DB9 vs Maserati Granturismo? | FerrariChat

DB9 vs Maserati Granturismo?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by JamesR, Aug 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JamesR

JamesR Rookie

Aug 5, 2004
    Looking at 2008 DB9 vs Granturismo 4.2.

Two very different cars (v12 vs v8), but love their styling.

Anyone owned both?

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Saw a DB9 from 2010 recently and found the build quality much better than with the Maserati.

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I owned three Maserati's including a GT and have spent a lot of time in a DB9 and have looked to buy one a few times. It depends on what you are loking for They are both very nice cars the Maser has real back seats and in my opinion will be easier and less money to maintain. The seats are better in the Aston and for me the driving position and feel is more sporty. I think I would pass on both of them though and get the new Jag XKR-S that thing is addicting.

4. JamesR

JamesR Rookie

Aug 5, 2004
    Thanks. I am surprised to hear that the build quality of DB9 is better. Just by looking at the interior, GT felt much higher quality.

What about as a daily driver? Which one would hold up better in terms of reliability and maintenance?

5. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    The 4.7L Gran Turismo S is a closer match performance-wise.

Another important consideration is that if you prefer a traditional manual gearshift, only the DB9 has that....

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Granturismo has a much more usable back seat if that is important. The DB9 rear seats are really just for people you do not like.

7. ulf rickard

ulf rickard Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf Rickard
    or people without legs

8. Allemano

Allemano Karting

Nov 20, 2011
    :D

9. JamesR

JamesR Rookie

Aug 5, 2004
    Thank you.

How would you compare the two based on reliability? Comparable?

10. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Our local exotic car dealer just acquired 2 Grandtourismo, and some DB9s! I was able to do a little show room comparing, and the GT had more trunk room, but felt a little flimbsy compared to the DB. I hope to test drive them both soon, and will report. For now, I am leaning more toward the DB, although I am more of a Maser guy.
    RF.

11. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I still wondering which car would be better for day to day use. The dealer claimed that the Maser suffered from tire inflation sensor failure, which was some 2-400 dollars a pop. His choice for a cool car was the Bentley GT. Not my cup of tea however.
    RF.

12. JamesR

JamesR Rookie

Aug 5, 2004
    RF - would love to hear how your test drive goes! Thank you.

I just saw a DB9 on the highway and it was just beautiful in motion.

13. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Well I finally got the chance today. Firstly, I must admit that I am a total newby with modern cars. My most modern car is a '67 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, and it was a gift. My '61 Maserati 3500 GT is my next newest, and my '33 Ford hot rod, and '37 Cord, along with my '51 Mercury are my shared daily drivers. I am old school, and hate automatics.
    So I listen to the forums regarding build quality (or lack of) on the GT, and how the AM will out class it. I kinda like the idea of the V-12 also.
    The AM is ready first, and I'm out the lot, scraping the chin on the street as I exit. The thing is like a skate board. I can feel a dime if I roll over it. Perhaps the giant wheels with the O-rings for tires has something to do with it, but it feels like a race car; VERY harsh ride, and a huge lag on the throttle. I like the fit & trim, but I don't like the car. Not as hot off the throttle as I had expected. My old '61 Big Block Ford Galaxie would have smoked it off the line.
    Next up is the '09 Maser Grandtourismo. It already has half the Trident badge busted off of the roof pillar (it's plastic, and glued on). The trunk trim is sagging, the chrome on the trunk is coming off, and the "boot" around the moveable steering column is busted. This car has 8000 miles on it. However, I am instantly more at ease in it, the ride is much more smoother and softer. I did not try the hot rod suspension button, just stayed in Drive, avoided the paddles, and drove sedately. I liked this car. It seemed to have less lag, and got up and went when prodded . I did nail it in a corner, and to me, it felt as if the rear end shifted! But I still liked the car.
    Me thinks I'll stick with my strategy of pre-smog cars, with no electronics though. The new stuff was just too chinsy & tacky. Besides, I get cheaper insurance with my collector car outfit, and I'll never have to deal with smog. Also, if something happens to the car, I can usually figure it out.
    My little bubble of going modern with a super car was shattered today. Of the two, I surprisingly preferred the Maserati, but after seeing the price tag, and the over all quality, I'll stick with my old stuff. My girl friends old Honda car seems to have been built better!
    I'm still kinda shocked over today's experience. Maybe a Bentley will change me?
    RF.

14. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    The Bentley is a fine capable gt for sure. They don't seem to feel as special as the Arnage inside though, and depreciation is hefty. The db9 would be more pricey in terms of maintenance over the Maserati, they are heavy on tyres and brakes, and all but the latest models seem to suffer with electrical maladies, whereas Maserati seem to have finally got the electrics right now....

15. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have 22k on my '09 Granturismo S, and it is my daily driver. I have not experienced any quality issues and feel this car is as well put together as any car I've owned. Furthermore, i would put up with a lot just for the sound it makes!

I really can't imagine driving anything better in looks or performance for similar money.

