Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Other Cars > Maserati

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Davide Giuseppe F.
I just got back from Miami and every time I go back it seems there are more Maserati`s around. It`s great to see them on the road and they have fantastic road presence. Much more than Jaguar or Aston Martin.

Maserati has real potential and the folks at Fiat are realizing that.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

I own a Maserati (2002 Cambiocorsa spider) and I have to say, people really admire the car whenever I drive it. There is a mystique with the name that people recognize and like.

I think the bad ol' days of the Bi-Turbo's "bad rap" are gone. I don't think people today relate to that period at all.

As to it's future, I think it's bright. I like the new cars in the line up. They are elegant, beautiful, stylish, fast, powerful, and well engineered (something you couldn't always say unfortunately).

Their biggest problem is 1) a lack of dealerships and 2) depreciation -- which is probably connected to worrying about fixing them out of warranty. If they can get over these two hurdles, I think they have a long way to go in the US.

There is one thing that baffles me though. There seems to be very little connection in the consumer's mind to the glory days of the 60's and 70's when they were neck and neck with Ferrari in prestige, performance, and styling. If you ask a modern owner about a Bora, they probably never heard of it before. That's not true of your average F car owner. Ask them about a Boxer, and they will certainly know what it is.

It's sort of like the clock got reset in 2002. Everything before it is almost from a different company. The irony is the same factory has been chugging them out all the time, but few know it.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: IN COGNITO
mid engine masa?

How much credence u place on this artists impression who knows

Similarities to 458 r there,

(source EVO UK May)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new masa mid engine.jpg (47.0 KB, 133 views)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Terry
Very nice looking car! (that may or may not look anything like a car that may or may not be built) I have to imagine that the grill will need to be smaller to improve the numbers, though. But mid-engined, carbon frame, lightweight, dual-clutch, etc. all mean the business!!

Whether or not it's built, I like the fact that Maserati is thinking about it seriously enough for their CEO to announce it to the world. Seems like there's a hunger there for mooooooore.

Very exciting news!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Nice replacement for my current GranSport
Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 AM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBigs View Post
Very nice looking car! (that may or may not look anything like a car that may or may not be built) I have to imagine that the grill will need to be smaller to improve the numbers, though. But mid-engined, carbon frame, lightweight, dual-clutch, etc. all mean the business!!

Whether or not it's built, I like the fact that Maserati is thinking about it seriously enough for their CEO to announce it to the world. Seems like there's a hunger there for mooooooore.

Very exciting news!
I believe n o t h i n g as long as the car stands in frnt of me in 1:1 scale and in 100% working order!!!!!

And if this car really comes - expect the Ferrari Italia to be the stronger car....
Old 05-03-2012, 04:15 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jack Verschuur
It would be great for Maserati to have a true supercar in the line-up again, and if you as a car-maker can borrow from the best in the business, you're in a good place. The cost of tooling would be limited, and you appear with a mechanically sorted car.
There's no harm in it either for Ferrari, they can't possibly make enough 458's anyway.

Maserati needs a new poster-child, something to hang photo's of over your bed as an aspiring 15 year-old. That boy is your buying customer of tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Barchetta Mad Max
Lot of things said already, just wanted to add three things:

a) Current model range: honestly what we see in the Granturismo is a overweigth GT with a gas guzzler engine. Excuse me, if I see the new BMW 6 series or Jaguar XK - I just ask my self how can it be Maserati is building outdated performance?

b) Today's Maseratis are lightyears away from what actually made the raod cars of the Modenes Trident famouse and legendary: style, sometimes grace but always understatement! Never heard the last word? Well.. This is why I see ever more pseod-racing exhaust notes, mega wheels and other new-rich attributes. BUt o.k., these clientely in Arabia, India, China, Russia - may like it. Still it is not what Maserati is.

c) I can not see any diffferences between De Tomaso era and FIAT; both had great ideas, applied in a "medium" way. De Tomaso helped Maserati to continue and keep it alive - and started producing cars in a bigger scale (today they blaim him for that, but excuse me how many F cars are built every year???) But Fiat is not at all concentrated on the Tident at all. They do everything for Ferrari - but Maserati is about to stagnate.

