Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Other Cars > Maserati

Reply
 
Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-08-2012, 04:36 PM
wbaeumer's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Consultant
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,076
The offer of the day.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...item27caccc470

Oh dear....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bild 4.jpg (35.1 KB, 2651 views)
__________________
Ciao!
Walter
www.internationalMASERATIresearch.com
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 09-08-2012, 05:16 PM
staatsof's Avatar
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hiddin' in NJ
Full Name: Roberto Puerto
Posts: 24,743
Why you do dat?

This isn't almost as depressing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...#ht_500wt_1182
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-08-2012, 05:44 PM
wbaeumer's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Consultant
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by staatsof View Post
Why you do dat?

This isn't almost as depressing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...#ht_500wt_1182
The difference with both cars is that someone started a resto with the Ghibli why the Biturbo (wreck?) seems to be fading away. For sure more worth in parts than as a whole car.....
__________________
Ciao!
Walter
www.internationalMASERATIresearch.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-08-2012, 08:21 PM
staatsof's Avatar
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hiddin' in NJ
Full Name: Roberto Puerto
Posts: 24,743
I find them equally depressing as both cars were left to rot.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 AM
wbaeumer's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Consultant
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by staatsof View Post
I find them equally depressing as both cars were left to rot.

Just my 2 cents.
To see a Ghibli I suffer is indeed depressing.......
__________________
Ciao!
Walter
www.internationalMASERATIresearch.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 AM
judge4re's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Consultant
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Never home
Full Name: Dr. Dumb Ass
Posts: 13,271
My Garage
What is sad is what he wants for the car, it would be better to put a sign on it saying "free to a good home".
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: maltby wa
Full Name: Howard Musolf
Posts: 627
Wink Good News

It appears that this Bi Turbo is one of the few that has not had an engine fire!!!!!!!!!!! The most reliable part of a Bi was engine fires, other than that they were a poor example of a great marque.

Howard Musolf
1981 308gtsi
1982 400i Cabriolet
1994 348 spider
1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 791
Ghibli on eBay

Here's a rather nice looking Ghibli (aside from the wonky turn indicators/side lights) on eBay, up to $70k and not yet met reserve. Do automatics go for a lot less than manual transmission cars?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maser...ht_8678wt_1047
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #9  
Old 09-09-2012, 04:18 PM
MK1044's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Witness Protection
Full Name: Carmine
Posts: 5,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaeumer View Post
Sad to say, that looks like most of the Biturbos I've seen. The seller should take the U$D 200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staatsof View Post
The Ghibli looks do-able for the right guy. Unless a certain dealer in Queens gets to first it and doubles the price.

I wonder what they are looking to get for it? I imagine that if it is complete and nearly original, it's a decent buy close to U$D 30K. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-09-2012, 04:30 PM
wbaeumer's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Consultant
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattroporte3 View Post
Here's a rather nice looking Ghibli (aside from the wonky turn indicators/side lights) on eBay, up to $70k and not yet met reserve. Do automatics go for a lot less than manual transmission cars?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maser...ht_8678wt_1047
Ghibli with autos are significantly less valuable.
__________________
Ciao!
Walter
www.internationalMASERATIresearch.com
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 AM
staatsof's Avatar
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hiddin' in NJ
Full Name: Roberto Puerto
Posts: 24,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0768 View Post
It appears that this Bi Turbo is one of the few that has not had an engine fire!!!!!!!!!!! The most reliable part of a Bi was engine fires, other than that they were a poor example of a great marque.

Howard Musolf
1981 308gtsi
1982 400i Cabriolet
1994 348 spider
1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo
Yeah, Lotus Esprits were such wonderfully reliable cars by comparison.

Did you ever own a Biturbo?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On my way
Full Name: Chad
Posts: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by staatsof View Post
Yeah, Lotus Esprits were such wonderfully reliable cars by comparison.

Did you ever own a Biturbo?
I did.

Mine didn't run enough to catch on fire...happy to get $800 for the eventual rusting heap.

Yes, I contributed to the loss of a Maser....to some that would put me at the top of their list of friends, being a Biturbo and all.

Still, for all its flaws, I loved that car.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central
Full Name: Barchetta Mad Max
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0768 View Post
It appears that this Bi Turbo is one of the few that has not had an engine fire!!!!!!!!!!! The most reliable part of a Bi was engine fires, other than that they were a poor example of a great marque.
Excuse me, but this is nonsense...
All engines need to replace tubes and wires at some point to make sure they do not leak. If for example oil drops on hot turbos - then it catches fire and it is hard to exstinguish this again. But same is true for 208GTS, 288GTO and F40s - I have heard..
Please no children-stories...

Last edited by mseals; 02-25-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 PM
staatsof's Avatar
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hiddin' in NJ
Full Name: Roberto Puerto
Posts: 24,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean Bull View Post
I did.

Mine didn't run enough to catch on fire...happy to get $800 for the eventual rusting heap.

Yes, I contributed to the loss of a Maser....to some that would put me at the top of their list of friends, being a Biturbo and all.

Still, for all its flaws, I loved that car.
The big question. What sort of shape was it in when you bought it?

Most people buy these things really, really cheap and think OH boy a Maserati and it's cheap.

Well no, it's not. Not really.

Sorry about your bad experience.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 PM
MK1044's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Witness Protection
Full Name: Carmine
Posts: 5,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaeumer View Post
Ghibli with autos are significantly less valuable.
Didn't realize that it was an automatic. Keep it. The Ebay bid is already too high.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 PM
MK1044's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Witness Protection
Full Name: Carmine
Posts: 5,948
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by staatsof View Post
Yeah, Lotus Esprits were such wonderfully reliable cars by comparison...
Bob,

Brings to mind the old joke about why the British drink warm beer.
It's because Lucas wires the refrigerators.

Carmine
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #17  
Old 09-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On my way
Full Name: Chad
Posts: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by staatsof View Post
The big question. What sort of shape was it in when you bought it?

Most people buy these things really, really cheap and think OH boy a Maserati and it's cheap.

Well no, it's not. Not really.

Sorry about your bad experience.
It was an '85 carb coupe bought in '95 for $3,750 plus buyers premium (auction) with 41k on it. Condition was not too bad, but had major blow in exhaust, inop parking brake, faulty starter, intermittent electrics, warm a/c, bad clutch slave, and beginnings of rust at the bottom of the doors. eventually sold it on, I think '06, with 51k on it. Less than 1k a year mileage.

But, I was 16 when I bought it (with my own money), and the lesson it taught me at such a young age was worth far more than the overall cost.

Not that I'll abide by that learned lesson...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 791
At least 1 Maserati at this auction, a basket case Mistral with what looks like a QP3 V8.

I suppose one could leave it roofless and restore it as a convertable ;-)

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/event...ture=grouping=
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-13-2012, 04:20 PM
William Abraham's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, UK
Full Name: William Abraham
Posts: 806
OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattroporte3 View Post
At least 1 Maserati at this auction, a basket case Mistral with what looks like a QP3 V8.

I suppose one could leave it roofless and restore it as a convertable ;-)

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/event...ture=grouping=
What happened to it and how did it get in a "collection".
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-13-2012, 07:18 PM
JulianMerak's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Abraham View Post
What happened to it and how did it get in a "collection".
http://www.healthbeatblog.com/2007/11/doc-treats-shei/

A great story about this guy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.