Three old cars in a remote village | FerrariChat

Three old cars in a remote village

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by dmj, Mar 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    #1 dmj, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A hard day at the work... Travelling several hours just to make a photo shooting of three old cars in a remote Dalmatian village. And catch a drive in two of them (oldest one is stationary).

Honestly, working Saturdays could be worse.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Very impressive collection! Thanks for sharing.

3. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    You're welcome. Full story will be in April edition of Croatian Evo magazine.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #4 Nembo1777, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Khamsin is AM120062, the only one in that country as far as I know, here shown getting some exercise a few years ago:).

Best regards,

Marc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    Yes, Khamsin is that one, still with the same owner. Although he says that he'd consider exchanging it for Testarossa, if given an offer. :) Car is in good state, some minor things should need attention but generally ok. Although I don't think that "original tires" and replacement of oil "each 10-15 years" will do good to that car.

Is anything known about its life prior to coming to Croatia? Owner claims that it is the car driven by Emerson Fittipaldi in Monza on a demonstration run - but then, I think that more than one other Khamsin owner shares that claim...

As for QP and Mistral, both were originally for USA market, according to owners. I will post their S/Ns as soon as I got them from the photographer in order to see if cars are known to someone here. Although Mistral came to our shores around 40 years ago.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6 Nembo1777, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Hello Dino,

I know the owner has used it enthusiastically in some events such as touring rallies which is wonderful. I don't have history before his dad acquired the car in Italy around 1982.

Unfortunately it is not AM120024, the actual car that then recently crowned world champion Emerson Fittipaldi drove in 1974. That drive by the way took place not at Monza but at Casale near Alessandria (Italy not Egypt!), a circuit which existed only a few years until a local disgruntltled by the noise took a bulldozer and plowed the entire pit straight one night in the mid seventies!

AM120024 in its very rare light green was used as a press car and then sold to Germany where it disappeared for decades. In the spring of 2012 a good friend of mine found it, still in Germany. Unfortunately it had been repainted grey and needed work.

He therefore decide to sell his other Khamsin and on the first of this month I found him a very good custodian for it which was very satisfying:)

024 should be ready back in its original color all sorted within the next year. We will try to get a photo op with Fittipaldi who visits Europe several times a year.

In the meantime we look forward to your article!

best regards,

Marc Sonnery

Maserati Khamsin Registry

7. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
  8. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    I am very interested in the serial number for the Mistral. "Stationary" does that imply the car did not run? My former Mistral was painted Black and sold to Europe in 1988 or '89. So i am very curious!
    Looks like you had a fun day......

9. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great photos.

10. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    Thanks all. I already checked the Fittipaldi story a few years ago so I know that this isn't the same car, I was just a bit ironic. I presumed it might be the wish of a lot of Khamsin owners to have such a claim. Like all Facel Vega owners stating that their cars were owned by Ava Gardner. Or in my country, claim of owner of each old black Mercedes that it was ex-Tito...

Mistral is S/N AM1091596 and I'd be extremely curious to find out any details about that car.
    According to what they told me it was imported to former Yugoslavia back in Seventies and driven until early Nineties.
    But I'm not fully confident in that story.
    It is sure that car hasn't been driven for at least 20 years.
    Engine is maybe running but has been trashed in the past, locally rebuilt.

Owner also claims some outrageous details (not really believable) about it having a special version of motor, enlarged to 5 litres and around 400 HP.
    It is supposed to be specially made initially for a member of Orsi family.
    Don't think that it has any resemblance to reality but I'm posting it here just in case, maybe something shows up about car's early history.
    BTW, is there any kind of Mistral registry, I wasn't able to find one?

Quattroporte is S/N US 3300897, delivered new in Santa Monica,, California.
    Purchased in USA relatively recently by current owner so car might be familiar to someone here.

Any details related to history of any of these three cars will be much appreciated!

Dino