What colour blue is this Indy? | FerrariChat

What colour blue is this Indy?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Marangen, Mar 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    Looking to repaint my Indy this year and have a very dark navy blue car today. Nearly black. Same interior as in the picture.

Would really like to find a nice new colour for the car, and given this yellowish cream interior, I think this mid- blue car looks great. Anybody knows its name? Even better: a code that modern paint shop can make use of...

Much obliged!

Martin
    (A runner up is the Verde Gemma - or whatever the spelling is)

2. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    #2 Marangen, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Looks like "Celeste metalizzato"

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's a very nice color in person too! Looks good on an Indy.

5. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    Sounds encouraging...

And how can I get a modern paint shop to understand what colour this is? Is there a code for this colour?

Kind regards,

Martin

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Some of the factory paint chips are posted on my website:

http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Paint/Paint-chips.pdf

Celeste Chiaro Indy is 106A32

There is another Celeste Chairo with factory paint code 106A20. That one has a PPG code of 14832

Ivan

7. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    #7 Marangen, Mar 25, 2014
    Would be this green share.
    Also looks fabulous, and a bit more funky/70's.

Would this be Verde Indy as seen in Ivans link? Seller has mentioned Verde Gemma Metallizato as likely colour.

Anybody recognises and knows difference between these two verdes.

Kind regards,

Martin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Here is another Indy in a different green colour. I've seen this one up close and personal, it was offered for sale by Candini in Modena. Very impressive! Probably one of the best Indy's I've ever seen:

http://www.anamera.com/typo3temp/GB/24a4119fcf.jpg

9. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    Nice one as well, but slightly different shade. A bit more aquamarine/blue in it, whereas the one I am looking for is slighly more green/peagreen with tiny bit of yellow/gold in its rather thatn blue. Hard to describe...

Would like to be able to identify colour name for that car. And to find colour code as well...

10. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    I am not very good with colours, but the dark green above looks to me like: Verde Medio metallic.

11. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    I would agree with Verde Medio for the Indy pictured. It looks very handsome indeed. There is a picture of a Ghibli in Verde Gemma 106 G 53 on page 57 of the Ghibli thread.
    Verde Gemma is a rather love or hate colour, it has much more yellow to it and is altogether more 'shouty' in a Lamborghini fashion.....VERY '70s though.

cheers!

Mark.

12. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    On looking at Ivan's colour chips again, I am actually leaning towards Verde Indy, which is 106 G 107 for Glidden Salchi paint.

13. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    Ok I see the Ghibli and know that colour having seen such Ghiblis (or that very same car) on various occasions. Very cool.

But you think that is same green colour as the Indy (rear end) photo that I submitted? Ghibli is very green/gold/yellow...

Verde Medio? Have not heard of that one. You mean that the rear end photo shows that green colour?

Verde Indy? Agree that Ivans link looks a bit like it could be the colour in the photo. But hard to say.

14. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    #14 Marangen, Mar 25, 2014
    Here's another pic of same Indy. Seller says its Gemma so i guess that is correct. Colour maybe looks more green in a garage/shade and then if direct sunshine maybe funky gold/yellow shows through... Could that explain why this Indy looks slightly different to the Ghibli.

And the tricky question: how to make a modern paint shop understand Salchi codes? Anybody with experience here?

Martin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    I think I found the correct colour of the dark green Indy, I think it is: Verde Testudo. If not then probably Verde Medio.

Another possibility that we have to consider, is that this Indy is not painted in an original Maserati colour.

PS:
    That green Indy is for sale for double the money of an Indy.. same price as a Ghibli... probably another car that will remain for sale for many years to come.

16. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    Thanks. interesting. You think car has "dark green" colour?

Testudo? Cannot find on Ivans link.

Have any other good links? Or Salchi/other codes

Regards, martin

17. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    It is one of the dark green colours (Testudo, Medio, etc), if its original at all.

Verde Gemma is light green, so definitely not this one.

Sorry, no idea about the real codes, but I do know that you can ask your local Maserati dealer to find out the codes, or you can get in touch with the Maserati Classic department at the Maserati factory. They'll be able to supply codes for you.

18. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    Martin, color codes aren't as difficult as they used to be, many of these colors can be found here: http://coloronline.glasurit.com/index.php?language=31

In Your shoes i'd keep the original color, dark blue\senape is a great combination, but if you really want to change, the Verde Gemma (I think that it), is absolutely 70-ies fantastic with senape interior. Have a look at the Candini Workshop Ghibli SS for a similar color combo.

Kind regards

Kim
    (with an Ichia blue Indy ;) )

19. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    Hi Kim and many thanks!

A very useful link. Will test from work computer (rather than this iphone... ;) )

And you think my photos show an Indy in Gemma? Still curios about Verde Medio mentioned earlier. You know that?

