Mighty SHAMAL | FerrariChat

Mighty SHAMAL

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by licodix, Mar 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    #1 licodix, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We have seen comments on this extraordinary car in a couple of threads over the last years - and I took the chance to post an article in Octane magazine from last year - I hope I am not violating their copyrights too much (go and buy a copy... :) )

I think it simply a great car and it would be a shame if it was mistaken to be "a Biturbo on steroids".

In fact it was equal in a comparison test in famous German magazine "sport auto" in its days against the Porsche 964 turbo 3.3.
    If I see the concept of super luxury 2+2 with lots of engine and fun to drive - I am missing these concepts on modern-day cars.

It is great fun with eye watering performance - and if you keep these cars well maintained and use them with brains - they Yes!!! - go for ever.

I had the plesure to compare them with Porsche 928 GTS, 993, Ferrari 348, 355 and 456 - and to my humble oppinion they were early in the 90s at same level - technically, real life performance, interior aso.

I am sure the remaining few in good shape will see a sharp rise in price in the coming years, already they have outperformed some of their peers (348, 928GTS,...)
    Get a good one now and enjoy tons of fun - such a shame it never made its way to the US, what a success this V8 trackster would have had.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Not sure you want to be posting print articles on the internet....luckily, in your defense..the type is just about impossible to read. :)

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah I wish it had made here as well. It's a really interesting looking car.
    Brutal to maintain now though. Like all the dual overhead cam Maseratis of that era the valve adjustment and chain swap at the rear of the heads is an engine out job. I've done it several times now.

The 2.0L V6 Ghibli Cup cars were actually faster and handled better but in many ways this was their progenitor and though Gandini had a hand in the design of both he went much further with Shamal's body design IMHO. The valvetrain is a little different in the V8 though so maybe just adjustments are easier? This engine got modified a bit by Ferrari and ended up in the 3200GT with 390HP. Folks seem to really those cars as well.

There's an active tuner group in Japan that runs these cars up 500HP!

I hope they do something about that tail happy rear end too.

4. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The Shamal engine in a mid-engined chassis would have been a real competitor (Chubasco concept). That's the only part of this car I'm somewhat partial to.

5. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    That is why I recommended the magazine... ;-)
    Enjoy the reading...

6. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    I have my car at Candini workshop and he manages to do everything engine in.
    As I said: even a twenty year old V8 double turbo Maser can be used normally (as most of the V6 biturbos could - if you do it right; e.g. we have a 2.8l 3v with 100.000kms in a first hand Spyder - all ever done was regular service - at the right shops).

Treat it nicely and they are pretty normal to run - or is there a 90s F car engine doing 100.000kms without major (and I mean major!) services?

But the Shamal is not just about its fantastic engine - it is the concept of luxury combined with brutal force - hard to fine elsewhere those days

7. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Wonderful cars! I have always loved them. They are brutal, a kick in the pants! = Very, very fun to drive.

8. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    yeah yeah blah blah.. the best car in the world... etc etc...

so why not get back to reality and state some truths about these cars.. and really explain why they cost peanuts:

Built quality: badly built, badly assembled, low quality junk. Yeah, custom made, as in "the door will fall off". Ok so there are other brands with bad quality cars, but remember this was built in the early 90's... with the quality of a 70's car.

Engine: sure, its powerful, but too powerful. Who wants a car that will eat its own internals? it will eat differentials for breakfast. How about reliability? sure you can do 100,000km but only if you drive at slow or moderate speeds like an old lady. Anything faster will get you damaged turbos, damaged headgaskets, damaged covers, etc.

Handling: you wouldn't call it a predictable car would you? Not exactly the road handling you'd expect from such a powerful engine. No wonder they always drive sideways... ;)

Maintenance: hmm probably twice as much maintenance as any other car I've ever seen. Not exactly ideal on these cars that even farting will require an engine-out job. You sneezed?? engine out!

Lets not do it like those classic car magazines... mentioning all the good things, hiding all the bad things and once you reach the end of the article... oh by the way, the car featured is for sale.... what a surprise.

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Has he changed the rear chains and re-timed all the cams yet?
    I haven't done the V8 in a Shamal, DAMN IT! :), but you're asking for big trouble with the V6 engine when it's in Ghibli II. Just no room to work from the rear where all the timing is accomplished an some nuts need to get a lot torque.

I almost put the QPIV V8 in my Ghibli Open Cup car but talked myself out of it.
    Less HP, more torque and more weight further out front. Seemed like a bad idea?

I also service my own 84 now with 62K miles on it, owned since new.
    The usual stuff wears out and with that one after two sets of turbos I went water cooled. Everything is fine now.

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    At it again I see ... you do like to exaggerate and get dramatic about them don't you?

Did a wild pack of Biturbos gang rape your sister or something ... ;)

Shamals aren't worth just peanuts. Garden variety Biturbos and those in bad condition are though.

I agree with the handling about the Shamal though I've only ridden in one back in 1994. But that has been the knock on that car.

They're a rare vintage car now. Do I think they handle as well as 355? No but so what they're still cool.

Ferrari's break a lot and are expensive to repair too.

The later style ZF lsd that was used in the Ghibli IIs might improve the Shamal a bit.

It works really well in my GOC.

BTW, sell your Ghibli II yet?

11. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    So telling the truth, means your've had your sister gang raped? Or was that a threat? :)

No haven't sold my Ghibli, and I don't intend to, haven't ever sold any of my cars and I don't buy them to sell them later for profit.

But even if I wanted to sell one, I wouldn't lie about its shortcomings and I wouldn't ask my friends to write magazine articles about it, so I can boost its resale value.

12. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Sorry man, you fell out of time...
    We have heard this blabla on Maser bad build quality so many time as Mr. Bush said Iraq had w o m d ...
    Hm- price for same generation F456 - originally twice the retail price - below good Shamals.
    Prices for F348s - 20% on original retail of Shamal - same value now as a three year old Hyundai.. Market decides on swarm inteligence.
    Sorry, but I can not hear this stuff no more...

13. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer

Thank you for your valued opinion,....we care.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's a pretty strong accusation. Can you back that up?

15. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    I daily drove a low miles 228, didn't beat it in the city, just drove it. Took a copuple longer road trips, it at the diff-theory at the time was the heat coming off the turbos cooked the lube that was at less than 20k miles, it at the 65 amp alternators-all the fans, FI etc etc-and the same power alt as a 79 FIAT spider-third one to go in was a 120 amp delco, then it survived. You could watch the volt meter ready lower by the day as the alts burned up runninga t fu;; capacity 100% of the time. it burned relays so regularly I carried them in the glove box. The AC control unit failed, Turning full lock left to right as when parking caused the steering gear to "bench press" the entire front end up and down a bit. Geometry problem. This required a new rack and twice changing all the tie rod ends, of which it had 6, not 4 : ) fuel pump wiring failed at 10k miles. I sold it at less than 20k miles, having bought it with 8k on it. The warrantee company HATED me, my mechanic hated the warantee comapny . It was gorgeous isnide and out, I loved it when it was right, hated it as it constantly failed, which was often.

Wished I could have had a Shamal but that era Maser was under developed, and poorly build and very unreliable. Still like them though and I loved the turbo rumble when I started it in the morning to drive to work : )

16. Claudiom

Claudiom Rookie

Feb 15, 2011
    Germany
    Having looked for a good Merak at reasonable prices for over one year now and finding only overpriced junk, I have extended my search to a Shamal which is a car I also always wanted to have. This particular example was quoted to me by the seller at about the price of two F348s... I thanked him, indicating that for that price I would prefer to get a low mileage Testarossa (and keep some change for the bills too...).

I don't know if the owner knows whoever has written the article, but saying in the article that the price will climb to €120 to 150k within 5 years and trying to sell it shortly after at a fully unreasonable price smells to me of a speculator trying to artificially push prices up to make a quick buck. There are three Shamals for sale in Germany at €40k, guess what, they have been there for a long while. These cars will always be somewhat connected to Biturbos but even more to Ghibli IIs, and if Ghiblis sell for €15-20k, I would be surprised to see someone paying double for an admittedly rarer but flawed car. Their prices should correlate to F348s and F355 too, and if I didn't need a back seat I know which one I would probably choose.

17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh I think the 355 is probably a much better handling car but the that TR is going to cost a fortune when it's engine out time for belts or worse an exploded diff. The 355 is a nice looking and great sounding car. It will be expensive to maintain too.

The truth is that Ferrari's and Maserati's are both expensive to maintain. Expecting BMW, Audi, Mercedes or Volvo like reliability and maintenance expense is not realistic.
    Ferraris get much more a "pass" on this issue though.

I think the Ghibli II Cup is probably a better all around car than the Shamal but that's not really the reason people are buying older exotic cars. They don't drive them that much either.

I look at some of the cars that are 30-40 years old and are being NOW hailed as fantastic and I just howl laughing.

I haven't read the article so I won't comment on it.

18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ++++1!!

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Can`t agree more!
    I once drove a Shamal on the circuit of Spa-Francochamps. It was one of the most frightening moments in my life!

The car is too soft in the suspension at higher speeds and I had the general impression that the entire car was underdeveloped. Bouncing from one side to the other and getting the differential do what you want was a challenge in itself...

But I must admit - I liked the engine....:)

20. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Walter,
    maybe you had too much Lambrusco that day? :) :)
    ;-)
    Frightening can be thrilling, too.
    And don't we all miss the exciting cars of the past?

My most frightening experiences in automotive life: try to break with a testarossa from high speeds - and drive fast bends in a 348TS.. bbrrrrr....

21. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I am not from the fainted heart - but driving at Spa with a car like that one was ...eh...rather "special".

23. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Something wrong with that particular car, perhaps? I haven't driven a Shamal myself, but I remember there was a very nice one at the 2010 Maserati International Meeting in Sweden; driven by a father and son from Italy. They drove it quite a lot around the Ring Knutstorp circuit during our track day there. Their car looked very well behaved, at least to me... But, perhaps they weren't trying all that hard?

24. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Has anyone ever done a complete restoration on Shamal?

I know of one that got a beautiful red to blue color change and some mechanical work but a nut and bolt restoration to a standard never offered by the Factory? You know, just like what's happening to the more currently desirable vintage Maserati's now. They never looked that good from the factory.

I doubt it because no one will pay what that would cost if you want to resell.

So I think you'll continue to see the current low to mid 40's euros for this car for some time. I think that's pretty good if one is being realistic about things.

I bet that car would awesomely better with real active suspension control and an Ediff.

Maybe just a new LSD?

25. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    That black Shamal from Italy had a modified suspension!