Engine code | FerrariChat

Engine code

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by tolissoff, Mar 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tolissoff

tolissoff Rookie

Apr 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Hi folks.
    Can anyone assist me with decoding these numbers off a 4.9 engine?
    I'm looking for year of the vehicle and any variant that will indicate specification in case I need parts for this motor. For example, I expect it is a US spec motor and probably 250 - 280bhp.
    Stamping on the bellhousing is AM107/22/49*4316*.
    I am presuming this is associated with the

A small tag affixed to the water pump is #10689
    And the casting numbers are 107 04
    00 MB

All going well, this engine will be the core of the Tipo 151 tribute project which is finally getting back on to the front foot again.

Appreciate any assistance or guidance

Cheers and ciao
    TonyO (in NZ)

2. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    I believe AM107.22.49 would match a USA-spec QP3 4.9 or a USA-spec Kyalami 4.9. I think AM107.23.49 would match an EU-spec engine, but I am not sure.

If I am not mistaken, AM107 went to many models in slightly different variations, like the Bora, the Kyalami and the QP3.

3. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    107 are wet sump engines from the base Series 1 QP. The 49 is well a 4.9 liter engine.

4. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    True, AM107 started with the QP1, but the original poster of the question mentioned an AM107.22 engine, which is came available much later in the QP3.

Plus, the QP1 never had a 4.9 engine only 4.2 and 4.7 I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Bora and Indy engines are stamped as 107, both came as 4.9.

6. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
  7. tolissoff

tolissoff Rookie

Apr 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was let to believe it was a Q'Porte delivered into the US.
    Do you think that the *4316* on the motor stamping is a reference to the car serial number, or the engine serial number?
    The number #10689 is an engine serial?
    The dating of the motor to a year would be helpful if anyone could offer an opinion of what the method of serial numbering was.

8. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    My cars and all the ones I've seen have matching serial numbers. My 1980 QP3 is AM 330/US 0444 and the engine number is AM 107/22/49 0444. I looked around a bit on the web and found a 1983 #3452 and several 1984s with 46xx numbers. There are not many differences in engine parts, but there is a major difference in the block casting, with the automatic transmission (about 1800 of 2100) cars having a shortened block to allow use with a standard bellhousing Torqueflite. Well, almost standard. I saw that my LHD car has a notch machined in the bellhousing to accommodate the starter nose. It seems that the steering rack control valve interferes with the transmission's normal mounting on the left side.

9. tolissoff

tolissoff Rookie

Apr 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    GLB and others.

Thanks for the advice.
    I'll work on it being an '84 car and work it out as we go.

Interesting comment about the shortened block for automatic variants.
    I was wondering why the bellhousing I have for a manual 4.9 was so much smaller, and seemingly so short to fit a flywheel and clutch in it.
    The modified block to suit a Torqueflite explanation makes sense.

For what its worth, a Porsche 928 bellhousing is close to a match, but just a bit shrt on depth. With an adaptor plate it will allow us to make the correct depth for the flywheel and clutch assembly we build and connect the transaxle.

Onward, ever onward.

Thanks again.
    TonyO