Ghibli - Color question | FerrariChat

Ghibli - Color question

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by fgsavoia, May 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fgsavoia

fgsavoia Karting

Jul 2, 2011
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Francesco
    Hello Guys,

I just bought an early 1967 Ghibli Coupé, now painted in red.
    I had the "birth" certificate from Maserati Classiche and I found out that the original color is "Avorio Santa Anita" (Salchi code 20Y306): I checked the official color list and I didn't find anything about it.
    I suppose that it was a special order color: I saw some Fulvia Zagato painted in such color, but never saw a photo of a Ghibli in that color.
    Anyone has some photo of a Ghibli painted in that color?

2. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi There is a paint code and some examples on the Lancasti Community site. It seems it is a Zagato used paint and seems to be a fairly pleasant shade of yellow. If you google Avorio Santa Anita you should find it. I will post the paint code details shortly. As you car was not originally red you can now get rid of it even if you choose not to go back to yellow. From Lancasti:

"Re: Zagato Paint Code
    You'll probably find it easier to locate a paint shop that handles Glasurit, and Avorio Santa Anita is Glasurit LAN 198.

Avorio Santa Anita was a very popular color for the Fulvia Sport, particularly S1s, and it looks good on the car IMHO. In any case, it's hard to go wrong painting a car in its original color."

3. fgsavoia

fgsavoia Karting

Jul 2, 2011
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Francesco
    Thanks William,

I watched the photo on Lancisti forum and I was so wondering how the Ghibli could be painted in that shade.
    I don't like red at all, especially on Ghibli, so it will go. I was initially oriented to paint the car in Celeste Chiaro but, as I saw that the original color seems very rare, I'm struggling in taking a decision.
    I suppose that I will hardly found a photo of a Ghibli painted in such color....

4. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #4 William Abraham, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Someone more adept with computers than I could probably show a mock up of the colour on the car. Glad it will not be red but not sure about the mustardy yellow? Perhaps you could post some photos of the car in due course.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. fgsavoia

fgsavoia Karting

Jul 2, 2011
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Francesco
    I'll do it. The trouble with the paint colors is that you'll never have a proper idea about how they look until you spray them on the car.

However, I'll post some photos of the car as is now and during the job.

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Seems to be very similar to Jaguar's primrose yellow. Very popular late 60s and early 70s color.
    I am also going through color selection for my Ghibli and it is not an easy process, especially when the original color is not one I really like.

Ivan

7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Ivan,
    I was at the Reading Ferrari Concours and there was a 330 GTS in a Gold shade with a Dk Blue Top and Blue Interior. It looked spectacular.

8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I think I saw this 330GTS at Cavallino. Let's face it, almost any color can be made to look good when the paint and body work is excellent. I think the only exception is the ridiculous "bass boat" paint job on the Miura spyder that was shown at Amelia. Sometimes originality does not equate to good taste.

Ivan

9. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    That sounds terrible. Please post a photo or a link to one.

10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #10 staatsof, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
    Well on this we disagree and agree. I nearly purchased the S1 Espada painted in that same exact color and while I wouldn't paint a car like the Ghibli in such a color on the Miura spider and that one off glass roofed Espada it works.

However, that Espada also came from the factory with 3/4" pile light blue shag carpet sans any edge binding. That carpet was so deep I even discovered one of Princess Grace's long lost false eyelashes in there ... ;)

Now THAT just didn't work and looked so unfinished as well but it was original. Thankfully the new owners put regular style carpeting in that car.

Frank Sinatra's Miura was rumored to have shag carpet as well. That car was just at the Lamborghini Giro. I wonder if it had shag?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_845/car_photo_422635_25.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/front_website/gallery.php?id%3D422635&h=600&w=900&sz=113&tbnid=K7jGVYpXL-5JVM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=134&zoom=1&usg=__DqF9mfybL_HmMnZLFMuECoEVyAM=&docid=dQvF5OxzOsdnWM&sa=X&ei=i5WjUb3JKcfD4AON3IHICQ&ved=0CDsQ9QEwBA&dur=119

I'll post some pictures of the Espada later Carmine. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/137581137-post48.html

11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The Miura spider looks okay in the photos ... in real life, not so much. Have you seen the car in the sunlight? I'm not kidding when I say bass boat.

One thing we will definitely agree is that the cars from Sant Agata have sported some of the most outrageous (and some would say ... tasteless) color combinations ever conceived.

Ivan

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I know, it's huge metal flake and very thick paint.
    I spent a fair amount of time around the Espada so I did see it out in the sunlight.
    That's one resaon I was a bit hesitant on the Espada though there plenty bigger reasons as well. That Espada needed two small but what I thought difficult paint repairs. Otherwise the paint was near flawless which was amazing.

I'm not a fan of all the color combos I've seen either but then this car wasn't meant for a conservative and tasteful look. In it's Zinc guise it wasn't much to look at frankly. I saw that version in person.

Green with blue doesn't usually do it for meant but this car, Ghibli II Primatist, I really like go figure?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ghibli+primatist&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=oLijUfbnFNLI4APUyIDAAQ&ved=0CC8QsAQ

13. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Wow, I think the Miura spider looks fantastic in its outlandish paint. It is what it is: A show car from the late 60's/early 70's. I love it. I think Bob's Espada is also quite stunning.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't think Ivan was being critical of my Espada's color.

Hey, it's OK not to like that Bass Boat paint job. Ferruccio was certainly no Henry Ford ... ;)

15. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I would never criticize Bob Espada's paint job :)

Ivan

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    LOL :D

17. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    It was fine until it was involved in the drive by.

18. fgsavoia

fgsavoia Karting

Jul 2, 2011
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Francesco
    #18 fgsavoia, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    And...baby's at home, needing some cares....

The front grill, turn lights and center badge have been removed but are with the car. This car was built on 28 february, 1967.
    Interiors are almost perfect; the odometer indicates 33k miles, which, watching the interiors, I believe they are true.
    However, much work is needed here to make her shine again.

19. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    You will make her shine :)

What color did you decide to paint the car?

Ivan

20. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Looks beautiful!
    Nice to have your Ghibli home...mines in storage about a km away from my house until I sell my Merak. I must get a photo of them together before its sold

Congrats on buying what I think is the purest looking Ghibli ( they are all stunning anyway )

Julian

21. fgsavoia

fgsavoia Karting

Jul 2, 2011
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Francesco
    The only thing I know for sure so far is that the resale-red will go; however I'm pretty oriented in paint her in the original color.

Thank you Julian, I would have also ear the engine but there are some wiring issues in the engine bay and yesterday the mechanic was not very oriented in working on saturday evening too.....so we'll wait to the next week.

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I smell a user id change ... JulianGhibli?

23. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Yes, might have to think about that if I get a buyer!

24. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Is this anything like getting a tattoo removed after breaking up with a "life long soul mate"?

25. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

I think so....as long as the lawyers aren't involved.....