O. about Katrina time. He makes real New Orleans Poboys. Only place in town that has them that taste right.

Last edited by Saabguy; 01-15-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 01-15-2017, 12:03 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabguy View Post
There is a place in Bossier City (Across the bridge from Shreveport) called Kim's Seafood. He came up from N.O. about Katrina time. He makes real New Orleans Poboys. Only place in town that has them that taste right.
Thx.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:30 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Jana
I love NOLA and since Katrina, I find it to be better than ever in terms of arts. But I agree that crime is definitely a problem. If it weren't for the fact that the houses rarely come with garages and definitely not as many as I need and the crime, I would buy a house there. I settle for visiting.

As for places to stay, you can't go wrong with the Ritz. Absolute incredible service and all of their food is fantastic, so room service is on the menu. I always do club level, which is a great place to grab a snack and work when it's raining and you can't walk around. Close enough proximity to walk to plenty and Uber if you don't feel like it.

We always walk Bourbon street when we're there and make sure we take major streets with other tourists when walking back to our hotel. That's the key really. That and just being smart. We usually make a trip a year for me to do research as my thriller series is set there. We have a horse carriage guy that is a walking history and news channel for the entire city. We hire him for four hour clips and he takes us wherever we want to go. We've been through all the wards and seen everything, the good and the bad.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana View Post
As for places to stay, you can't go wrong with the Ritz.
About a couple of years ago, there was a robbery in one of the luxury hotels. From what I recall, the bad guys held up some people in a hallway. It really freaked everybody out because hotels were supposed to be really off limits. Maybe somebody here recalls more than I do.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

You guys need to do something:

New Orleans police hunt suspects in brutal beating of tourists in French Quarter | Fox News
Old 06-26-2017, 09:31 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Tom C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Forever View Post
Thanks. What about po-boys in Shreveport?

Fertitta's. They're of Sicilian descent. Muffaletta is very good.
T
Old 06-26-2017, 11:07 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Nathan
My Garage
This happened to one of our fellow Fchatters last week. Personally, I won't be back in NOLA until they get the crime under control. Just not worth the risk. Plenty of other places with good food.

FAGAN: Car Sprayed With Bullets On I-10 In New Orleans. When Will The Madness End?

Mississippi family says they were shot at while on I-10 in New Orleans East | wwltv.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19390848_10213527493001009_2224664202156659573_o.jpg (38.3 KB, 261 views)
Old 06-27-2017, 08:21 AM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Aaron
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandarby67 View Post
This happened to one of our fellow Fchatters last week. Personally, I won't be back in NOLA until they get the crime under control. Just not worth the risk. Plenty of other places with good food.

FAGAN: Car Sprayed With Bullets On I-10 In New Orleans. When Will The Madness End?

Mississippi family says they were shot at while on I-10 in New Orleans East | wwltv.com
Nathan,
I saw this posted by a mutual Facebook "friend" of Todd and Katie before the news picked it up, I'm glad it's getting some more exposure. Really scary stuff and the fact that the NOPD seems unwilling or unable to do anything about the crime problem all over the city is disheartening to say the least.

I was leery about taking my family down to the city if we'd be there after dark, but now you can't drive past New Orleans in the middle of the day without being nervous. All while the mayor politics for higher office and panders to influential people within his party.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: David Lind
Thumbs down

The NO mayor is too busy taking down monuments to pay attention to small things like soaring crime, two-foot-deep pot holes and a high percentage of street lights burned out. I love NOLA, but it is completely out-of-control from a crime perspective.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahirsh View Post
The perception of the city that a lot of non-locals have is that it's unsafe, and that's bad for business.

This is why I have never been to New Orleans. I have traveled all over the country, and probably to more dangerous areas but the stigma NOLA has is not good. With all the places I can (semi) safely go and spend my money why would I go to NOLA? You all can tell me I am wrong but I am sure I am not the only one that thinks this way.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: David Lind
Lotaz, I am certain that IF you had a good, safe visit to New Orleans, then you would fall for its history, good time vibes, fantastic music, great food, etc. The people who aren't trying to kill you will be the nicest you've ever met, but, I'm sorry to say you have valid points about the crime. It's not just drug deals in the "bad neighborhoods" anymore; it's out of control.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Aaron
Case in point. This on on Decatur. If you're not familiar, it is a major street from Canal along the river and bordering the French Quarter. It is major tourist area. The vantage point in the video is what you'd see standing on the sidewalk right in front of Cafe Du Monde, looking at Jackson Square. It's total anarchy in New Orleans right now. The ATVs in the city have been a problem, but until now it's been in neighborhoods. Now, because they've been allowed to continue this behavior, it's moved to the downtown business and tourist areas of the city. This **** has got to stop.
Residents fear injury, death from ATVs in French Quarter | wwltv.com
Old 06-29-2017, 08:12 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

I was thinking about attending a conference in November, no more.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:59 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Frank
My Garage
Quote:
I was thinking about attending a conference in November, no more.
You would have to be crazy to come here. It isn't safe.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

What are LA and NOLA CCW laws like?
Just curious...
Old 07-03-2017, 11:23 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Frank
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Fred View Post
What are LA and NOLA CCW laws like?
Just curious...
You need a permit for concealed carry.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-17-2017, 10:09 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Dang I didn't think it was that dangerous. I've only been once for a friend's wedding the weekend before Thanksgiving in 2015. We all went to the Gold Mine Saloon in the French Quarter after the wedding (the flaming Dr. Peppers were great). We left around 2AM and walked back to our hotel about a 1/2 mile away (The Saint Hotel). Me, my buddy, and our two lady friends...no issues on the way back and my buddy was completely out of it drunk. Thankfully nobody hassled us.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:24 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.SauberF1Team View Post
Dang I didn't think it was that dangerous. I've only been once for a friend's wedding the weekend before Thanksgiving in 2015. We all went to the Gold Mine Saloon in the French Quarter after the wedding (the flaming Dr. Peppers were great). We left around 2AM and walked back to our hotel about a 1/2 mile away (The Saint Hotel). Me, my buddy, and our two lady friends...no issues on the way back and my buddy was completely out of it drunk. Thankfully nobody hassled us.

Once upon a time even the dirt bags understood you didn't rip the tourists, at least not in the quarter. But that's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 09:17 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Jana
Guess I'm canceling my research trip there that I was planning for Halloween. sigh
Old 07-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: John
Quote:
Once upon a time even the dirt bags understood you didn't rip the tourists, at least not in the quarter. But that's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For what it is worth, the same thing is now occurring in regards to tourist safety on the national mall in Washington, DC. A sign of the times.