100th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS | FerrariChat

100th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Nembo1777, Sep 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #1 Nembo1777, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    Hello all,

After much suspense the announcement finally came during the gala dinner at the International meeting in Switzerland this past weekend.

The factory announced that the 100th anniversary celebrations would take place in Modena the weekend of September 19 to 21, 2014.

The lady officially in charge of the event -Arpita Pandya who has been working at Maserati for a number of years now- was quite a tease: about two hundred people were tapping their glasses to get her to reveal the information:) because she would not give any more details but she promised more information will come in the coming months.

The general feeling, having spoken to the club directors of half a dozen European countries in attendance (France, Sweden, UK, Holland, Italy, Switzerland etc is that there will be a number of special events taking place in each country with the culmination of the Modena event.

So more information to come but at least you have the main dates.

I hope many of our American friends come across the pond to the old world with their cars, if you don't do it next year you will regret it afterwards, this should be very special and you can take in several events.

Best regards,

Marc

2. Arakis36

Arakis36 Karting

Jul 27, 2007
    Thanks Marc for the info, I just knew the location before it was announced, but did not know the dates as I did not attend the gala dinner... Anyways, I agree it was an amazing event, well organized, great job by Peter Straub and Carlotta Wenger and am already getting excited for the next one, this one is a MUST...

Cheers
    Carlo

3. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Marc,
    Is this going to be the "clubs" doing the event or SpA? There was information that there would be two different events. The club event in Sept with SpA doing a separate event in May.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Joe,

The dates Ms Arpita Pandya announced are those of the factory event: she is the factory's official Centennial Project manager. She did not mention at all any event in May and this was the official speech during the gala dinner Saturday evening at MIR2013 in Montreux, it does not get more formal.

The clubs will announce any events they might organize separately.

Based on how incredibly well things went at KHAMSIN QUARANTA in June 2012 -I still think it was a dream:)- I may do another event in Burgundy (further south and closer to Geneva) for ALL classic Maseratis next June at an incredible castle owned by friends of mine but want to decide by mid October because if I do it it will be to the same standards.

I discussed this with the various club presidents and Mrs Pandya and they welcome the idea which was very encouraging but what nobody wants is too many events so an important decision. More news on this soon.

The main event of course is the one in Modena in September.

Best regards,

Marc

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Marc,
    If the dates are Sept 19 - 21, will that conflict with the Goodwood Revival which will undoubtedly also feature some type of Maserati tribute?

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Joe,

The Goodwood Revival 2014 dates do not appear to have been announced, correct me if I am wrong but this is all I could find right now...

About | What is the Goodwood Revival?

...but I would hope the factory would avoid a clash...the problem is that the Revival is always set on a weekend when there is no Grand Prix and I would assume Lord March is waiting for the F1 calendar to be frozen which is not yet the case.

Best regards,

Marc

7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    If it is not in direct conflict it would then more than likely be the weekend after Goodwood.

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yep, and exactly a year after this weekend's MIR2013 event which was a week after Goodwood as well and also during a GP weekend.

Best regards,

Marc

9. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I give it 2 weeks for US Maserati owners to start posting about how great it is going to be to ship their cars over and drive them in Europe. Then about 3 months of research where reality sets in, the costs are tabulated plus the just the general BS to end the thread.

Let's just end it now, it is a nice thought, it would be something to remember for a lifetime. But with the dollar getting weaker as the printing presses continue to run, just go and enjoy yourself.

10. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    What about Europeans individually inviting Americans (australians etc) to ride in their cars? Picking them up at their nearest airport, then drive down to Modena.

11. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    actually a nice idea. I would be up for that. Help support the community

12. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    No problem with that, I already booked a room in Modena near the factory. Just an FYI for those in the Northeast, there are nonstop flights into Venice which is much easier to get to Modena than Malpensa.

13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I just stayed in Canalgrande, motel 6 would b a major upgrade. just awful rooms, a real dump. is there a much better choice

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all,

I just resubscribed to Ferrarichat so my mailbox can now receive Private Messages again, HOWEVER, please don't send me questions about the centennial factory event (I will let you know if I hear anything but) I am just another enthusiast, have no connection to that.

Regarding my possible event in Burgundy next June for all classic Maseratis I will decide by Mid october if we go ahead or not so no point messaging me about it before a decison is taken.

What I can say is that there will be facilities for US enthusiasts to securely store their cars in Europe for a few weeks or months so that they may take in several events.

As Joe Corbaccio has said it is not for everyone but it is expected that a small number of US owners will bring their cars: after all they are meant to be driven not tinkered on endlessly and waxed and this is the ultimate occasion. This will be facilitated, not, as far as I know, by the factory but by reliable private parties, door to door.

Best regards,

Marc

15. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #15 Portenos, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1
    As a guy who has shipped his car to Modena, be advised it is a "nightmare"
    In the end I could not legally drive it. So I simply took a Washington State plate over with me and put it on.
    They all thought I was from Washington DC, and I could do no wrong. Once I was stopped by the Carbineri and they saluted and moved me on.

I have an extra WA plate:)
    From the Olivier LeFlaive's hotel here in Puligny-Montrachet, Burgundy France
    Ciao,
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Mithell,
    I enjoy 5 star accomadations just like the next guy, but as you know there is NO Choice in Modena except the Fini which is way out of town and not convenient to the center.
    Your Motel 6 comparison is not even close.
    Sure the rooms are very small and the showers can be smaller than a phone booth, but hey it has very good service and IS in the center. I have been staying there since 1978.
    I will be back there on Fri and Sat.
    Just my 2 lire.
    Hope you are well.
    Ciao,
    FGM

17. Arakis36

Arakis36 Karting

Jul 27, 2007
    Cool Story...
    And a real meal with fine wine as it's supposed to be...

Ciao
    Carlo

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery

Frank you are just 60 miles north of me, welcome:)

If you want to meet around Macon tomorrow as you journey south let me know tonight or first thing.

Regarding shipping it is like your "Car guy" tours to Italy, without, it is chaos, with it is all taken care of.

Maybe see you tomorrow.

Enjoy the Leflaive wines, I interviewed Madame Leflaive 18 months ago!

Best regards,

Marc

19. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    sounds great'
    what is your cel number?
    FGM

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Email just sent, see you tomorrow!

MS

21. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    #21 italiancars, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    FYI There are two Real Fini hotels in Modena one near the factory. The Canal Grande was the long time residence of DeTomaso, I believe his wife may still live there.

22. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    she owns it. met her son at breakfast

23. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #23 Portenos, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Marc, It was a pleasure to meet you today and spend a few hours which included a very nice French country lunch on the beautiful river. The Burgundy region lends itself incredibly well for car events.
    I really believe in your "brand" and think you have done a stellar job on your latest book.
    Your Khamsin event was by all accounts "over the top" Keep up the good work.

Ciao,
    FGM

24. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Joe, Yes, there was 2. The other one was a 5 star behind the Fini Deli in the center of Modena. It closed about 4 years ago and now there is just one, the original Fini Real.
    FGM

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It was very much mutual Frank, really enjoyable, as mentioned we had only ever met once and very briefly at Monterey 2000 which as anyone present then will recall was a blurr. I am glad you enjoyed the visit here and got safely to Turin.

Many thanks indeed for your kind words, I am getting excited now about the possibility of organizing this June 2014 Classic Maserati 100th Anniversary event in Burgundy since the factory and all the clubs reacted positively when I mentioned this at the International event last week.

More news on this here with a final decision by Mid October.

Best regards,

Marc