'62 Maserati 5000GT | FerrariChat

'62 Maserati 5000GT

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by frank4cars, Oct 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    #1 frank4cars, Oct 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    markus77 likes this.
  2. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    #2 biz5300, Oct 4, 2008
    which chassis is this?
    Lets do a 5000gt rhread .. see if we can get pics of every car.. here is AM103* 0066.. As it is today!! Apparantly the owner in Munchen had starting problems when it was new and left it in the garden.. Later the put a truck on its roof by mistake when attempting to move it.. The car is new with NO milage...

Whos posts the Scha of Persia's Touring car now?.. telaio AM103.002
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dominik B. likes this.
  3. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    #3 biz5300, Oct 4, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
    Anyone know what the Danish Allemano sold for eventually? It sold later I know..

4. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    Also saw the Bertone was still inSpain..restored.. AM 104.004

5. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I wrote the full story of this car in our magazine DREIZACK.

...but why don`t you give credits with the photos when you publish them on the net???????

Ciao!
    Walter

6. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    ...but why don`t you give credits with the photos when you publish them on the net???????

+1

Anyway, Call me crazy but I have always fancied the Monterosa bodied 5000gt the most (#006). The car was driven at a couple of events at Nurburgring (cant recall who had it from new). It was owned by a real driver (J Swaters) at some point in the early 60s. I also have a personal relationship with the current owner so I suppose it makes me somewhat biased, but none the less I highly enjoy the car itself as well as it's history.

7. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I love these cars and believe they will be the next highly collectable classic. The car pictured at the beginning of the thread has a sign stating it belongs to Tom Shaunessy? Boy he gets his hands on some great cars and monitors this BB.

Are there still some un accounted for 5000 GTs out there?

David

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I have a photo of #006 when it was driven on the Nürburgring. But it was NOT driven by Swaters. The racing event was entered by its former German owner. I sent the current owner in the US some photos of the car I digged out with the ex-mechanic of the car.

Ciao!
    Walter

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #9 wbaeumer, Oct 7, 2008
    This is #006.

The first photo shows it in the backyard of the Factory.
    The second is a very rare photo of the first owner, Mr. Helms (with glasses) near the Modena Autodromo where the car was tested by its mechanic (next to him the prototype of the Tipo 151).
    The third photos is somewhat a sensation as it confirms the race-history of #006 on the Nürburgring with Mr. Helm. Unfortunately I do not know which year and event.

Ciao!
    Walter

10. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    Nice photos Walter thank you for showing us. I think i havent seen that car from behind before.

11. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    their is one in Australia, that is being restored in New Zealand, will be on the market within a year or so.

12. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Ah ha, Mr Helms was the first owner. I knew that Swaters had nothing to do with 006 at Nurburgring and that it was the original owner who had, but I had a heck of a time trying to find out who the first owner really was.

I know that the current owner had real problems trying to get the engine to run correctly. Matter of fact, when it was displayed at Pebble Beach I was told that they still did not have it running correctly. I seem to remember them telling me jokes about how you really can get a 5000gt to move on half an engine! I believe the problem was in the cam timing in conjunction to the dual distributor setup/confusing Lucas injection system.

13. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Regarding the tipo 151. I always read and was told that they were the fastest cars at Lemans in their day, but were not reliable. Any truth to that ?

14. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The engine cannot run propperly when you don`t re-design the internals! This is very expensive as a new crank has to be designed. In Germany 2 cars got this update and they going like hell!

Ciao!
    Walter

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Correct!

Ciao!
    Walter

16. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

The car runs beautifully now, but it took some time to figure out what exactly to do in order to make it happen. I seem to remember the engine having to come apart a couple different occasions to work out the specifics. I believe help was recruited from Kyle Fleming and his endless resources as well

17. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    I remember going with my dad to a classic car dealer in Arlington VA in the 70's and we looked at a Touring bodied Maserati 5000 GT to purchase. My dad didn't liked the way it ran so we didn't buy it. I also remembered they had a Ferarri Barchetta there as well. It might have been Thourghobred Motors? (Clarendon/Arlington VA.)

18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Without re-designing the complete engine the motor will do good only for a short period. #006 got now an overhaul for the 6th time! Mr. Helms, the 1st owner, commissioned an overhaul twice --in only 3 years!

Ciao!
    Walter

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Wrong desicion not to buy it (but at that time...) - the three Touring-5000 had all the real 450S-engine (with gear-drive!)!

Ciao!
    Walter

20. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    I had the chance to buy 010 in 1979 for 50 000 swedish kronor.But my income then was 20 kronor/week,i was 17 years old. So the motor in Touring 5000gt is better Walter?

Magnus

21. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    Do you know the VIN Walter?

22. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    wow a 6th rebuild. When did the current owner pull it apart again?

23. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    It was #002, the ex-Shah-car. Today the most valuable 5000 GT. The car is stored since 15 years in a secret garage in Paris!

Ciao!
    Walter

24. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    Thats a pity a car should be driven.I never saw the 010 in 1979.It was in Italy with swedish registretionnumber.Another Swedish 5000gt was recently sold to a Swizz firm.I have only seen a 5000gt motor in Sweden,with the green colour on. The man i bought my Indy from sold his Allemano a few years earlyer.

Magnus

25. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

#25 Harry-SZ, Oct 8, 2008
    Here is another Allemano bodied 5000 GT.
    Fantastic car!!! I really love the understated styling. Real GT, but with a F1-type engine.
    The car was in the Joop Stolze collection. Joop had two different 5000GT's at a certain time.
    One was with a chevy engine, but he managed to find the original (matching) engine!
    The dark red one is sold to Germany if I am correct.

But all this information will also be in that 5000GT book. I don't have it yet, but read it once.