How many Boras currently for sale? | FerrariChat

How many Boras currently for sale?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by dadams73, Jan 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    This seems like a fair and intersting question, seems I find only 3 stateside and 3 overseas. Good new thread to replace the "fire" one.

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    TY for restarting this thread. There were two Boras at the place I drove the 1977 Bora.

Best

Lee

3. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Lee,

Were you at MC gallery in lauderdale?

4. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    Other than the two at MC Gallery, where is the third one that is stateside?

5. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    There is a 1974 4.9L listed for $110,000.00 at Vanatge Motors in Stamford CT

6. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    The white one on their web site sold a while back.
    Unfortunately most google search hits tend to be outdated.

7. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Got it, I thought it was current. It's still on vantage's site inventory. So are we down to 2 Bora's available in the US?

8. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Why is it that there aren't more Boras for sale? In the current pecking order it doesn't appear to be high up as a must have type of car. Mind you I have a Bora that I wouldn't sell at any price but I must be an extremely rare Bora owner to make that statement. So is it fear of the "green stuff" that keeps demand and prices low therefore market availability and or something totally different?

9. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    From what I understand only a few hundred Bora were imported into the US in the 70's. Many owners are like yourself and are not interested in selling. Many other cars that have sold went back across the ocean to Europe. Market there is hotter for these cars where they are bringing 100+ Euro and up. I purchase mine a month ago after hunting for years. Interesting to watch this market although I plan to hold and enjoy mine for many many years

10. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    I believe we are down to only 1 remaining car.
    If I'm not mistaken, Ivan has purchased one of the two at MC Gallery and Lee seems to be very interested in the other one.

11. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

mc gallery has long been fans of the bora. ed waterman if I recall?

the bora was one of the greatest cars I have ever owned. such a complete and clean design. the ss roof was unique. the interior was and remains sublime...the dash and the seats...the best!

I added wheel spacers for the rear to make the rear wheels and tires fill out the arches a bit better. it looked great and balanced!!!!

I hope Lee makes the move and buys a bora!!!!

pcb

12. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    is really hard to find nice Boras nowadays even in Europe.Have seen a couple of them for sale but US versions converted to EU or some other serious problem.

One 73 EU ex Italian is now under process of restoration in Italy/Czech Rep. Blue with White leather will be soon done after couple of years of resto_Owner still deciding to sell it or not.Hope he will..to me :)

Hope that i will be able to post some pictures here later.

Julius

13. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Pete,

I like the wheel spacer idea, any special parts or lugs needed to achieve this look?

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

dean,

I had them made by a friend of mine who was at hendrick racing at the time. they were made on one of their cnc machines. I was very happy with the look. I don't think the suspension dynamics were hurt in fact...seems it may have been complimentary.

my bora was never driven hard, hard , hard but she did get properly exercised.

pcb

15. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I use 1/4" spacers on the rear, off the shelf variety which work fine, so that I could use 245-60ZR15 tires. I even have had BFG R1s in a 255-60zr15 on there.

235's rub the aluminum anti-roll bar arm just a bit in the front on full lock.
    So don't do that! ;)

Like all these cars decent tires are the issue if you want do really drive them.

XWXs suck.

16. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Dean nice place and very nice people. The Bora I drove and was interested in looked a little worn to me.

I saw you are from NJ. I lived in Flemington. It is a small world

Best

Lee

17. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Guys,
    Thanks for the responses on the spacers as much as I love the Bora lines, I think the rear wheels look much better when moved out of the wells a bit, some pics I've seen of The gr4's look amazing, I'm a stickler for originality even on my newer cars but if I could find those old wider campagnolos I would buy in a NY minute!

Lee, MC gallery is a great place, I love the hidden back warehouses full of old interesting stuff, like a true to life velocity channel TV show. About a year and a half ago I almost bought a red over tan Bora from them. Car was nice but I think the one I found last month was nicer. The silver over red they have looks like a nice! Low mile example sans the tan carpets. Mine is same color scheme with grey - black carpets, and euro bumper conversion (a must IMHO). Apparently if you buy this car, it's the last one for sale in the US and probably 1 of 4 for sale in the world, I'm my book that's pretty cool. You from jersey too, also pretty cool...

