Legendary Maserati "scrap heap",...... | FerrariChat

Legendary Maserati "scrap heap",......

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 3500 GT, Nov 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #1 3500 GT, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    ....I've read about, been told about, and heard stories of the "scrap heap" of cars that used to be behind the Maserati factory. I believe while under De Tamaso ownership most or all of what was there was sold.

I was told during the early 60's to the very early 70's there were many, many cars both street and competition stacked on top of each other. There was a 250F chassis, the tail section of a 250F, the Touring Prototipo "White Lady" AM101.001, an A6G, a few 200S bodies and chassis, a 300S chassis, 450S #4507 that was on fire???,..many, many bodies and wrecked race cars which were picked for thier parts and left. ---- Is any of this true??? ---

Can anyone else tell a personal story of seeing or getting any cars/parts from the scrap heap? Frank M,....care to add any photos or stories? Herr Baumer, have any photos/stories? We'd love to see some!!!!

Ciao and best!

2. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    It is true. I saw it with my own eyes. Don't forget the Eldorado and the A6GCS Pininfarina Coupe were there as well.
    FGM

3500 GT likes this.
  3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Reg. the mentioned 300S- & 450S-chassis - no, that is NOT true!
    And no - there was only one 200S-chassis (and not "a few"!

Ciao!
    Walter

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #4 Nembo1777, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
    The Touring Prototipo "White Lady" aka Dama Bianca AM101.001 is now owned by Adolfo Orsi grandson of namesake, it is stored in a rural warehouse near Modena, he showed it to me a few years ago, needs full restoration.

When I visited Peter Kaus in 1996 for an article on the Tipo 151's he explained that Joe Finn carted away truckloads of old parts and more when de Tomaso ordered the big "spring clearing."

best regards,

Marc

3500 GT likes this.
  5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    No pics? At least , there are photo's of the Ferrari scrapheap. One man's trash...

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I have some ....somewhere! Will post them later!

Ciao!
    Walter

3500 GT likes this.
  7. VeloceOne

VeloceOne Karting

Jul 18, 2007
    #7 VeloceOne, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
    Hi all,
    According to an article in the march/1963 Road and Track, the Costin-Maserti coupe was found by an American, Byron Staver, "languishing ignominiously on the scrap heap".
    This car has always been one of my favorite Maserati's Regards, Ian

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #8 wbaeumer, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ian,
    and here is your favorite car as it was found by Byron Stayer. In the background you see an A6GCS Pininfarina coupe and some chassis.

Ciao!
    Walter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. VeloceOne

VeloceOne Karting

Jul 18, 2007
    Hi Walter,
    Great photo, thanks for posting it. Regards Ian

10. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Thank you Walter for posting that photo! Very cool for us youger guys who were not lucky enough to be around then!

I was told that 450S # 4507 was on the pile at one time. I'm not claming it was,...I was TOLD that it was there. The same Sig. said there were two 300S chassis on the factory heap, either waiting to be repaired or,.....?

Thanks again!

11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    For sure there was one of the three 350S on the "scrapyard" in the early 60s. This car (#3503) was sold to American car nut Tom Meade. He paid $420 for it....!

We have to understand that GILCO produced the 300S-chassis for Maserati on demand and its very unlikely that Maserati -who was always short of cash!- had ordered chassis for race cars in advance.

But fact is, that the original 16-cyl.-engine that was used for the world-speed-record by Borzacchini in 1929, was ordered to be scrapped by the man who is much honored by a lot of people as "The Man who saved Maserati" - Alessandro DeTomaso!

Ciao!
    Walter

Ciao!
    Walter

12. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    Some of my swedish friends Jan Svanbäck, Staffan enhörning and dan hedborg saw it all... Jan is the guy to talk to..

Nik

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Nik,
    please be a little precise: WHAT did they saw and WHEN?

Ciao!
    Walter

14. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Not to mention the V12 engine the Italian government (!!!) ordered scrapped as it was in a fake Maserati chassis! The sadness

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Correct - and the man behind intended this foolish operation is known......

Ciao!
    Walter

16. mm436

mm436 Rookie

Oct 31, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #16 mm436, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hallo, I just saw my name mentioned in this thread.
    I visited what I recall was an Orsi warehouse in Modena in ca1977. I only took a few photos, and attach some of them here. Apart from the engine blocks and cylinder heads etc, there was also a pile of riveted petrol tanks. The whole lot could be bought at the time, but I just didn't have the money!
    Just outside in open air was indeed the 101.001 prototype and a few other cars, already in pretty bad shape.
    Those were indeed different times........
    Regards,
    Dan

wbaeumer and 3500 GT like this.
  17. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Dan,
    thanks for posting this very interesting photos.
    But: was this "Orsi warehouse" within the Maserati premises that was owned by DeTomaso at that time or was it a different location outside the FActory?

Also - do you have more photos around which -probably- confirm the race car remains?

18. mm436

mm436 Rookie

Oct 31, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Hallo Walter,

I visited the factory a few times to buy spares for the 3500 I had then, and to see the factory of course, usually talking also to Cozza. I am pretty sure that a younger employee took us in his car to see the Orsi spares, that they were no longer within the factory compound. I did not see any race car chassis at this location. If you send me a pm with your e-mail adress I could send you the other photos I have in a higher res.

Best regards,
    Dan

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Hi Dan,

PM sent!

20. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I visited this warehouse owned by the Orsi family back in 1979/80. It was located in the industrial area just on the other side of the tangenziali about 1 or 2 KLM at most from the factory.
    The white lady was there as were a lot of old race car parts. At the time Roberto Orsi Adolfo's brother took me there to look at some OEM exhaust system parts he wanted to sell me. Old issues of VCM show photos taken at the time.
    Ciao,
    FGM

21. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Dan, thanks for posting the photos. It's interesting to see 101.001 still with her unique window trim that runs into the rear qtr spears. It still had the original tail lights and unique rear bumper at that time.

I wonder how she's doing today?

~Trev

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Restoration is finished. Today owned by Signor O.

23. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Walter,
    Are you sure the restoration is finished? When I saw the car in Sept the sheet metal work was just beginning. It needed a lot of work. My guess is that it would need to be rebodied.
    FGM

24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Frank,
    I heard (!) that the resto is finished! I did not see the car so far.

25. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer

Are there any photos of the craftsmanship of the current restoration of 101.001? It would be a real treat to see her.

Ciao and best!

~Trev