Best, Paul

16. GregB71E

GregB71E Rookie

Oct 28, 2008
    Ferraribrit:
    Question for you on this whole GranTurismo thing: I am debating adding a non-S to my small stable ( surmise you can figure out what I have already) and really would like to know your experiences with maintenance and reliability. My EType seems to get smaller everyday and I am concerned driving it amongst all the SUVs out there and something modern would be nice to have that I can take out no matter what the weather. My Jag has been very dependable (had it since 1987) and I still love the looks but am looking for something newer to use more often. What can you tell me to expect as far as routine issues and tune-ups, etc.?
    Thanks

17. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    redfred84, sounds like the GranTurismo you looked at was badly used and badly maintained by the previous owner. Other than the cosmetic stuff you didn't mention why you rejected the car.

GregB71E, the GranTurismo is a reliable car, it will have the same problems as any other high-end car, so nothing special there. If you are interested in a daily driver, then get the automatic, because the F1 gearbox needs quite a lot more attention and can let you stranded in the middle of the road. The maintenance is the same as other cars, tires, oils, brakes, etc.

The "non-S" version has a bit less power, so people who are after performance should probably go for the "S" or the "Sport" or if you track your car then the "Stradale" (probably not worth it in the USA, since you guys don't get the real Stradale).

18. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    the car had plenty of zip, and power. In fact, it seemed to really beat the DB9 out of the hole. It was the tire air pressure sensor that was indicated on the dash (which the dealer claimed was a constant problem with these), and the proximity sensor that sounded full-on alerts in our City traffic that drove me nuts. I guess I'm just not a modern car kinda guy.
    RF.

19. chris7469

chris7469 Rookie

May 19, 2006
    I am biased having owned and loved my 04 Maserati coupe since 05. An absolute blast with awesome Tubi sound.

However as a keeper after 8 years and 44,000 miles it was time for another ride. Thought about an Aston no real back seats. Drove an 11 vantage, very rough, small and overly sporty. Could not imagine long or daily drives in it. Next up to please my wife was a 10 Bentley GT. Beautiful big plush well made machine. Drove very well. I am just not a Bentley guy. It did not fit me.

Saved an 11 Maserati GTS for last. Loved the look and the ride on 20 inch rims. It's huge and has perfect big back seats. Found a great deal with the right colors and rims. Only drive it in sports mode. It's such a blast! A perfect grand tourer and match for me.

Plus no clutch to worry about and maintenance is very easy and vey affordable. I am beyond happy with an awesome mix of quality style and performance.

Up soon will be a few performance mods. Overall I the GTS had everything I wanted.

Good luck with our search. CM

20. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    The 2004 CC Maseratis are an awesome sweet sports car.

21. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I have 13,000 miles on my wife's 2009 GTS F1 with no problems - and we have run it hard
    Best value out there for the performance - if you can find an F1

22. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #22 71Satisfaction, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    There is some decent discussion of DB9's on the British forum here on FC, worth peeking over there for a read if you want a bunch of pics and DB9 Owner's impressions.

I am very happy with my 2007 full manual 6-speed DB9. Two back seats are comfy for my kids. Trunk is adequate. I enjoy honing the skills needed to drive one gracefully;
    - The fly-by-wire throttle pedal and tall gearing out of 1st and in Reverse take make it easier than average to stall and take some getting used to.
    - The hood profile is tall, and leaves you wondering what you're going to hit and the proximity alarms are to be heeded.
    - Especially the rear suspension can feel jittery/stiff anywhere below 50mph in temperatures below 60F until warmed up.
    - Check the tires; I discarded the original tires at 38,000 miles and installed new Michelin SuperSports, and it feels significantly smoother.
    - If the AC doesn't work, it's very costly.
    - Coil packs get roasted in the confined engine bay and can go south on you. Check service records if any have been replaced yet.
    - Clutch normally wears out every 30-40k miles. About $6-8k. Check replacement records.
    - The V12 consumes more oil than you think, which is normal. Check the level often.
    - Manual shift can feel chunky until warmed up (rear transaxle).
    - The dash switchgear and functions on pre-'09's are a bit overly complicated.
    - Annual service this spring at the independent shop I use was $1,700 and it makes a difference when everything is tuned up. I bet many DB9's get neglected in this area.

- The styling is superb and I like its lack of hard edges. Very restrained, yet gorgeous.
    - The V12 sounds phenomenal, nice and raspy, redlines somewhere in the stratosphere.
    - I don't experience anything I'd call throttle lag, but the V12 can feel low torque due to the gearing mentioned above.
    - The scent of the Connelly leather and chestnut wood interior alone is worth the purchase price.
    - It's my long-distance driver; I've had no discomfort with it 3-4 hours at a time.
    - It is a very competent performer; the DSC kicks in unobtrusively. I once got distracted and entered a reverse bank turn off throttle at 125mph and was amazed how it pulled the rear end right in and kept me on the track despite my own @#&%$ stupidity. That day I nicknamed him "The Butler" as in: "Might I assist Your Lordship in performing anything stupid today?"

There is a very thorough book on the DB9 for $50, you should get if you're considering one and want to do your homework first. It's dense and packed with highlights of the good and the bad. https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Guide-Gaydon-Aston-Martin/dp/095068256X

I regret not having tried a Maserati GT for comparison before I jumped on my DB9, I bet it would be enlightening. Next time I need a 4-seater I'll try one for sure... heck, I should try one even if I don't need a replacement!

Cheers!
    - Art