MASERATI GT S | FerrariChat

MASERATI GT S

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by MASR04, Apr 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I thought I had a handle on this, but am second guessing myself.

All GT have paddle shift. Which model(s) have a clutch vs. the ZF transmission?

I see some 2009 S models having buttons and then 2010 models reverting back to the shifter knob.

I swear I am not loosing it!

Please help.

2. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    In 2009 (US cars) there were a limited number of F1 type transmissions. Most were ZF automatics. All autos from 2008 through today are ZF except for those 2009's.

3. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    The most reliable say to distinguish between Cambiocorsa/MC-Shift gearboxes and ZF Auto, is by looking at the centre console, if it has a shifter lever/knob then its a ZF Auto, if it has only the buttons (R=reverse, etc) then its a robotic manual (either normal Cambiocorsa or the rarer MC-Shift variant).

4. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    After I posted this. Context clues and deductive reasoning led me to such theory and you guys just validated it. Thanks!

Wikipedia definitely has an error saying that the 08 is Robotic and 07 was ZF which, if not mistaken, is opposite.

Now, I would like to pose something new. Currently, I own an 86 328 and love it to pieces. However, I am young and thinking about the future. Currently, I am 28 and understand the responsibility I have with my current time capsule.

The car performs fantastic and is the greatest thing since sliced bread in my opinion. That won't always be the case as the vehicle ages. I am more of the motoring type vs. car enthusiast. Love cars, especially exotics. But driving is my forte. Car shows are fun and I make my appearances, but this was bought for the pure enjoyment of tearing up back country roads.

As the car ages and maintenance is required or becomes more regular - not sure if I want that responsibility.

Therefore, I am contemplating the future in 3-7 years of the GT S or my Blue with Badges 456 GTA..

Anyone have experience with both to give me a compare and contrast of these two choices???

5. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    erm, you are trying to compare a contemporary (~5 year old) Maserati to a old-ish (~20+ year old) Ferrari? I am not sure the comparison is possible.

While both cars are GT's, they come from completely different eras.

The Ferrari 456 could be compared to the equivalent Maserati 3200GT for example.

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    GT S would be my pick. It's more modern, no belts and Maserati is increasing its motoring presence will should mean parts will be easier to buy .

Your 328 should age well plus your don't drive that many miles per year which could present more issue than driving it a lot.

IIRC, GTA is the automatic which I don't think you want

7. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Used to own at 3200 GT..

I've put over 4000 miles on the ferrari since August.

I want the automotic. I can handle belts, not trying to put myself in the position of replacing clutches. Otherwise - I'd look at the 550!!!!!

GT S does seem great. Excellent point on the motoring presence. I think we can all relate that no matter how similiar those two companies may be - Ferrari is in a league of its own and holds a presence like no other!

The Masters "Tradition like No Other"

Does this make sense?

8. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Cheaper to change clutch then tranny plus manual is more fun. 550 is the best ticket . I have come to appreciate it that car more and more.

I need backseats so 09 GTS F1 ...

Damn, so you have been driving the 328 ...WAY TO GO! . I've done 22k in 4 years even though I didnt drive it last summer because I was in NC.

what's the farthest you've driven?

9. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    456 Tranny is bullet proof!

180 miles in one afternoon. Back Country roads just outside the city up by the cabin and rural areas

10. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    500 in afternoon then I'm impressed ...lol

11. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #11 raider1968, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I think only 300 made it into the US but not positive - definitely makes the car more nimble

13. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    For anyone with a really keen eye, you will notice the car above does not have a chrome strip around the windows that all the 2009's had - that's because I had them taken off and had the factory ship me the all black painted ones - didn't like the chrome - also replaced the door handles with carbon fiber

14. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #14 raider1968, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I know u never get the costs back on resale but i have promised my daughter I would never sell this car

16. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Speaking of Promises: No F1 for this kid. ZF all the way..

Hahahaha.. How are you Mr. John?

Gonna be in touch this summer about coming up to see you for sure.

I hate to think about that fateful day, but the GT S is an impressive vehicle both on performance and looks. I'd rather pay off some real estate and have it generate income vs. a garage full of cars.

Trying to balance smart financial decisions with still spoiling myself.

17. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    The GTS while super cool, is more of a commitment. Clutch, which last about 30k will be a $10k job, and I have the robotic shifter leaking on mine so its on the watch list and those suckers are expensive.

That said, wouldn't trade it for the world, love the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozj4W6sMSbk

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    F1 only way to go ...

19. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    That's precisely why I have my sights set on the ZF transmission!

Thank you for the validation. When are we all meeting in Raleigh for a afternoon of Cigars and Beer???

Or I'll buy the beer and cigars if ya'll come to Wilmington so I don't have to drive..

Davidoff anyone???

20. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Well the new ZF acts like F1 ...i like not having centre stick.

21. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Don't know what people are doing with their cars that they only get 30k miles on their F1 clutches. I mostly think this is an old wive's tale. It's the same trany as the 599 and one doesn't hear those guys complain about 30k mile clutch changes very often, whereas EVERYONE, whether they own one or not, claim that the Maserati GTS clutches need to be changed at 15k, 20k, 30k miles. Last time it was checked, at 14k miles, I had 15% wear, which projects to a clutch life of 80k miles. We shall see.

22. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    The GranTurismo range comes with two types of F1 gearboxes. The Cambiocorsa F1 gearbox and the MC-Shift gearbox. The MC-Shift is the one that is similar to the Ferarri 599 gearbox.

Since only very few cars come with the MC-Shift gearbox, you understand that almost all cars have the normal Cambiocorsa F1 gearbox.

The owners are not aware of the idiosyncrasies of this gearbox (don't reverse uphill, don't use Auto, don't feather the accelerator on heavy traffic, etc) and thus manage to burn the clutch quite fast.

I've seen GT's with 50+ miles and still using their first clutch. So it's up to the driver.

23. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Great discussion. Juan. At what year do the new ZF respond like a F1??

24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Not sure ..but Piper has a 2013 and his does . I don't believe 2008 - 10 do. I drove the Stradale and it does. It does the throttle blips just like F1 .

25. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I don't believe this to be correct, I doubt very much they used two F1 transmissions for the GTS. While I believe that all GTS's came with the MC Shift (the prior version came with the Cambiocorsa, the 4200GT or Coupe + Spyder), all U.S. GTS F1 cars came with the MC Shift, no exceptions. Only produced for US market in 2009.