Maserati Bora registry | FerrariChat

Maserati Bora registry

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by emsiegel13, Jun 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    There was a registry on a different website many years ago that had a large number of the Bora listed by serial number. I was wondering if there is any interest in redoing a registry for the Bora to see what is still in existence. I'll try to help but I am not the greatest on a computer. As a way of kickstarting an updated or new registry, my Bora is AM 117-49-US 1000.

Elliot

2. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Great idea. My Bora is AM117157 if someone with the required skills feel like taking up the challenge. Computer skills ????? i have surprised myself that i can participate with the forum.
    Greg

3. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Well, that's one more. Anyone else want to add to what is a very small list so far?

Elliot

4. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    Sure - AM117 49 US 974. I wish I could help with the implementation, but the last time I used HTML it was with a steam-powered PC. Some of the QP3 owners are in the process of creating a registry and I think the Merak folks graciously gave them their registry code as a starting point.

5. pantera427

pantera427 Rookie

Apr 30, 2009
    Hope this helps, mine is AM.117.231 it is a RHD car and was registered in 1978,
    it is meant to be one of the last made, good luck with forming the registry.

Nick.

6. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Mine is AM117-49-510 US, I could put together an excel spreadsheet with all pertinent data and try to upload it

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If one of you is serious about doing this talk to MaseratiBlue he asked me to do this once. :eek: But he's on the ignore list for me. Or talk to George aka gcmerak he's a huge Merak fan and quite a nice fellow. Both of them are heavily involved with this stuff.

I think they'd let you use their website. Maybe it's already up?

List/data maintenance on a vbulletin style website seems like a bad idea to me.
    But this is a great place to talk about stuff and exchange photos!

I think Ivan may have a copy of that old list produced by Scott McClure. There wasn't very much there except for the parts interchange stuff coalesced from George Perfect's web site and MOCNA's original stuff.

Even though Scott did a great job considering where things were at that time I think someone could do a lot better job of it now and it appears that a few folks are actually taking this car seriously now?

8. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I think to do it right there should be more info given. For example:

VIN # AM117-49-510
    Year Produced: 1973
    Owner: Adams
    Build Specs: US model, LHD, 4.9, Euro bumpers, silver (exact color?), red leather, black carpets & dash

9. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    In order to do a registry, you require one or more dedicated people, who will invest a lot of time. It is definitely not an easy task and not something that will run on its own. Once you've gathered the "easy cars", which are the ones owned by internet people, you'll get stuck with all the weirdo's, the dealers, scammers, and all sorts of doggy stuff.

For the Merak Registry, there are 20+ people behind it, collecting information about the cars and using word-of-mouth to gather owners and professionals under one umbrella (Merak Group).

The QPIII Registry is ready and the owner (William) is preparing to get it up to speed, but he is currently overwhelmed with rebuilding his car.

10. Scenar

Scenar Rookie

May 22, 2014
    at home
    Full Name:
    John leurs
    I still have the 198

11. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Mine is AM 117/49/502 Black with tan interior. Located in No Ca

12. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Having started this, I am willing to help if I can get more people who are better at computers than I am. I am fully aware that my initial post was rudimentary at best and I agree that additional information should be part of any database than can be put together. If a few more people want to give up some time I will also volunteer but like it has been said this is a big project and will require some substantial dedication and time.

In the meantime, I will start making a list of the serial numbers submitted and if everyone would add to their previous postings the color of their car as it is now and perhaps what it was when it left the factory, whether the car is right hand or left hand steer, 4.7 or 49 liters and the interior color currently or when it left the factory it would make for a bit more complete listing. Starting with that basic information would lay the groundwork for a more extensive database in the future but let's not get overly ambitious in the early stages.

I hope this subject will appeal to a few more people so the Bora can be added to the list of 50's, 60's and 70's cars that are slowly beginning to capture the imagination of the greater vintage car community.

Elliot

13. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    AM117 49 US 974, Rosso Fuoco, black interior, both from new, 4.9, LHD, 1977, converted to Euro bumpers. Located in Dallas, Texas

14. Angus81

Angus81 Karting

Oct 15, 2011
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Angus Young
  15. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Everything Maserati Blue said and more!

