Merak SS pistons. | FerrariChat

Merak SS pistons.

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by unojung, Mar 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. unojung

unojung Karting

May 18, 2006
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Uno Junghans
    Where do people suggest getting a set of new pistons for a Merak SS, and what is expected to pay for a set?
    (Europe or US)

2. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Hello Unojung,

You wouldn't perchance own a Gold [oro whatever - my Italian - not so good] Merak?

Just Wunderin!!!

To answer your question, AFAIK Ross Pistons make a set for the Merak SS. An engine guru once told me that the Maserati piston metallurgy was made in such a way as to expand concurrently with the sleeves as the engine reaches operating temperature. The after market pistons are a concern in that at some point piston expansion rate would be inconsistent with the rest of the engine. Woud the tolerances be too small, or too great at some point? Did I possibly misunderstand - could be. Urban legend - maybe.

Would be good to know some long term results from just such a replacement of pistons.

Ciao,
    George

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    JE Pistons. Contact Steve at Top End Performance in Hollywood, he is extremely knowledgeable and has a very good working relationship for designing pistons with JE.

4. unojung

unojung Karting

May 18, 2006
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Uno Junghans
    Thank you for the pointers, Top End Performance was on my shortlist...

5. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #5 au-yt, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Years ago i actually bought new Pistons for my Std Merak from Maserati Via a dealer, I am not sure if you still can. You could try Carrozzeria Campana in Italy ask to speak to Silvia
    Carrozzeria Campana

Actually MIE have them from memory and these may be JE.

The Key with JE pistons they are forged, but because of the material run Cast clearances, Very important dont let the machine shop run forged clearance of 4 thou. 2.5 for JE and JE will confirm this.

Regards
    Graeme

PS while you at it put guide seals on the exhaust valves.