Wood restoration | FerrariChat

Wood restoration

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Apr 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Since pretty much all Maserati's had at least some amount of wood trim, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread covering recommended practice for restoring the wooden bits. At least for those who choose to tackle it themselves.

I'm planning on taking on a QP3 dashboard and interior. What I'd like to know is if anyone can confirm exactly what sort of wood Maserati used in the QP3, and what finish. I've done some woodworking before, mostly making and fixing furniture, and would like to give the QP3 the same finish it had originally.

From what I can tell from factory pictures and other cars, the wooden trim was almost the same color as the leather, which is quite different than f.x. UK cars where the trim contrasted the rest of the interior. I have seen pics from Middle-Eastern cars with more contrasting wood, but don't know if this was standard, or an option for that market.

I'd like to know if anyone knows how Maserati finished the wood. Was it glossy, semi-gloss, or matte, and what process did they use? French polish (high gloss shellac), or lacquer, or oil with a sealant coat, or even polyurethane?

Many of the older Maserati's have almost no wood trim at all, but a wooden steering wheel, while others, like the the Mexico, offer even more extensive wood trim, the whole dash appearing as one slab of wood.

It seems that the Mexico was something of an anomaly in Maserati's interior, with no cars before or after offering a solid wood dash. From the QP3 and on up to today, it seems wood trim/panels/accents was the rule.

More information about the wood used, as well as finishes would be good to have.