Desert Concorso Palm Desert | FerrariChat

Desert Concorso Palm Desert

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Portenos, Mar 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #1 Portenos, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Before yesterday it was all talk, now we can look back at the photos and remember what happened. To those where there, they can say they were there at the beginning.
    However please keep in mind that photos cannot translate the energy level that was felt by those in attendance, and there was a lot of energy.
    It will be interesting to see how the show will be reviewed. We will need to wait for the report cards to come in.

For me it started with the arrival of the Pagani to our house on Friday night while we were having a small dinner pool party for 37 friends. A knock on the door and the Pagani had arrived. One of our guest for the evening was Francesco Zappacosta the Managing director of Pagani, who went out and assisted in off loading the car while all the party goers looked on in amazement! The Pagani spent the night in our garage while my QP got put out in the driveway.

Lots of great Maseratis, and all the other great Italian cars with a sprinkle of non Italian cars invited to join in. Others will be the judge but I was very pleased.
    I loved the google headline which said "Inaugural Desert Concorso brings Incan god of wind to valley" And the Pagani Huayra did just that. But eventually the dust cleared and all had a great time. You would have thought we had spent the day at Laguna Seca.
    Here are some photos.
    Tom Hollfelter won the Best of Show award with his fantastic 450 S #4510.
    Doug brought out several cars from his collection including the MC12 and his A6G Pininfarina Coupe. Malcolm Barksdale brought his newly acquired Ghible 4.7 and Joe Cuny had his 1970 Indy on the lawn. William Burkland was there with his lovely red tan Mistral spider and for me the most fantastic and rarest car was Roland Foss's black Maserati Shamal.
    More photos coming.
    Ciao,
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    Looks to have been a great event!

3. ADCraig

ADCraig Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    West Vancouver, BC
    Looks nice Frank!

Some beautiful cars there, wow.

4. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    #4 luvcoupes, Mar 31, 2014
    Having attended the Monterey Concorso over recent years, this was much a smaller event, but at the same time more intimate and just as enjoyable. And the Maserati section was located in the middle of the show, so seemingly, it was "the showcase" of the event.

Here is a photo of Joe with his 1969 Indy, his daily driver for 26 years.

5. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    #5 luvcoupes, Mar 31, 2014
    The owner, Bob Funari, with his restomoded burgundy Ghibli with the 1994 corvette LT-5 motor and IRS set up, being interviewed by Keith Martin. Ironically, Keith had no idea what the drive train is, and the owner never mentioned it.

This Mexico is owned by Doug of the Riverside International Museum.

6. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #6 Portenos, Mar 31, 2014
  7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Bit confused on the 8C winning a Guigiaro award. The 8C was an in house Alfa Centro Stile design.

8. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Yes we know very well who designed the car.
    The award is presented to the car voted by the judges to have the "best Timeless Design"
    It's just the name of the award.
    Now this will really confuse you.
    The Alfieri Maserati award was presented to a Devin racing car with a corvair engine, with great racing history, which was a very good call,
    Desert Concorso is truly an innovative event.
    Ciao,
    FGM

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Frank if I had an Italian car, I would have been there.

Maybe next time I'll grace the place with a new Alfa 4c. :)