Frank's New 3500 GT | FerrariChat

Frank's New 3500 GT

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Portenos, Mar 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #1 Portenos, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In November I bought a 1960 Maserati 3500 GT owned by one family for the last 48 years.
    This is an incredible original time capsule that runs as well as it looks.
    The car carries its original paint, leather, carpets, door and trunk rubber, glass, and all of its original chrome.
    It only has 32,000 original miles.
    Last weekend I entered he car in the Desert Concours here in Palm Springs and won first place in the preservation class. This was the first time out for the car.
    I will not restore the car, nor chrome anything, it must be left totally original.
    The factory told me that there were only three 3500's painted this special color "Grigio Nembo" (cloud grey)
    My first venture into Italian cars was in 1976 when I bought a red 3500GT. I have now come full circle.

The history of the car is amazing as well. All you need to do is google
    "2901 Broadway San Francisco" and you will see the carriage house where the car sat for most of the 48 years.
    If you are in the desert please send me a pm.
    Ciao,
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. detailjohn

detailjohn Karting

Sep 4, 2008
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    John
    Stunning...

3. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    Luv it. Congrats. the 3500 is for sure one of the best classic Maserati's out there. Great Car.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Lovely car. Did the previous owner drive it regularly?

5. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
  6. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Documents that came with the car show the following.
    AM101.708 Carrozzeria Touring Number 6823

A one family owned car since April 20,1962. A true time capsule. Totally original.

According to Fabio Colina at Maserati SpA Historical Dept.
    “The car was ordered in November 1959. The first request of the Customer was to have the external colour "Grigio Fumo", but later he asked to change the colour. So the car was produced with external colour "Grigio Nembo" (code Savidin 4710) a very unusual colour.
    The interior were "Neutra" leather (white) (code Connoly PAC.1544).
    The car was equipped with front brakes disks, disc rims Borrani, manual gearbox, seat belts (driver and passenger). The engine was equipped with Weber 42 DCOE6 carburetors.
    The instrument cluster was "Smiths" type.
    The car was dispatched to Mr. Stanley W. Good Jr. in California on late December 1959, and on February 1960 the Customer received the car.”

We believe Mr. Good was a dealer who ordered the car for Dr. Henry C Portalupi

On April 20 1962 the car was Purchased by SF Businessman Mitchel L. Mitchell from Mary E. Portalupi the wife of Henry C Portalupi, of San Francisco.
    Mary E. Portalupi had recently acquired the car in a divorce settlement with Henry C Portalupi, MD.

Mitchel L. purchased the car with 3500 miles on the odometer. During the time Mitchel L. owned the car, it was always garaged at 2901 Broadway SF.

Mr. Mitchel L. Mitchell, passed away in April 1987.

On December 24th 1987 the title to the car was passed to his now 70 year old daughter Gladyne K. Mitchell. The car sat in the garage at 2901 Broadway until 1997 (10 years) when it was put into storage in Sonoma Wine country for 13 years.

Then in Sept 2010 Tony Mitchell the grandson of Mitchel L. Mitchell and son of Holbrook T Mitchel (Mitchel L Mitchell son) took the car out of the storage and got it running in order to sell.
    Tony said he had driven the car to the Concorso Italiano and had parked the car in the corral when the show was at Quail.

On Oct 29, 2010 Gladyne K. Mitchell sold it through Gull Wing Motor Cars - a NY broker - to Francis G. Mandarano.
    Upon Googling Mrs. Gladyne K. Mitchell, Mandarano discovered she is a San Francisco socialite who still owns her fathers home which can only be described as a Renaissance Palace built in 1927 on the gold coast hilltop in San Francisco
    The address is 2901 Broadway in San Francisco. Please see a copy of the title of the 3500 GT which clearly shows the 2901 Broadway address and Gladyne’s signature.

It appears her father was a car guy who owned many cars over the years.

Check out the following links to see this amazing home which is currently on the market for $45 million dollars. If you google 2901 Broadway San Francisco you will get 147,000 hits.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Francisco/2901-Broadway-St-94115/home/1419428

The most amazing find was in the original owners manual that came with the car.
    There I found where Mitchell L. recorded every service all the way up to 36,700 indicated miles. I bought it with 36,750 miles.
    Because the speedo is off by 18% the car actually has less than 33,000 miles.
    Ciao,
    FGM

7. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Great car.

