'82 Maserati III 4Porte - help! | FerrariChat

'82 Maserati III 4Porte - help!

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 308geo, Apr 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    #1 308geo, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I need information and all input is appreciated on this "barn find", nah..."field find" car.

First off, this IS NOT an advertisement or offer to sell the car, I am only trying to help a friend with some information about it who has been instructed to dispose of some no longer needed inventory assets for the company she works for. One of those items is this gold 1982 Maserati III 4Porte.

What we do know: the car was bought by the current owner around 1986, but has presumably been sitting and not running since around 1991. It does all seem intact, but in rough condition.

The company wants it gone, but we're seeking information of what the car is, what it might be worth, and how it can best be disposed of.

1982 1240 with VIN: ZAMBC1102CA301240

Besides the typical Google and Wikipedia information, rgewe're seeking input, history, and opinions of the model...specifics on this unit, if possible, are also greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

George
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Joedro (eBay) will put it to good use as a parts car. A couple grand? You can get running versions in much better shape than this for $5K thought they're still enormous money pits even if free!

Why do people do this to such cars?

3. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Based on current sale values (around 20-30k euros), it would make a nice parts car, or a donor to complete another "project".

It seems like it needs a complete scrub to remove rust, a whole repaint and either a new interior leather or a very expensive restoration of the existing leather, then add all the little bits like suspension, transmission, etc. So repair costs go up to 20k euros and I haven't even talked about the engine. We can't really guess in what condition the engine is, it could be good or really bad. A complete engine overhaul could add another 10k to the restoration.

Maybe someone like MIE would be interested to buy the car for spare parts?

PS:
    You could contact the Maserati Classic department at the factory and ask some historical information.

4. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Though it is "straight" and the rust seems fairly minimal given how long it's been sitting outside (even in TX) I agree that this is a parts car at best. There are just too many QPIIIs in this shape, and because of that, a car in this shape is not worth more than $2k, maybe tough to get even $1,500, IMO. Best disposal would probably be an auction company locally that would host a sale of all the assets on site, but, next best would be to put on the 'Bay with NO RESERVE. A final option would be to put it on C List in a few major markets that aren't too far away from Dallas. (Houston, Austin, OKC). It would be very easy to put twice as much in to restoring this than it would be worth when done, and ANYONE that cares about these cars enough to even look at them knows it.

Appears to be US spec also?

5. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    I rescued a neglected QP3 here in Dallas recently. It had no interior damage and no rust. I paid $2500 with no haggling and as far as I know, I was the only potential buyer. I hate to see these things being scrapped right and left, but as Chad says, there are just too many around in this condition. You might want to talk to Robert at Shadetree Enginetrics in Nevada (TX). They already have two tired ones, but might have some thoughts about value.

6. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi

From the look of the picture the car is not a prospect for getting back on the road. Interior leather seems pretty well shot and likely there will be rust. There are however some useful parts and being a "rolling parts" car it will have some value. A running and driving parts car is about $1,000 to $3,500.

Parts of value:

1. Wheels $50 to $100 Each if not badly curbed
    2. Motor - up to $500 - I need the heads off a motor
    3. 727 and unique housing - $250 up
    4. Switches and door handles if there are keys

However, if all is broken (rear lights, door handles, etc etc) then the value would be quite low and being left outside so long it may be that most bits are very battle weary.

I would take the first $1,000 to $1,500 unless you can show that the parts are good.

If the suspension cage and A frame is in good shape I may be a buyer if the motor is in.

7. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    George & All,
    I bought a running '80 QPIII for $500 in Calif. I plucked the drive train & suspension, and tried to offer the rest as parts. It seemed like all the QPIII owners had already filled up on their share of spare parts though, and were not interested.
    I still have the hood from the car, and it is available.
    When I see spares for any of my vehicles, a snap them up. It's nice to have that spare on the shelf, for if/when the time comes.
    RF.

8. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    redfred84...

Do you still have the car? I don't remember you offering parts from the car!! But then
    again, I tend to forget more than I reatain :)

Mike

9. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    I'd be interested too...

Can't recall parts being offered from you previously.

And yes, you're right, it's always a good idea to stock up on extras when they show up.