The Bora community must come together first of all. We of the Merak Group have in excess of 50 owners thoughout the world working together for the betterment of the Merak. So it must be with the Bora.

The Merak Registry, Merak Group website, and Merak Group Channel [YouTube] work together as one, each division supporting the other. This configuration is essential and requires time, dedication, committment, and above all, passion for the marque/model.

Once the above elements are in place, as Maserati Blue said, it must be nurtured to grow.
    When it does grow, it is very very exciting.

Ciao,
    George

16. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Responding to what gcmerak has posted, I hope that I will be joined by others of the Bora community so we can reach the heights of the Merak people. I hope to hear from other Bora owners who will volunteer some of their time so we can have a firm registry in place in a few years.

Elliot

17. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    #17 alfieri107, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, it takes a bit of time at the beginning. I'm working the Tipo 107 registry on my own... but there are so many helpful people out there who provide me with information: thank you all of you, great to have your help!!. See the registry here: www.tipo107.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Indeed, great work and a tons of information!

I've been meaning to track down a QPI owned by someone I know and submit it to you, hopefully soon...

19. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    My Bora is AM117157 if someone with the required skills feel like taking up the challenge. Computer skills ????? i have surprised myself that i can participate with the forum.
    Greg

Located in Sydney Australia.
    Current color :Red
    Original Color: Verde Indy
    Interior Color : Bianco pac1544
    Right hand drive.
    4.7 L
    The current is currently going through a bare metal restoration.

20. cwcmaser

cwcmaser Karting

Nov 8, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Full Name:
    Colin W. Craig
    My Bora:
    1974 AM 117/49 US *678* 4.9L Oro Kelso Metallizzato paint (presently being repainted to that original colour from bare metal) - it was 'Maserati Red' when I bought it back in 1982 in Toronto; Parchment leather; with dark gray carpets. Lovely example of Giugiaro's design skill and probably one of the best exemplar of the 'iron fist in a velvet glove' idiom.
    Cheers, Colin W. Craig - North Vancouver, B.C.

21. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Great, and long overdue. S/N = '626 is a 1973 LHD USA 4.9 Silver/Red(int.) that was sold new in LA then (those colors), and has been in SoCal ever since (mine since 1986).

The desire for reviving a Bora Registry has been building, and we have a fine example set by the Merak site. They seem kind to offer what help would be effortless copying work, and also to offer for-fee low rate from their website tech' team -- if I understood correctly. Once a framework is in place, then there's the effort of editing and tending. Much desirable material is available, and the current posters/website owners should be asked. Ivan's website has many items of interest specific to the Bora, and he should be asked if that can be copied to a BR site, with attribution of course. The factory postings on their website can be pointed to, and/or copied (after correction). Given the heritage of the basics of that V8 (of various displacements, etc), a special section should created to trace its development from at least the 450S on through the 70's. Nice that the factory site does list BORA as having the 450S as its direct predecessor and the MC12 as direct successor--showing the level of elevation for this model.

Elliot--good work to post this and stir the pot. Now we can see if any owners (or their kids or grandkids) can be enlisted. Meanwhile, if we can collect centrally the already published materials (with attribution and permission), we just need some standards in what formats would be acceptable and where/how to send such.

THANKS for getting this going. Will try to be an active participant, and to find the materials I've collected over time.

Best regards,
    Ned

22. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    You understood wrong. We offer a complete website, including graphics work and database search features, and all tech team support is free. Well, everything is free, we give it all away.

There is one catch. Someone has to actually run the registry, the website will not add cars out of thin air ;)

23. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    When the tide rises, all boats are lifted.

Of course if there is a hole in the hull, there will be a problem.

Just Sayin! :)

Ciao,
    George

24. Villard

Villard Rookie

Nov 19, 2013
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    VILLARD
    Hi all

My one, originally Argento Auteuil, following Thepenier register, now Rosso Fuoco, under restoration, no trace of the original paint.
    I'm only the 3d owner, the fist one keep it only 6 months.

Black original interiors.

25. Angus81

Angus81 Karting

Oct 15, 2011
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Angus Young
    Great if you have some photos of the 117.740 I would be very interested for the register