Ghibli Spyder | FerrariChat

Ghibli Spyder

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by The Red Baron, Feb 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    What are these cars selling for now days. How many were made.

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #2 wbaeumer, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    They made 125 Spyder. From this production 38 cars came in 4.9-liter specs (all writings about only 25 SS-Spyder are wrong!), from this 38 only 5 had the Hardtop.

The price? Depends wich version (4.7 or 4.9) you like and where you want to buy them. In EU the cars are more expensive...

Ciao!
    Walter

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    In the USA, prices range from around $225,000 (if you are lucky to find one at that price) to the mid-$400s for a 4.7.

For an original 5-speed, 4.9, with the hardtop; you better bring the second checkbook.

Be really, really careful when buying a Ghibli spyder! I have run into two cars that have "proper" odd ending serial numbers that were cut coupes with fraudulently modified frame VINs. Also, there are a some cars that were repaired after major accidents (ex: front end from coupe, rear end of the car rebuilt, etc) plus cars converted from automatic to 5-speed. The tranny conversion is a lot more involved as the car frame is wider on the automatics to accommodate the gearbox. Also, the center console is wider, etc.

Contact me off line if you find a spyder you like and I can guide you on how to check it out.

These are fabulous cars and very much under-priced. If you can afford it, now is the time to get one. I have a 4.7 spyder for sale but it may have been sold. I will know for sure in a few days.

Ivan

4. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
  5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I suspect you are correct that the true number of 4.9 liter spyders is greater than the 25 that most people (including me) quote.

Do you have the serial numbers of the 38 spyders which were 4.9? Only with hard evidence can we start setting the record straight.

While I have nothing against the 4.9 liter cars, I do find it amazing the premium some people with pay for the extra .2 liters.

Ivan

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ivan,
    yep, the premium is amazing. But the 4.9-cars are the -more- collectables as they are so rare. And only few cars are in good to very good condition.

Ciao!
    Walter

7. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Walter you have not answered Ivan's question but have chosen to ignor it.
    Please tell us what serial numbers you have for the 38 4.9 spyders.
    All of us here on the Mchat happily contribute to your demands/request for VIN's so now it is your turn to show us what you believe to be the 38 4.9 cars or is it really 25.
    Here is your chance to do the right thing, and lay it out like, the team player you are.
    Ciao,
    FGM

8. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer

+ 1 ~ WORD!

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #9 wbaeumer, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    Frank,
    the info came from Cozza summer late year when I brokered a 4.9-Spyder.

This are the 4.9-Spyder I have in my registry:

this are the 36 Spyder SS I have. So there are 2 missing in my registry.

btw - I did not "ignore" Ivan`s question - I simply forgot to answer it! Its always me to request VIN from members here - but I also provide them a lot and without beeing asked! And it was me here on this Forum (!!) who cared first about the VIN of classic Maserati GT-cars. So, don`t blame me here.
    I got numerous requests via PM for the history of specific cars, and whatI have I always share. Hope this is "team player" enough......

Ciao!
    Walter

10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think the Ghibli Spyder must be one of the most stunning convertibles ever made and in my opinion choosing between it and a Daytona Spyder would be very tough, the Maserati is hugely pretty and on the whole considering the price difference the Maserati really is the pick of the two!

When I think of the Ghibli Spyder I think back to an article done in CLassic Car a few years ago, lovely maroon example, pictures taken in California.

11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Thanks Walter! I have updated my website to indicate 38 Ghibli SS spyders made. It will take years before this becomes the accepted number, and perhaps the real number is 36; but it sure appears 25 is not correct.

When I was in the process of researching spyder #1103 Fabio Collina initially indicated that it was a 4.9 liter but that it had not been indicated in the paperwork as the engine had not been homologated for the USA. I knew it could not be a 4.9 since the engine had just been rebuilt and the mechanic would have known. He later found additional paperwork which indicated that at the last minute a 4.7, not the 4.9, was installed. Car #1103 may have been originally counted as one of the 38 4.9 by Cozza, which would help explain part of the discrepancy in the total number..

Perhaps you should start a thread which lists the production numbers by model. Marc Sonnery has good information on Khamsins; 5-speed vs automatic; Euro vs USA spec.
    To this date we read about the 98 Sebring series 2 that were made; which for years we have known is not correct. What has lacked in the past is the supporting data to back up the production number claims. For too many years we have had to accept whatever someone else invented.

Also, you once indicated there are 5 Ghibli with the same VIN. It would be interesting to know those 5 VIN, with photos of the 10 cars affected and photos of their VIN plates. Personally, I find this hard to believe, but I have been wrong before. If things like this actually happened then we need hard evidence and this is an area where you can really help.

Ivan

12. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    There is obviously a need for a Maserati GT car registry along the lines of the Lamborghini Registry.

BTW Another car where the often quoted production numbers are wrong is the Bora. Total production is 483 cars. Not counting the Panini bitzer the last two Boras were built Oct 1978.

Joe

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    .2 liters and 25 HP. As any woman will tell you Bigger is Better! :)

14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I inquired about the yellow spyder (#1005) being put back together at GTC. They want 360,000 Euro ($478,000) when completed in March. Looks like it will be a nice car.

Over a year ago, I tried to contact the owner of the burnt yellow spyder (#1267) in the UK, and did not get a response. The Anamera ad is over 2 years old. Does anyone know the whereabouts of this car? Appears to have been a nice car before the fire, but fires can really create a lot of damage. It will probably cost around $200,000 (and many sleepless nights) to put "humpty dumpty back together again".