18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Lee

Private Message sent.

Ivan

19. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Firstly, wheel spacers are a very bad and potentially dangerous idea for the Boras and Meraks alike. The wheels of these cars are hub centric. This means that the hub takes the stress exerted on the wheel. The job of the lugs and lug nuts is to exert enough horizon force to keep the wheel mated to the mounting pad. When you introduce a wheel spacer you delete the designed function of the hub from the equation. This is potentially a big problem during spirited driving, not to mention speeds above 100 mph.

Secondly, a 15x7.5 wheel and subsequent tire is great if you want a museum piece. If you are looking to enjoy the cars handling potential, want to look period correct, and take the handling performance to the next level, then a 16x8 wheel is a must.

My company markets such a wheel. It is a BBS wheel fitted with aluminum hub centric rings for a precise fit. I am presently running 245s in the rear and 215s in the front on these specific wheels with excellent results.

You can Google "Merak Group" to see what these wheels look like in the gallery and/or products section on our website and soon to be seen on our YouTube channel.

Just Sayin. :)

Ciao,
    George

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    George it works just find with stock wheels and 1/4" spacers. It remains hub centric.

Two trips to the Silver state classic in my Bora (140) mph and one ride in another friends Bora as an entrant in the race (160mph).

BTW, the trip to the race from SF is a lot more fun, just as fast and for longer periods of time.

Just doin' ;)

There are just precious few tires to do this anymore but XWXs would work well for the straight portions of that event. Slow down in the turns which are few and what seems like a very slight bend @ 80 mph requires the entire road @ 160mph.

Today, they wouldn't allow you to run a Bora or any similar car @ those speeds anyway.

21. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Hi Bob,

Yes, you can run your wheels with spacers. The purpose of a hub centric wheel is for the hub to fit directly into the center hole of the wheel. These dimensions are at very close tolerances by design. Once the spacers are introduced you potentialy create a gap as most spacers will not be properly sized for the hub.

On the second hand, if the spacer has been CNC machined [as have been our hub centric rings] so as to fit the hub precisely, then all should be good. I believe .25" thickness is the maximum the industry advises for safety issues.

Ciao,
    George

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    As long as you stay 1/4" and under there's enough of the hub centering nipple on the axle stubs so that you don't need specially machine spacers. Go more than that and besides having a specially machined hub centric spacer such as you're suggesting you have other issues such as needing longer studs in the wheel hub.

It's worked fine for 26 years for me with a few open road races and a moderate amount of track time.

23. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Bob, we r in agreement. You are correct in saying that staying with a .25" thick spacer will still leave some hub exposed. Approx. .25" of the hub will be left by my measurement, not much but it will work. All I am saying is that if the spacer is machined to the same specifications as the wheels mounting pad/hub hole configuration, then the spacer will act in concert with the hub rather than not.

In the process of adding the spacer you forgo the benefit of the stud collars, but I imagine it to be a marginal issue in the overall scheme of things.

As a side note, I did put two 255 tires on the stock Campagnolos for the rear some years back. The tire was the original specified 27" OD. They were the B.F. Goodrich Indy 500 high performance tires. Once on the car, they filled out the rear wheel well very nicely [no spacer], but [there's always a but U know] the tires looked like they came off a truck, also there was an annoying wiggle to them. Believe it or not, I could actually sway the car on those tires while it was standing still. I could feel that excessive back end movement while driving. It all was relinquished to the museum portion of the garage. :) The rest as they say, is history.

Ciao,
    George

24. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    The car I purchased has new Pirelli P4000's installed. They seem to handle and look fine on the car.

25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The BFG R1 tires (my Bora track tires) were a DOT competiton tire of a very unusual construction back then. One sidewall was stiff and the other flexed. There were developed for Corvettes. These have no relation to the tires you're talking about which sound a bit like the 225-70VR15 Goodyear Gatorbacks I tried early on in my Bora ownership. Yes those had soft sidewall and the car felt it way riding in four Hush Puppies. I sold those to FGM for use on a QPIII. The 60 series Michelin XGTs and Gatorbacks were terrific tires for these cars.