1978 Merak Silver - What Paint? | FerrariChat

1978 Merak Silver - What Paint?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Pogliaghi, Apr 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pogliaghi

Pogliaghi Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Hello,

I am going to get my 1978 Argento Metallic silver Merak repainted and was wondering if anyone might be able to give me info on a close match (manufacturer and color code) for this color?

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

please do the paint justice. the meraks are so pretty and great examples are a joy!!

good luck.

3. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    I have "Argento metallic 2c" with code FER101, which shows a slightly bluish silver. I also see another one "Argento 106 E1" which is a grey silver.

You may want to contact your local dealer for the exact paint codes, which you can ask your painter to produce a few samples for you to compare with the car.

4. Pogliaghi

Pogliaghi Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Hi Maserati Blue,

After a bit of research it looks as though my color is called Argento Auteil AR 16287. My silver is a bright silver so I do not think it is the grey silver. I got the info from the Merak Group web site where one can download the list of factory paint codes for the Merak for between 1974 - 1984. I think I am on the right track.

Mike.

5. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    I'm glad you found the right colour!

Since you are in the process of repainting the car, have you considered painting it in another original Maserati colour?

6. Pogliaghi

Pogliaghi Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Yes I have but thought going with the original colors (exterior and interior) would be best in the long run - if I have to sell at some point in the future. What are peoples opinions on this? Is price affect by non original colors?

The other thing is it seems like a change of color would require much more disassembly in order to ensure the new color is in all the nooks and crannies. I don't like the idea of painting one color but on close inspection it is clear that color is not original.

Mike.

7. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Once you paint the car, it no longer has the original paint, so there is no issue about originality, since the car has lost that.

Some people will repaint with the original colour, the car had from the factory, even if they don't like it as a colour. Just to keep the car as close to the original as possible.

While others will repaint the car with a colour they actually like best, but making sure its not just any random colour, but one of the official Maserati colours from the era of the car.

Hard to say that you should do, since this is a very personal choice. For example, one of my cars has the original paint and I'm keeping it like that no matter what. But another car of mine has had a repaint in the 80's, so this one I'm repainting because I know I have already lost the original paint.

I don't know about resale value, it may be important for rarer and more expensive cars?