I bet it all will end up like this under FIAT:
Maserati builds a QP, a fattened Coupe, maybe Cabriolet and a SUV. No Sports cars.

And yes: I am a BIG Maserati fan and owner - and I would love to see this brand up again.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

licodix, about performance: it is all about politics, Maserati is not allowed to produce a car that is faster than a Ferrari for half the money. It is as simple as that.

Ferrari would never allow Maserati to sell a 150,000 car that is as fast (or faster) as their own 300,000 car.

For example, only recently was Maserati allowed to produce a car that could be labeled as a 300km/h car. So far Maserati was only allowed speeds that started with a "2" in front. Thus, the GranSport could easily reach 300km/h but was marketed as a 290km/h car. (or 280, can't remember)

Unfortunately those are the rules of the game.

How about another example: The Ferrari California was not a Ferrari. It was a Maserati project that evolved into that car, which could have been the next GranSport. The car was completed and just before going "live" to the world, things changed for two reasons:

1) FIAT had a huge discussion about the SUV, Ferrari flatly refused to produce an SUV and told FIAT to give the project to Maserati.

2) Maserati was forced to produce the SUV which Ferrari refused to produce and thus the "Maserati California" had to be given to Ferrari.

This was also practical in financial terms: the same car that costs 100,000 with a Maserati badge will cost 200,000 in a Ferrari badge. So the "Maserati California" became the Ferrari California, with a different dashboard, new badges and twice the price tag, everything else remained the same from Maserati. Essentially, if you look at the California up close, you'll notice the sides which are smaller versions of the GranTurismo. Which is the brand identify of Maserati, but the project was already completed and they wouldn't change things, so they just fitted the dashboard and the badges and off to production

Ever wonder how Ferrari came up with a front-engined V8? It was a Maserati. So now you know

Welcome to politics!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Terry
Quote:
Originally Posted by f308jack View Post
Maserati needs a new poster-child, something to hang photo's of over your bed as an aspiring 15 year-old. That boy is your buying customer of tomorrow.
I want that poster above my bed too!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Maserati Blue - I know all these things.
And of course we all have a understanding for the company policies.
But it remains that the character and especailly the enigines of these current line of Trident cars are far away from what even FIAT could achieve if they would work a bit hard.

If you consider more mass production market for Maserati - the quality and the technical standard need to be according.
It may be that the US and Chinese customer do not care about fuel econmy, but it is absolutely inacceptably how inefficient Maserati engines are today - even compared to their F "sister" cars.
If you want to compeat with Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar & Lexus for the next generation big saloon, you need to spice up things a lot. (I follwoed the V12 discussion with interest - and if you want to distinguish from tripple-turboed downsized 8s - have a great V12 - tehn at laast everybody knows what to expect in terms of efficiency).
One note: It will be extremlly funny to see how the Maserati PR people will dance the dance, once another Maserati enigen is a "double-turbo" due to technical / environmental requirements. hahaha
Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: William Abraham
Cool Got a poster for you!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (99.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (51.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (94.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 05-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Roberto Puerto
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Abraham View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist.....
I like QPIIIs and that interior is just fabulous but what sort of dreams do you think this is going generate if it's hanging on a young boys bedroom wall?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Roberto Puerto
I understand what you're saying but I think that's all in the past.
Today's Maserati is much more about lots of bling on nicely styled coachwork.
I find the interiors too busy and not elegant enough. Same with Ferrari. It's a phenomena will all cars now. OK not 911s.

They could make this lightweight mid engine car and if it's light enough, has an up to snuff engine/drivetrain in it and is under $150K that might work. Let's face it, they can't shoot for Ferrari or McLaren territory. They don't have their own technology. Maybe an Italian Lotus makes more sense?

Realistically speaking, all of these cars are so GD fast now and for most of us there's no place to drive them to their full capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by licodix View Post
Lot of things said already, just wanted to add three things:

a) Current model range: honestly what we see in the Granturismo is a overweigth GT with a gas guzzler engine. Excuse me, if I see the new BMW 6 series or Jaguar XK - I just ask my self how can it be Maserati is building outdated performance?

b) Today's Maseratis are lightyears away from what actually made the raod cars of the Modenes Trident famouse and legendary: style, sometimes grace but always understatement! Never heard the last word? Well.. This is why I see ever more pseod-racing exhaust notes, mega wheels and other new-rich attributes. BUt o.k., these clientely in Arabia, India, China, Russia - may like it. Still it is not what Maserati is.

c) I can not see any diffferences between De Tomaso era and FIAT; both had great ideas, applied in a "medium" way. De Tomaso helped Maserati to continue and keep it alive - and started producing cars in a bigger scale (today they blaim him for that, but excuse me how many F cars are built every year???) But Fiat is not at all concentrated on the Tident at all. They do everything for Ferrari - but Maserati is about to stagnate.

I bet it all will end up like this under FIAT:
Maserati builds a QP, a fattened Coupe, maybe Cabriolet and a SUV. No Sports cars.

And yes: I am a BIG Maserati fan and owner - and I would love to see this brand up again.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:11 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Hi.

I own a 2012 QP since a short time and a 2004 Spyder CC since a week.

I got some interesting information about future Maseratis from an insider. I did not read all comments here, so please don't be disappointed if it is not new to you.

Maserati will launch a SUV, not sure if Kubang will be its official name (well, this isn't new, I know).

What is more interesting is, the New Quattroporte will come as a diesel (6 cylinders) and they are thinking about 4 cylinders, too.

And YES, there will be a small QP, too. 4 and 6 cylinders (Sorry, i can't stop thinking about the X type)

Maybe I will get more details, but at the moment that should be facts.

Personally I think a SUV and a little QP are a totally stupid idea. They are destroying their history and Image.
Well, we have to wait. But if I have a look at the new QP (Photoshop) Images, I fear what we have to expect.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:46 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jack Verschuur
In order to make an SUV and a small QP viable, they need to make the badge desireble first, and from what I see, they aren't there by a long shot.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquish80 View Post
Hi.

I own a 2012 QP since a short time and a 2004 Spyder CC since a week.

I got some interesting information about future Maseratis from an insider. I did not read all comments here, so please don't be disappointed if it is not new to you.

Maserati will launch a SUV, not sure if Kubang will be its official name (well, this isn't new, I know).

What is more interesting is, the New Quattroporte will come as a diesel (6 cylinders) and they are thinking about 4 cylinders, too.

And YES, there will be a small QP, too. 4 and 6 cylinders (Sorry, i can't stop thinking about the X type)

Maybe I will get more details, but at the moment that should be facts.

Personally I think a SUV and a little QP are a totally stupid idea. They are destroying their history and Image.
Well, we have to wait. But if I have a look at the new QP (Photoshop) Images, I fear what we have to expect.
You are basically right. I know also for sure from someone in the automotive supply industry that "baby QP" and SUV will arrive. If CEO announces 458 based Maser and the car is a real stunner - man, I will buy it!!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Sorry to say it but sports cars and racing will not lead to success for maser. Current path is correct

The gt cars are good for now but will need to keep up with new coupes from mb, bmw, jag, porsche. The suv will be a big hit so thats covered. Next need to focus on a killer top of the line qp. The current one is too old and no longer competitive in the segment.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

well, it depends what you mean by success.

if you want Maserati to become an every day BMW who nobody cares about, then yes you are in the right path to succeed.

which means that you loose the exotic brand name, the uniqueness of the car on the road and the overall "coolness". Sure thing, with 50,000 cars per year, a stupid cheap QP and an idiotic SUV, you've succeeded in ruining the brand!

I dare you to show up with the SUV at a Maserati meeting... and be the clown of the meeting
Old 05-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

By success i mean stay in business. Wouldnt be bad for maser to be an italian alternative to the germans. I feel making exotic sports cars will put them out of business. Leave that to ferrari

Ps. No one laughs at cayenes at a porsche meet