But car really looks fantastic in a fancy mid-green - with senape interior. Never heard senape before. Was that indy language/name for it?

Agree that blue is also nice, but my car has old/non original navy and too dark and too little metallic. So I will want to go with a new colour. Original was silver. Repainted in 1980...

20. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    As for "dark Green" reference, I definitely do not see the Indy pictures as having dark green.
    It is (at least on my computer) definitely a mid/pea green kind of green.

Verde Medio sounds like it could be an interesting colour. Verde Gemma is also mid green I would say and quite light and indeed flashy.

So I will chase the Gemma and Medio and see what looks best.

:)

21. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    #21 daytonaman, Mar 25, 2014
  22. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    #22 daytonaman, Mar 25, 2014
  23. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    Marangen, the first blue you posted is the Blu Ishia 106A51to illustrate the interior color you have, I have on my car. In direct sunlight she is gray-blue, at night she is dark blue, its elegant on the Indy with the crema (creme) interior.

The different greens that were available on the Indy, the Gemma was the craziest, and I like crazy - on one of the most expensive cars sold in the 70-ies, but I am not sure if I would have dared to do it..

With the more "normal greens" I personally have a preference on the Azzurro Artico 106 A 108 that I think is a fantastic color, while the Verde Indy 106 G 107 may be the prettiest, it is the color that you have two pictures of over and refer to as Gemma.

The Verde Bosco 106 G15 I think is too close to what is commonly referred to as British Racing Green(metallic). Pretty color, but you risk that your car is looking like any other green car in traffic :(

The Indy America 4700 that Maserati Blue is refering to that was sold by Candini Indy (or as I like to call her, the car I should have bought instead...) was Vino Pino 106 G 30, and was fanastically original and extremely pretty but much of her sexyness was because of her combination with the crema (more or less white) interior that contrasted nicely. With a yellow or black interior, I think she would have looked very different. The white interior combined with the big windows everywhere makes the light work well with the exterior color. It is difficult to explain you have to "see" it to understand fully.

The Candini-car is still for sale but for a 45% markup from what it most likely was sold for, this time offered in the UK with Hexagon you can see a video of her here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz5Ik3my9A4]Maserati Indy America - Hexagon Classics - YouTube[/ame]

Interior colors: Your yellowish creme, is known as senape (as in mustard) that is if you are like I am, nerd enough, to be into the 70-ies maserati factory lingo :)

If you contact Maseratis Classiche department and speak or mail with Fabio Collina, you can request the build sheet of the car as well as other documentation.(for a fee)

On the buildsheet, it states what color it was delivered with as well as the interior color.
    If your car has never been repainted, I would think that your buildsheet will state exterior color: Blu Medio 20 A 173 with the Senape interior.

Now over to something more important than colors... If you are in the process of thinking about changing color of her, I am curious to what kind of physical state she is in. The Indy, like all other european cars from the late 60ies and 70ies..are prone to rust and if she hasn't been restored earlier, I would consider doing a bare-metal respray so to make sure that any rust that is lurking underneath the paint is addressed.

As I initially stated, in your shoes, I wouldn't change colors, as these grand old ladies are getting much harder to find with their original spec's intact, and I think that blue\senape is a great looking combination on an Indy!

Now, I think it is time for you to post a picture or two of her here so we can see your Indy in the flesh :)

Kind regards

Kim

24. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    Many thanks Kim! What a perfect response. I think i followed and understood all your comments. You sure seem to know your stuff!

So just to avoid confusion: are you saying that the two pics of a green Indy that I posted were in fact Verde Indy (and NOT Verde Gemma which some people including seller seemed to claim)?

I REALLY think that colour in combo with Senape (yes I'm a nerd as well!) interior is a fantastic combo for the Indy. With all glass the interiour must really be in harmony with exterior.

My car? See attached. Bought in 1978 by Swede travelling to italy to buy such a car. Was factory Silver (forgotten which). He drove it all 6-7000 km up to nearly most northernly city of Sweden. Boden. There it was always in his warm house garage and NEVER driven in rain. I heard of a fantastically well kept Indy up notth and finally spoke to him and now older he was prepared to sell. Car had only been driven very scarcaly during last 10-15-20 years. But always driven and serviced. Basically 0% rust. Thumbnail rustbubbles on one door at the most. Half a thumbnail bubbles on rear hatch lower corner. Some dings and definitely quite a lot of scratches. No major scratches. Interior is REALLY awesome condition. Near new.

Colour? Was repainted in 1980. Honda Accord Blue!!!! :) Guess that that is what they had in the city of Boden at the time. Not a great combo with Senape, yet perfectly ok. But with this new Green colour the car will be AWESOME!!

25. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M