1972 Maserati Boomerang by Italdesign | FerrariChat

1972 Maserati Boomerang by Italdesign

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by au-yt, Mar 30, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #1 au-yt, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
    Classic Driver online magazine are running this article and it prompted me to ask the question of peoples thoughts on this magic one off show car.

Personally I love the design and it still looks as out there to day as it did in 1972

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3200.asp?id=15891

Graeme

2. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Hi Graeme,

I like it, but honestly I don't love it. The wedge was a big thing in car design at that time. If you squint you can see Khamsin in the front end. You can still see the basic wedge aesthetic in today's Lambo's.

To me, more engaging than the exterior is the instrument and controls layout. The steering wheel mounting is a real leap for 1972. I wonder what happens to the arrangement as you spin the wheel from lock to lock?

Carmine

3. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    The front 1/4 view is the best.

My favorite part of that design was the steering wheel and the lower door windows. I feel those two areas still have potential in the future.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #4 Nembo1777, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello all:

As briefly mentioned in the Khamsin thread the Boomerang was best of show at the Montecarlo Concours d'elegance on March 11 ahead of some very, very fine cars such as an Isotta Fraschini, Delahaye, Talbot America, Cord etc etc.

André B. the owner is a major collector from the south of France and he arrived with the car having driven it from Cannes. It is loud: like a Bora Group4!

Here are some photos one of which is of yours truly interviewing him when he got the initial class award.

In 2006 I first met him at Villa d'Este: he had driven it hundreds of kms then too, he says it is not too practical at the toll booths:) wonderful to see it used as opposed to sitting in a mausoleum garage!

There are two period anecdotes about the car I will tell in later posts:)

best regards,

Marc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Miura1960 likes this.
  5. 87-Countach

87-Countach Karting

Oct 12, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Richard
    One of my all time favorite cars!

6. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Thanks Marc

Interesting from what I read the instruments were ment to have an Airbag!?! in 1972.

But the concept from a safety point of view is interesting.

Great looking Car its an event on wheels and for me a more pure design then the Countach sorry guys.

Graeme

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ...which meant if Maserati had gone more in that design-/concept-direction I strongly assumed that the history would have become better.
    And then -as a next step!- the very advanced Chubasco-concept-car. WOW!

But the history became very ordinary with all this strange Biturbo-stuff....

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ah, the Cubasco as envisioned was a Biturbo as was the little Barchetta. But I see your point in the transition from Boomerang to Chubasco at least from a styling perspective. Maybe Guigiaro and Gandini could have worked together on something for Maserati ... :)

I saw the Boomerang many times in Monterey. It was treat to have there though I think it may have been under appreciated at that time.

It's an interesting shape but I'm no fan of that steering wheel concept. A bit too early in concept and crudely carried out. Hey, it was the early 1970's.

As I understand it the car is something of a cook box when it's operated in sunlight.

9. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #9 MK1044, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    +1
    Marc, since you haven't shaved yet, I suppose you're not yet done with your book!
    Being a Bora mechanically, I suppose it's got that peculiar French green liquid flowing all through it?

Bob, No doubt. I'd bet one could could start one's garden vegetables inside it in the early spring.

Graeme, The 3/4 front shot that Marc posted shows another Khamsin styling cue. Notice the long sloping for-and-aft belt line and how the body slopes inward below it.

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Not much of a relationship with the Khamsin. The production version of the Boomerang was the Lotus Esprit.

11. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    what type of chassis Bora?

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    standart version.

13. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    My God... what a hideous car...

Respect to the owner who drives it, I much prefer cars to be driven than sit in a hidden garage waiting for their owner to die before being sold to someone else.

14. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #14 3500 GT, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

MB,...

Don't hold back your opinion,....tell us what you really think!

~Ciao and best!

15. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    :D

just being honest... which is why I recognize that the owner must have big cojones to drive a one-off concept car from the early 70's to events.

16. aps

aps Karting

May 9, 2005
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Antonio
  17. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

+100000000 Chubasco !! The world was not ready I guess! That or Ferrari threatened to Fiat's members of the board to not make the Chubasco.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #18 Nembo1777, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
    Hi Carmine, all:

Am in last few days of text editing it is going to my editor's this week so zee razor comes out this month:)!

Yes it is normal Bora underneath with LHM but as mentioned the exhaust is surprisingly loud.

To be clear it was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro for his own firm Ital Design while the Khamsin was designed by Marcello Gandini for Bertone so the only link between the two is the fact that wedge design was a trend of that era.

Giugiaro had blocked Gandini's hiring at Bertone in the sixties and it is only when Giugiaro walked out that Bertone then asked Gandini once more to join the firm.

As Giugiaro confirmed to me in his interview for the book there was never any question of the Boomerang being put into production, it was purely a design exercise in pushing the boundaries.

Right the two anecdotes: here is the first one.

When I indexed a major and very private Maserati archive in 2006 I found a really amusing black & white shot in it: the Boomerang photographed in the factory courtyard with a pretty model posing for the photographer in front of the car: quintessential Italy 1970's...but what the snapper had not bargained for is just how much of 70's Italy he got into the photo: in the background behind the car you can see the bridge over the adjacent railroad tracks and atop the birdge is a banner: "Vota Communista" it said....so yes all of 70's Italy in one shot, including all the unpleasantness:)!

The owner of the archive won't let his shots be published but you now have the mental picture!

best regards,

Marc

19. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #19 staatsof, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
    It's a neat fantasy but ...

Does anyone really think that Maserati under DeTomaso at the time could have pulled off successfully developing such a car as well as being able to manufacture it? What was accomplished was a wooden mock up and the the Barchetta cup series cars which ARE kind of cool but horribly unsafe as a race car.

What if they had tried to make a limited production run of Boomerangs?

I think it would have conflicted with the effort to be successful with the Bora which wasn't a huge success. Nothing was for them at that time though they eventually did better with the Merak.

I love that story about a photo of the Boomerang at the factory Mark. Interesting that it was allowed?

Damn commies! Where was Joe McCarthy in all of this? :)

20. aps

aps Karting

May 9, 2005
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    #20 aps, Apr 3, 2012
    This photo was taken at the 1973 Bien Aparecida hillclimb. The Boomerang, on Madrid temporary plates, was driven as the zero car by his first owner, a steel industrialist.

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Antonio!

How are you?

before anyone starts thinking the Boomerang raced it must be pointed out that a car with a number zero means it is the course opening car, it is not competing, just doing an honorary opening of the course after it has been closed to traffic and cleared.

Bob not sure what you mean by allowed but the Boomerang spent some time at the factory. I really think the photographer took that photo where the Commie banner is visible by accident but it did not get used in any marketing etc.

best regards,

Marc

22. aps

aps Karting

May 9, 2005
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    #22 aps, Apr 3, 2012
    Hello Marc,
    You're right, the car didn't compete, just opened the race. The owner was accompanied by austrian actress Marisa Mell, as a person who was there thay day has confirmed me.
    Just another photo of the car...

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Marisa Mell beautiful woman who passed from cancer...thanks for the photos Antonio.

The second anecdote I mentioned: when the Boomerang was for a time at the factory Cleto Grandi road tested it then stopped at a café terrace on Via Emilia for a break.

Pandemonium.

Traffic came to a near complete halt, the road (4 lanes total) was in chaos as people in cars, trucks, on foot and on bikes could not believe seeing a spaceship on wheels right there.

Then as if on cue who should happen to drive by but the big boss himself, Guy Malleret who saw this and shaking his head advised Cleto to quickly move on and restore peace and quiet!

best regards,

Marc

24. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #24 GIOTTO, Apr 7, 2012
  25. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008