Why do the Ghiblis worth 4 times less than Daytona, Iso Grifo, and Bizzarini ? | FerrariChat

Why do the Ghiblis worth 4 times less than Daytona, Iso Grifo, and Bizzarini ?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by PogueMahone, Sep 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PogueMahone

PogueMahone Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    Any idea ?

Thx .

2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Because it is a Maserati.

Ivan

3. PogueMahone

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    It's not an answer !!!

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Supply/Demand

via rubber ducky

5. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    IMO there are too many lackluster Ghibli's on the market. Serious collectors wont want to be associated with them until a majority of the cars are of a decent quality and sorted out.

Again, just my opinion.

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    yyyyyyyyyyep! +++++1

7. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Glad you agree....

Unfortunately this scenario probably won't change soon due to the fact that to properly restore a Ghibli you'll more than likely be upside down when you're complete.

So we'll probably see the same crappy Ghibli's changing hands until some other dynamic changes and it becomes worthwhile to invest in one thoroughly.

Maybe the release the the new model? If sales gain traction possibly, but I'm not holding my breath.

More baseless opinion :)

8. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

A theory, but you can say the same thing about Astons and Lamborghini GT cars, and the values on those cars are on a pare with competitive model Ferraris.

Ask anyone involved in the collector car world to explain the values of Aston Martins and they will just shake their head in wonderment saying I have no idea.

60s Astons and Maseratis are very similar spec cars with race bred inline 6 motors, coach built bodies in limited numbers, yet the difference in the market is night and day.

9. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Is that really the case when considering the proportion of sorted and unsorted cars? My perception was that most cars I see for sale from either of those manufacturers are in decent shape.

Also, I thought the production on the Lamborghini GT cars was very limited. Beautiful cars I might add.

10. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Actually it is. Let me quote something that Road and Track printed:

"In the last decade the Maserati trident has been largely overshadowed by the Ferrari prancing horse. The situation has come about through financial trouble at Maserati combined with the very comprehensive racing program pursued by Ferrari."

Those words were printed in April 1968. Since then not much has changed. Shortly after these words were printed Maserati was "rescued" by Citroen, then came DeTomaso with the Biturbo, and now we are moving into the era of volume production with the affordable 4 door sedan and the SUV.

I think the original Ghibli was a superb car. Unfortunately the Maserati brand has been mismanaged though the years and this affects the values of the cars. I am still hopeful that one day Maseratis will received the recognition they deserve. I've been collecting them for over 30 years, and I am still waiting.

Ivan

11. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Ghibli's get little respect because:

1. The wrong badge is on the nose.

2. The Biturbo era in the Company's history damaged the perception of all Maseratis in the eyes of the casual observer.

3. A lack of "good" quality Ghiblis so people can see how great the cars can be.

4. No competition linage. In spite of what you read and hear, the Ghibli engine has NO RELATION to the 450S engine. The ONLY thing similiar between the two motors is that they are V-8"s. I have had both apart.

5. Maserati has not had good "club support" throughout much of its history. Yes, Frank Mandarano made great efforts after about 1982, but overall, no great clearing house to build enthusiam.

6. It doesn't sound as good as a V-12.

Aston's took off in value about 4-5 years ago after the Arabs discovered them and started buying anything that was available.

Ghibli's are great cars, my SS drives better than my Daytona, but not as good as my Grifo.

12. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Most of the cars have NOT kept up with inflation, such as the Mistrals, Mexico's, Indy's, Khamsins, Boras, Meraks to name a few.
    These cars (in perfect condition) are still well under 100K just like they were 20 years ago.

The Spyders and early Weber 3500's seem to be some what of an exception along with the genuine ( i mean really genuine not converted ) Euro 4.9 Ghiblis and Boras.

Why? I Know I will take some heat here so let it rip, but IMHO if the above cars had V12's the prices would be triple. Those 12Cyc cars make a sound so intoxicating.
    Yea, Yea I know you will shout back, but look at the Astons and Lamborghinis and they are half the price as well except for a few models. Maybe it is that racing thing.
    I also agree with the quality of restoration being, on balance, very poor.
    Ciao,
    FGM

13. finlandese

finlandese Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    Well, concidering the price point of new Maseratis compared to Ferraris, isn´t the current market situation a reflection of that dynamic, rather than what happened during the sixties?

14. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    5,500 rpm redline makes them seem unsophisticated.

Beautiful body though.

Maybe the original coupes will be worth more when most have been converted to spyders.

15. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #15 William Abraham, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    I agree with this for my 0.02 euro cent's worth. There were some interesting cars during the bad years but a lot of brand dilution). Hard to find a comparable to the 228 in the Aston Martin range. I am looking for a Ghibli although waiting for funds so I have been watching the cars that come up. Scary botches on some of them. I would only buy from or through a total brand expert and pay the extra. Lets hope I can buy before the market catches on and the bad ones are all fixed!

16. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Supply.....They only made so many of them.....the cars that pop into my head are the Dino 246 and the Lancia Stratos. I'd love to come across a 'lackluster' example of either one of these right now. And they have Fiat engines!

17. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    By the way.....I'll gladly take those Fiat engines

18. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Generally speaking all those comments about Maserati are undeniable

I may be deluded but I think the Ghibli would be worth much more if the examples that came up for sale were of a consistent higher quality than what is routinely seen.

Of course better cars bring more money but I think at that point the cars would then soar exponentially because they're too damn beautiful for collectors to ignore!!

Not Ferrari money, but I think the disparity wouldn't be so wide.

19. PogueMahone

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    Very detailed and full of sense.

However, I still have no comment on the gap with Iso and Bizzarini...

V 12 ? Race cars ? Kown badges ?

When I see that a BIzzarini Europa (4cyl. Opel 1,9L engine...) worths pore than a Ghibli...

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    OK - What reason do YOU think there is?

21. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh I think the Maser V8 is a nice engine to listen to as well. It's certainly a better performing engine than the early Lambo V12. It's not as heavy stressed but there's no denying that Maserati prices with some notable exceptions are just laggards. Before the Khmansin/Bora/Merak era they were all live axle leaf spring too. The Ghibli is a gorgeous body style but there's nothing mechanically remarkable about it. The drive in that or a an Indy compared to my is Espada is a big difference. The Maserati's are better built.

When you nail that Lambo V12 through a tunnel it's another level of aural experience even if my Biturbo would blow the doors off of it.

At this point it's all about the mystique and how that's been managed and built over the years. Ferrari is the marque to aim for when it comes to brand & image management. Lamborghini has been horribly managed until Audi arrived and then the Miura's took off, with some persistent help form certain quarters. Now 350/400GTs are going nuts and even my Espada is appreciating much faster than my Bora.

As Frank alluded to my Bora was worth a lot more in 1990-91 that it could ever hope to be right now. It's a hell of a real car whereas the Miura is a very, very beautiful attempt at a car but ends up as a toy at best. The cars had two very different purposes at the time but just look at the horror story that is a Miura restoration these days. I had my choice at the time and from an appreciation standpoint boy did I screw up. But I never could have done what I did with that Bora if it had been a Miura. The Miura is still the most gorgeous mid engine car ever built and that plus it was arguably thee first is why people have gone somewhat gaga over it.

Now about the restoration thing. This has gone completely nuts and so most Ferrari's, high end Lambos plus the early Maserati's when restored look nothing like they did originally. They haven't been restored. They've been re-manufactured to a much higher standard and that costs a lot of money to do. The more people do that for those models naturally the values get dragged up and those are those cars people want to have.

Once the investment types get involved it gets even more nuts and the cars don't get driven by and large. Kind of sad.

Ah the mystery of it all ...

So when does the bubble burst? :)

-K1- likes this.
  22. PogueMahone

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    Was just wondering !!!

For Ferrari, we are all OK, even if the gap may occur as very important, but the 2 others ???

23. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    The laggard examples will catch up.....and the maintained 'unrestored' examples will look even better at that point. They only made so many! Heck, I wish I could get a stratos for F car money now!

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Buy what you like...why care about anyone else?

25. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Bobby boy you are so right. "So when does the bubble burst?"

We are living from auction to auction. Next up Scottsdale. If all goes well, the beat goes on.
    If not, watch out! Everyone will be heading for the door, chasing a declining market.

Agree buy what you like and enjoy it.
    FGM