Maserati ad on the super bowl | FerrariChat

Maserati ad on the super bowl

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Feb 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    First TV Maserati ad ever if I'm not mistaken.

Times are a changin'.

2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Commercial sucked but ended well when the car finally showed up. Really gets you watching with interest when you its a superbowl commercial and you have no ****ing clue what it's about.

Ghibli is awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

3. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Didn't see that one coming!

4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Doesn't matter if you love it or hate it, it worked. Maserat's website crashed from all the hits.

5. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #5 zygomatic, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    Wish they'd cut the nonsense 'poetry' that led into the commercial. All they needed to do was let the wail of the exhaust and the shape of the car tell the story. Even the non-car people with whom I was watching perked up and asked 'what is that?!' when they heard the car's soundtrack.

Beautiful car. Crap commercial thanks to its "fat monsters" nonsense.

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I cannot believe that the best, most unexpected Superbowl ad was for a Maserati. They deserve to sell a ****load of those things. Fiat Chrysler off to a very good start. I thought it was great.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmpiwU50f5w]Official Maserati Super Bowl Spot | 2014 Ghibli - Strike - YouTube[/ame]

7. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was trippin on that commercial!!!! Had NO CLUE it would be Maserati

One thing for sure - that kid who narrated it will have a career as a voice artist for sure...

Jedi

[GO HAWKS!!!]

8. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    For a car enthusiast, maybe: for a football fan, maybe not so much. I think that ad was awesome. I thought it was an Apple ad for first 15 seconds, and much as I hate those, they do grab people's attention, wanting to know what's coming next. Then I saw the Trident and my jaw dropped to my lap. This ad alone will drive insane interest to the brand and the model. Good for all of us!

And then, to top it off, an ad for Chrysler starring Bob Dylan. I'd say Marchionne has finally started to hit it on the US shores.

Now just start selling those 4Cs here, and call me to let me know mine is ready to pick up. :)

Times they are a changing...

9. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Those who can afford a Ghibli will be looking at getting them. Those who can't have a new goal to aspire to. The whole point of that ad was to say "We're here, and we're awesome."

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Weird commercial. Liked the last 30 seconds of it with the actual car and audio. Not sure what showing a bunch of blue collar stuff the first minute and then a very expensive sedan was supposed to accomplish. Show a bunch of people working with the boss man in his Maser coming to check on them and the workers will strike?! ;):)

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    "The Absolute Opposite of Ordinary"

I like the tagline

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #12 El Wayne, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unfortunately, it wasn't even 30 seconds. The car and car sounds accounted for only 9 seconds (1:11-1:20) out of a 90 second commercial. The only thing it had going for it was the inclusion of this line (which virtually no one will get): "We were like a wind, appearing out of nowhere."

Have to say that I wasn't really impressed with the commercial at all. Perhaps my ongoing disappointment in the Ghibli name being applied to a 4-door sedan (and the "entry-level" car for Maserati) has tainted my judgment.

Ghibli. Ghibli. Ghibli?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    They needed a second spot highlighting more about the car. As a one-two punch that would have been great. it was also a very long ad so it must have been expensive. It was also the #2 ad right? expensive.

14. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Hated the beginning but car sounded nice. Is that the girl from katrina movie? Btw, like the jag ad a lot.

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah, I think the Jag coupe looks much better than the convertible.

I saw one in Silver and black last summer up close. It did not impress but I didn't drive it.
    Very plain jane looking. Maybe with more interesting interior selections and different colors.

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Turned out placing it as the #2 was a brilliant move, there was a lot of press about Jaguar doing their 1st Super Bowl ad and it came in the 4th quarter long after the game was decided and probably a lot of viewers turned off the game.

17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I would have put the second ad before the half time show or just after.

God that show was awful. I didn't realize that The Red Hot Chili Peppers was just a Boy band.

18. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Love it! Alfieri would be proud.

IMHO

Joe

19. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    I still can't get past the Ghibli being a sedan. Nothing like the REAL Ghibli. Its a shame.

20. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I don't u derstand the market for the Ghibli. It's a 3/4 sized QP but still priced so high that I would think most would be able to step upto the QP

21. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Shocked that it was a Maserati commercial. Held your attention. I thought Dylan was brilliant. Liked the jag commercial. Tired of the vw "German engineered" tag line; too old already and it was as boring as the game.

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Goes straight up against the 7 series. The Qporte goes against Bentley and higher priced Mercs.

Its a big leap from 65K to 125K.

23. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    It's 15 grand more than the upstart Hyundai Genesis sedan which are EVERYWHERE here. They're going to make a killing getting people into Maseratis and out of BMW 5, Audi a5, Lexus GS and Genesis sedans.

It's not a 7 series, a7/8, s Class competitor, it's a smaller car. It's easy to price a 7 Series, S Class or Lexus LS near 100k, and to jump from that range to Quattroporte isn't much considering the exclusivity, prestige and performance vs a boring ass Lexus.

24. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I didn't see that coming, either. I wish it had more car. But I guess it had an impact.
    The Mercedes E Class starts at 51,000 and S Class at about 90,000. Jag is about the same. So, what would you rather have at that price point? An Italian supercar that is expected to be as usable as daily driver as a MB, or a car that everyone else has? People either get that or they don't.

25. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    another name would have been appropriate. I hate the reuse of older icons for things that are not like it at all.
    that said, the add was well made but shifting a bit the focus from the kid to seeing the car more would have been better. I get the add of the "small" underdog Maserati that worked long and hard to overtake the big dogs like the germans. that is what the blue collars guys are about.