Ivan

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #15 wbaeumer, Feb 17, 2011
    Joe,
    I personally believe you are totally right - but lot of other members here seem not to agree! For them the mechanics are more worth to be discussed! I contacted a member of this forum who had some Ghiblis over the years, requesting the VIN of his ex-cars he described in a Maserati magazin. No response from him so far......

Ciao!
    Walter

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #16 wbaeumer, Feb 17, 2011
    Ivan,
    yep, that could be a good explenation for the sometimes wrong no.`s coming from Maserati in the past!

No, I do not disclose the VIN of those 5 Ghibli that share the same chassisnumbers with 5 other cars as I don`t want to get in lega trouble. I did it one with the owner of Bora #158 and he became very harsh to me. I was faced about the probem again when he had sold the car to someone in the UK who sold on the car to Germany - and now two #158 are existing in The Fatherland and the chap who purchased the car from the UK does not know now what to do....

As a "team plaer" that I am I forwarded ALL my Khamsin-registry to Marc Sonnery as all this became too much for me. Marc got some very detailed infos from my desk he didn`t had before with almost all of the cars he had collected.

Reg. a possible thread about all production-no.`s and an online Maserati-Registry: I always try to help individually (when asked) and I helped you also in the past - but I can`t feed anybody here........

Ciao!
    Walter

17. BartvanderWeiden

BartvanderWeiden Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart van der Weiden
    #17 BartvanderWeiden, Feb 17, 2011
    Hi Ivan,

Further to our communication on the Ghibli 5000 pages: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304967

It would be nice to measure the stroke of the engine in G#1103. You know there is absolutely nothing else than the stroke that differs in these early 4.9's: they had one S stamped in the IDnr and they had the twin plug casting. If one is not aware one may overlook this.

Regards,

Bart

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #18 Nembo1777, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes that was very helpful, it added a substantial percentage to my data so danke again!
    Andy Heywood also provided me with his records for right hand drive cars and in the early days, back in 2004 or 2005, Joe Corbaccio kindly gave me his data.

As of this minute I have 3100 plus photos and 358 folders though I hasten to add each folder is not a car. I have at least some data on about 310, 320 cars but defining what qualifies as data is like defining...many other things in life!

As a rule I share with those who ask politely on an individual car and have never refused to help. Very occasionally there is a cold email with about four words asking about a car out of the blue without offering any information, I call those people "Greed-culators" who just want to treat the car like stock market shares and I resent that...of course I am guilty of being involved in the brokering of a car when the opportunity presents itself so who am I to criticize:)
    One sacred rule though is that I never ever have or will ask if someone wants to sell his car...that is like making a rude comment on their wife.

On the matter of pricing Simon Kidston sold the Ghibli spyder shown below for 400000 Euros.
    Best in the world, I briefly rode in it and it was amazing. I am happy the say the seller has since bought two Khamsins:)

best regards,

Marc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Now thats a good boy Walter. :) And yes, you are the team player we all knew you were.
    For your reward, please enjoy an extra fruit cup for dinner tonight. Now if we could only put pins on a map showing where all these cars are located. Also it would be great if we could collectively audit this list in order to confirm these numbers are actually all 4.9's.
    If anyone has any directed knowledge of any of these cars please chime in.

On a serious note, thank you very much for all you do regarding the serial numbers.
    It is much appreciated by all of us. I find you a fun guy to pick on because you are, well, lets just say very Teutonic/German. Walter, I mean that as a compliment. And thats coming from an Italian boy from Lipari, an island off the coast of Milazzo, Sicilia.
    Ciao,
    FGM

20. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Kind of like when they sent that little guy to Elba. You sell of Concorso and MIE and they exile you to Lipari.

21. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Joe, It's the other way around. Italian boy comes to the great America and sees what is needed and provides it. All the while visiting Italy each year for the last 35 years.
    BTW Lipari is now an Italian tourist destination. When I visited there in 2005 I checked the white pages of the phone book and counted 43 Mandarano's (forty three) and thats from a population of less that 20,000 people. Aren't you glad you only have one to deal with. :)
    Ciao,
    FGM

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #22 wbaeumer, Feb 17, 2011
    Frank,
    well, every nation has its behaviors. We here from Germany may be "Teutonic" (which means in Germany something like an insult....) so what are the French, Brits, Italians (even when they are from Lipari..::)) and -yes, not to forget, the people from the mighty US of A??- I am what I am. And on everything I work on I try to do my best. Not more but no less....

Ciao!
    Walter

23. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Opps, Walter, please accept my sincere public apology for the T word (Teutonic).
    I had no idea it was considered an insult and that was the farthest thing from my mind.
    Just goes to show you that Mandaranos 12th law of business states that "jokes don't translate" and I broke my rule. I hope you will forgive me and put me back on your Christmas Card list.
    Ciao,
    FGM

24. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Walter,

You are absolutely correct. It is the same reason I will not disclose the VINs of the cut coupes.

What I was suggesting previously was a chart, perhaps a spreadsheet, that has the total number of cars built by model, broken down by whatever data is available (coupes vs spyders, 5-speed vs automatic, 4.7 vs 4.9, Euro vs USA, RHD vs LHD, etc). If there were prototypes or one-offs those could be spelled out, but without getting into details of their VIN and who owns them.

I just want to start correcting the bad information that has been published for years.

Ivan

25. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Huuuh...Ivan,
    that requests a lot of time and efforts.

Currently I am extremly busy and definitely have no time to do this.

Ciao!
    Walter