What the hell is this??? Maserati Sebring GTIS | FerrariChat

What the hell is this??? Maserati Sebring GTIS

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 3500 GT, Apr 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #1 3500 GT, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm wondering if one of the great many experts can help me to identify the unique cowling behind the distributor on top of the cylinder head. The car is a right hand drive Sebring GTIS.

It looks to be ducting? A/C ducting??????? Not really sure. Whatever is mounted on it/in it, it uses the cylinder head studs for mounting points.

My Sebring has factory A/C but no ducting like this...................strange.

Photos from Stanford archives: The Collier Collection.

Many thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Doesn't seem like AC ducting but perhaps ducting to cool something on the engine in that spot? I have a similar piece of Maserati duction om my 96 Ghibli for the ABS pump. It goes from the front of the engine compartment along the top of the radiator back to the pump.

Now I know where they reused the idea from! :D

3. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    It's so roughly made that it looks like some sort of after market or custom item... I've never seen anything like it on any of the cars I've viewed..

4. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Looks like something from Pet Boys..
    I bet Ivan or Larry would know what it is...

5. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    Mike, I've had many Sebrings and have a file of about a hundred of them and have never seen anything like it. Whatever it is it looks too amateurish to be a factory item.
    By the way, did you mean Pep Boys or Pet Co?
    Larry

6. paulvv

paulvv Rookie

Feb 20, 2006
    Perhaps worn fuel injection sealing caused a fuel dilution into the crankcase? This could result in excessive crankcase blowby by worn valve guides and rings. Appears to be crankcase ventilation into the intake manifold. Although crude, could delay an engine rebuild....

Paul