My father was just down there at the Desert Classic and sent me the first draft of his article. He's bringing me the photos tomorrow so I can go through both and we can put together the coverage, which for the last two years has gone into Hemmings Motor News.

I've always loved the 3500. Such a pretty car, although when it was new, it wasn't the most notoriously reliable car. My favorite 3500GT story is that my father had three friends (one of whom was the man who introduced my father to my mother) who all bought new 3500GTs in Seattle all around the same time. In a couple years of ownership, AT NO TIME were all three cars on the road. Granted, this has more to say about the quality of the mechanics and the parts availability than the actual car, but I always thought it was funny.

Look forward to seeing it at Exotics At Redmond Town Center! (At which time, if my father sees it before I have a chance to make it up there, I'm sure he'll retell his three 3500 story.)

Enjoy it and congrats on the trophy.

8. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    very cool story! lets see more pics of the car

9. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Absolutely stunning car Frank. Congrats on that find, and the trophy! I hope that you hold on to this as long as possible, to add another beautiful piece of tapestry to the already remarkable history of 708. I hope to see it in person some day.

Please find some interior photographs to attach. I would love to see Connolly "Neutra".

10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #10 Portenos, Mar 4, 2011
  11. NWAutoSalon

NWAutoSalon Rookie

Oct 7, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Blake Siebe
    Stunning Car and Story, Nice pickup Frank!

12. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    Fabulous car.
    I wish more owners would keep their cars original.

Thank you very much for doing so. History can not be replicated nor restored.

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
  14. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Thats an amazing transformation.

15. F355 Spider

F355 Spider Formula 3

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Sonny
    Love it!!! Congrats....

16. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Congrats Frank! Thanks for posting all the details on the car, makes for a fun read.

17. HUZETI

HUZETI Rookie

Dec 5, 2008
    Fantastic find. Congrats.

18. HUZETI

HUZETI Rookie

Dec 5, 2008
    Fantastic find. Congrats.

19. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #19 Portenos, Mar 6, 2011
  20. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    You going to bring it back up north after having fun down there in the desert Frank? If do it will be nice to check it out in person some time! Congrats again on the buy, it looks like it's in great shape for being all original! You know what they say.....it's only original once!!

John

21. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Yes, I plan to truck it back to Mercer Is in May/June depending on the weather forcast. :)
    I also plan to drive it up to Vancouver with the Club in June.
    Ciao,
    FGM

22. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Look forward to seeing it sometime then!

23. atomic80

atomic80 Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Where it always rain
    Full Name:
    Jason T
    She's a beauty Frank! I hope to see her sometime in the near future. This is Jason btw...

24. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    #24 LamboRider, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    Frank buys Concours Italiano
    Frank buys Barn Find Maserati
    Concours Italiano starts new featured judging category: Barn Finds

Front page of website: http://www.concorso.com/

I wonder if Roy will be a sponsor?

Concours Italiano to Celebrate Originals and Barn Finds

Celebrating Originals & Barn Finds

As the saying goes, “You can only have an original car once.” This year we are delighted to be honoring these great survivors and recognizing those owners who have helped to preserve their originality and have resisted the temptation to restore, and in a worst case scenario, over-restore.
    Concorso Italiano has a long history of recognizing great Italian cars as they are. Our qualifications are simple, “Just wash it, and bring it.”
    We want your Original and/or Barn Find Italian Car to be featured at this year’s show.
    To qualify for our Centerpiece Display you will need to have an original un-restored 1973 or earlier Italian car. This means, original, or 80% original paint, original chrome, original interior, including leather and carpets. Mechanically the car can, of course, have been serviced, and should be in operating condition. Modern tires are acceptable if they are of the size originally equipped by the factory. You must be able to document the originality of your car. Some exceptions may be allowed.
    To apply for consideration in the Centerpiece Display please send a description of your car along with some digital photos. Please type “centerpiece display” in the subject line. The Centerpiece Display will feature a fascinating exhibit of a broad range of cars from all Italian Marques.
    Cars will be selected from the Centerpiece Display for presentation on stage based on several criteria including uniqueness, interesting find story, etc.
    All applications will be reviewed and a limited number of participants will be selected.
    Don’t delay. Contact us right away.
    ~ Concorso Italiano

25. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Uhhh if you look at the bottom of the page you will see that Cats Exotics is already an "associate sponsor".

So I guess the answer to your question is Yes, Roy will be a sponsor.