Tire Time | FerrariChat

Tire Time

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by redfred84, Jul 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I realize that this may be a continuation of an on-going thread. But I suddenly need 2 new tires, as I've managed to wear a pair out on my 3500 GT. I currently have the Allstates, which I was never really happy with. Now, I find out that they are no longer manufactured.
    I remember the discussions of Michelin, Pirelli, but now I've discovered Blockley. I try and use my car a lot, and wear is a big factor. Any opinions, suggestions, or first hand experience with the Blockleys?
    Thanks, RF.

2. ch2056

ch2056 Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel
  3. Volante 43

Volante 43 Karting

Nov 8, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rudolf J Visser
    #3 Volante 43, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Vredestein's are good tires, but has always this issue.
    You better try Pirelli Cinturato (made in Turkey ?? ) or Dunlop Racing 600*16 R5

Cheers Rudy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    Fred- The tire you want is the Pirrelli Centurato CN 72, these are the tire that would
    have been specified on the later 3500 GTs. The tire is now being re manufactured.
    Check with Coker Classic Tires. on the web

John

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Lucas has the Pirelli 185 x 16.

185VR16 Pirelli Cinturato CA67

I think the CN72 was a later tire used on the 205 x 15 etc. I might be wrong.

Ivan

6. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I have the Vredestein's on my Mitchell 3500 and they drive and feel very good. But for a few dollars more you can get original equipment Pirellis 185 VR 16's at Lucas Tire.
    I went with the Pirellis for the Latina and will use the Pirellis on my other two 3500's.
    My vote, Pirellis.
    Ciao,
    FGM

7. cwcmaser

cwcmaser Karting

Nov 8, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Full Name:
    Colin W. Craig
    I highly recommend Longstone Classic Tyres in the UK. Prices are competitive (better delivered prices than Coker Tire from my experience) - delivery by postal service within one week - with no issues. I just recently bought tires for my Indy 4200 (correct Michelin XWX 205 VR 14; and my Bora - Michelin XWX 205/70 VR 15 (front) and Michelin XWX 215/70 VR 15 (rear) - check the factory website re 4900 series Bora - they do list the different tire sizes front and rear; whereas the 4700 series are 215/70 VR 15 all around.

Vintage Tyres
    excellent website

Regards,
    Colin

8. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    Interesting to read all the different recommendations.

Still wondering which tires to get for my Mexico with Borranis.
    Longstone is offering the original Cinturatos for a price.
    Was planning to get the Vredestein Sprint classics for half the price.
    Are the Cinturatos worth the investment?

My Indy is currently on 215/65 regular tires which are way too small in diameter so it sits too low and i have to be very careful driving it without hitting the road.
    Want to switch to 205/70 VR15 Vredestein on Ghibli wheels or is there a better option?

Are the XWX superior?

Recommendations are very welcome
    Thanks

9. vignalespider

vignalespider Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    CH
    I have Avons 205/70 R15 on my 1969 Mexico 4.2 with Borrani RW4121 central lock. They are good, not superb. I used to drive Michelin XWX 205/50 VR15, until they were too old. I can recommend both. I also use Pirelli P4000 on other cars. Good tyres at a reasonable price.

I am disappointed, though, of the Pirelli Cinturatos 185VR15, that I put on my Mistral Spyder last year and bought from Longstone (after I had to wait fro some months due to production delays). They are far too soft on the flanks. I miss my old Avon Supersports 185R16 which I had to replace. I opted for more originality for the price of deteriorated handling.
    Your call.

Best, P

10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The 215/65-15 is 0.3" smaller in diameter than the 205/70-15 so that's a whopping 0.15" lower to the ground.

Maybe your scraping is due to something else?
    But I know what you mean about Indys being low. I drove one last year and had to get it up on a lift. That wasn't so easy to do.

11. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    think i will go for the 215/70 Vredestein Sprint classic. From what i´ve heard they have a very good handling and are the least expensive option as well. Guess with the slightly larger size they might fill out the space quite well.
    I shall report once i have tested them

12. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Thought I'd chime in on what I eventually did to solve my worn tire situation. I was all set to get some new Vredesteins from my local tire guy, as I am more interested in tire performance, and longer wear life than on being original, at least with my particular 3500 GT. My tire guy actually sourced some lightly used Avons! We got them mounted up yesterday, and on the short ride home they seemed to be much of an improvement to my old Allstates. The car doesn't seem "wiggley" anymore, nor does it want to wash out as easy, eager to slide the rear end out on any sudden moves.
    Thanks for all the input on all of this from everyone.
    RF.

13. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Anyone know of a good tyre supplier in Australia with access to these tyres?

Vredestein classic 215/70 R15
    Michelin XWX 215/70 R15
    or preferably 205VR15 Pirelli Centurato
    Its for a 1968 Ghibli so the Pirelli is correct but the car is currently on cheapo 215/70 R15's

The current prices I have are $796 per tyre for the Michelin
    and the Vredestein classic 215/70R15 at $504

Longstone tyres are quoting $1500 to ship 4 tyres

The car has many needs so I'd rather not spend all this years budget all on tyres!!

14. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Hey Julian,

wouldn't it make more sense to get new tyres last, if you have a lot of other things needing to be done? That way they'll be fresh and ready for years of use, instead of sitting with the car while you take care of all the other issues.

Unless you'll be using the car as you restore it, in which case I understand completely! :)

15. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

I was hoping to sort out the sills and leave the rest scruffy for a few years until I found a large pot of cash
    Julian

16. fidjeland

fidjeland Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jan Fidjeland
    Hello Marcel,
    I have recently bought a Sebring Series II in Holland. I also rides on Vredesstein Sprint Classic tires. They are good and look nice apart from the fact that the side faces of the tires are very uneven. Are you posibly one of the earlier owners of my sebring, a Marcel living in the Netherlands? Sebring AM101/S*10.269*
    Kind regards,
    Jan

17. fidjeland

fidjeland Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jan Fidjeland
    Hello Rudy,
    I presume by "issue" you mean the uneven side surfaces of the Vredesstein classic tires?
    My mechanic was very worried when he saw these "bums", said the tires must be made in China and could cause problems.He strongly recommended replacing them with Pirellis. Reading you I suppose that these uneven surfaces do not reduce the performance/safety of the tire.
    Kind regards,
    Jan
    Sebring AM101/S*10.269*

18. David Z.

David Z. Rookie

May 29, 2011
    Hi Julian

I have Michelins on my car & I find the ride & look as close to original available today, @ $375 Aussie each they are a bargain, I suggest you import 2 at separate times to cut down on our import taxes,

Regards

David Z

1968 - AM 115 - 344.

19. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Thanks David,

Where are they that price ?
    Longstone have XWX at 299 pounds each and add delivery to Australia and they are asking £1,074.00 for one

I could order a set of real cheapies without the speed rating!

Julian

20. fidjeland

fidjeland Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jan Fidjeland
    I meant "bumps" of course, i.e. unevenness of sidewall surfaces.
    /Jan

21. Volante 43

Volante 43 Karting

Nov 8, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rudolf J Visser
    #21 Volante 43, Aug 15, 2013
    Those Vredestein tires were on my DB2 a few years ago, but I could not live with the "bumps" on the sides, so I've sold them to the previous owner of your Sebring !
    Now I have Dunlop race/road tires 185x16 on my DB2 they are perfect !

On my Sebring 1 I've Pirelli Cinturato's just for the correct look !!

22. fidjeland

fidjeland Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jan Fidjeland
    Hello Rudy,
    Thank you so much for your answer. So.. you sold the Vredesteins to the previous owner of my Series II ...and he could live with them? My Maserati mechanic thought they looked awful and doubted whether they actually were safe to use. I think they are but the bumps are not possible for me to live with in the long run. I will replace the with Pirellis.
    Your Sebring Series I looks very nice by the way.
    Do you know anything about the previous history of my car in Holland?# 269. You can reach me om my e-mail :[email protected] if/when you have time.
    Kind regards,
    Jan

23. Volante 43

Volante 43 Karting

Nov 8, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rudolf J Visser
    #23 Volante 43, Aug 15, 2013
    Perhaps I have a picture with our cars together !

24. fidjeland

fidjeland Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jan Fidjeland
    Nice.. looking forward to seeing that/those photos.
    Again my compliments on your very nice red Series 1
    Kind regards,
    Jan

25. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal