72 Ghibli...$89,500 | FerrariChat

72 Ghibli...$89,500

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Zedtt, Apr 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  2. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    Is this car really worth $89,500? I hope so, because that means my car is worth more than I paid originally! We'll see...

3. vignalespider

vignalespider Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    CH
    What a euphemism for a neglected piece of gold!

4. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    You mean 29,500.00

Come on if your going to try and sell the sizzle at least park it in a rented barn.

5. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Hm, guys - price indeed is a bit high, but I doubt restoration bases will come for a bargain. We have to acept Ghiblis are on the move - and as everybody knows the prices for spares - solide restoration basis for "over solid" mondey may make sense.

6. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    False- one Ghibli spider does not make the market, example.... the car hasn't sold. IMO that price is for a 90 point car.

7. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #8 MK1044, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    Yep. Lots of what they have for sale is "honest car for light cosmetic restoration". I think their game is to list at double what they paid. So there should be some amount of bargaining room. In any case, they are very entertaining people to do business with. ;-)

Just checked their web site. "One owner from new". That counts pretty big. Don't care for it in gold, though.

It seems to me also that the Ghibli prices are creeping up.

Even so, doing a restoration for the chance of a profit is a big gamble. No point in starting out paying too much money. There'll be plenty of unanticipated expenses along the way.

And there have been a few cars out there that were just way overpriced. Recently there was that wreck of a 1967 Ghibli at BHCC asking $32,000. It's off their web site so I suppose that they've parted it out. If it sold as a complete car, the poor soul who bought it will be around here soon enough asking for advice.

8. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Just the engine rebuild on a Ghibli is 20-30 K

Spare part s are $$$$$

exhaust is 3-5 K
    interior 10K
    Chrome 8K ,big one piece bumpers
    Paint and body 20-30K, rust prone
    Dual gas tanks to clean
    4 webers to rebuild
    dual Bonaldi brake boosters
    dry sump box impossible to clean
    Pray the ZF 325 doesn't need work because there are no parts or spares

your upside down before you know it in a Ghibli .

Buy it done ready to drive and your ahead of the game

9. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Note the MSD ignition box also.

10. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    ...do not forget windows/glasses.
    or break discs...
    or coolers...

BUT: if you have a restored Ghibli it is one of the most beautiful cars in the world. Adorably stylish, fast & desirable as the Daytona or Miura.
    And it will be the same price range once people realise this is one of the few real highclass collectable cars left still underrated - and once the "bad & neglected" cars are all gone.

11. Elliot S.

Elliot S. Rookie

Dec 11, 2011
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Elliot Silber
    I own a Ghibli but due to many factors including market view and collectability a Ghibli will contine to go up I hope, but it will never have the value of a Miura or Daytona.

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yep, I agree totally! The big plus of the Ghibli 4.9 vs. Daytona is the power-steering. But the transaxle-gearbox, the much better suspension and the raw speed makes the Daytona the superior car (although its bakes are horrible)!

13. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Why??? More cars sold in its time - higher price then - the "celebrity car" - at least equally good looks - equal power - superior ride & touring qualities. So please any reason??? And please do not mention the F - superiority; if I look at the production methods back then, all three were equally awful!
    But time will tell - for me the Ghibli is the sleeping beauty of our time

14. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    That has been the question for a long time "Why not Maserati"?

Ferrari has been the bench mark against which all others are measured. Until the last 5 or so years Miura prices were not in the league as a Daytona. Now vintage Lamborghini have equaled or surpassed their equivalent Ferrari models. Has anyone priced 60s Aston Martins lately? They are through the roof.

But Maserati seems stuck at the 1/3rd value of its equivalent Ferrari. As Daytona prices rise so will that of a Ghibli. Maybe one day Maserati will move up to at least 2/3 to 3/4 the value. The Gooding Ghibli Spyder is a start.

15. Frodo

Frodo Karting

Nov 20, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    "Could use a light restoration"...hahahaha!!
    Understatement of the day!

16. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    Th Ghibli is a more elegant car inside and out. I have noted before that there is not a major auction that does not have at least one Daytona spyder or multiple coupes for sale. In my opinion the green Ghibli was one of the first very well done spyders to come up for auction. As more cars have top notch restorations the price will reflect this. The comment about the Miura is right on. If you look at 7 years ago, an SV Miura was selling for 200-250,000. While a Daytona spyder was at 500-600,000. Gary Bobilefs top notch no expense spared restorations are a big part of why the Miura has had such an increase in value. And this is well deserved. The Ghibli will follow suit as the quality of restoration increases.

17. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Maserati falls into no mans land and collectors want a sure thing.

Iso grifo has taken the largest gain. IMO it's because of the good looks reliabilty and low operating cost, demand is at an all time high with cars now going over 300K.

18. Falta125

Falta125 Karting

Mar 11, 2012
    I have 4 Ghibli's in my shop now, 2 are SS's 1 factory spyder and one conversion spyder along with a daytona, all are in restoration. I have also restored 2 S miura's. Out of all these cars's the maserati seems to be the best solidly built car. The engine's are simple,easy enough to work on and the car seems well laid out. I think out of all 3 car's the Ghibli is the one you can get in and drive, the Daytona is next and the Miura would have to stay in the shop, it's the most beautiful of all but just to fragile. That said, the Ghibli is a pain in the ass to restore! I agree that as properly restored one's come up the price will climb. I still remember paying $50.000.00 for a Miura S and wondering if i had made a mistake. The car's in my shop are all owned by very wealthy people, i strongly suspect the price of Ghibli's will explode as soon as the economy recovers and inflation does the same.

19. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan

+1

20. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

The Maserati build quality is good, but the cost of parts is very high and finding them is a pain.

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Is Lamborghini better?

22. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    IMO anyone embarking on a restoration of a majority of the Ghiblis available will need to put much more money into it than the current market value of even the high end cars. It will be up to us as owners of these fantastic cars to affect the long term sales price.

When buying my car i knew I'd be taking it down to bare metal and every single part would be removed. Thats because I didn't feel there were enough decent restored cars on the market to choose from and I wanted the confidence it was done correctly.

Back to my opinion, I think when sentiment of the collector community feels that its not a crap shoot when buying a Ghibli the prices will move up quickly. But as of now I see too many poor examples for sale and I doubt serious money collectors want to be associated with such. When a majority of the resto's are high caliber, like Ferrari's, I'm guessing that will change the game.

23. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Here is another factor to consider:

While the years go by, people will realize that there are no "new" classic Maseratis in existence.

Because the cars coming soon as 30 years old will be Biturbos, which of course are junk and will never be considered anything more than expensive paper weights.

At that point, people will realize that the only classic Maseratis are still those that we have today (the various racers, A6, 3500, Ghibli I, etc). So, the rarity of good cars in existence will be limited to a small selection of models and will force prices to up.

Think about it, even in the next 10+ years, there won't be any good Maseratis to consider as classics. All we have are the junk created by De Tomaso.

So the next real classic will be the 3200GT (AC) sometime after the year 2030 ;)

24. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Wait delete that one, also created by DeTomaso.

Delete "YOUR" Merak as well. Without DeTomaso you probably wouldn't have gotten the sans Citroen version that you now enjoy.